Steam train in Fargo

Lee

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
I just caught the tail end of a news segment on KVLY. I thought they said it was a steam excursion train went through Fargo and would be going back through on its return trip. The little I saw it looked like a Southern Pacific Daylight engine, black with orange and red paint. Does anybody know when it will be coming back through and more info on the engine?

I've been following this for a few days. The last time a steam locomotive went through Fargo was the American Freedom Train in 1976. Incidentally it was the same engine. It should arrive tonight at 5 PM. It will depart at 8AM tomorrow, and travel to Minneapolis via Staples. Tickets for this leg are still available.

In October the train will pass through Fargo on its journey back to its base in Portland.

http://trainfestival2009.com/4449-schedule.php

http://trainfestival2009.com/ticket...roduct_info&cPath=12_13_15_21&products_id=200

Beautiful Locomotive on a beautiful day!:thumb:
daylight11.jpg

Rick, where did you take the picture?

Spencer, did you see it in Fargo or elsewhere? I missed it. :(

It is sitting just north of the 12th Ave viaduct on the siding that goes to NDSU.

Katy heard the train coming north of Harwood (whistle) and grabbed the camera and headed out the door. She got quite a few pictures of it between here and Fargo, and some in Fargo, but I am too tired to transfer them to the computer now. I will try to get some up here eventually.

She said there were lots of Rollag people there while she was there.

If I understand correctly, the train will leave Fargo at 8:30 Thursday AM.

Crystal,

It was just east of the 12th avenue bridge right along 12th avenue. The crossing at its pilot plow is the road that goes past the greenhouses on the NDSU campus. It will be back through in October and tickets will be available for the private cars that it pulls.

You can keep up with it on their web site www.sp4449.com

Rick

I was fortunate enough this morning to see 4449 and also get up in the cab and visit with the crew. My daughter, Amanda, stopped by last evening and talked her way into the cab of the locomotive. She explained how we are steam nuts and got a personal tour of the whole train on Wednesday night. She called me at 10:15 last night and said that if I was there early enough this morning she had made arrangements for Ted and I to get in the cab and look it over. We were there plenty early, took some good pictures, visited with the crew, watched it leave and caught it just east of Dilworth again. It was a great way to start the day!

Thanks Amanda!!

Now that's cool Pete! I am not really a train guy, but I would never pass a chance to get a tour of something like that!

Great to have friends (or daughters) in high places!

Mark, Amanda got the full tour so she can tell you all about it. Ted and I just got the locomotive tour, which being a steam guy is all I needed to see but it would have been nice to see the rest.

Not to mess with your info spencer but engine 261 was thru fargo in 97 or 98. It was on a run for BNSF family appreciation days. It stopped in Grand Forks and I thought it over nighted in fargo. I happened across it by chance because I heard her whistle as they crossed at the amtrak in GF. This trip wasn't for public though.

pathill;6566 said:
Not to mess with your info spencer but engine 261 was thru fargo in 97 or 98. It was on a run for BNSF family appreciation days. It stopped in Grand Forks and I thought it over nighted in fargo. I happened across it by chance because I heard her whistle as they crossed at the amtrak in GF. This trip wasn't for public though.

I distinctly remember seeing a steam train in Fargo sometime in past 28 years in the area, and I remember going to NDSU to see it parked there overnight. Problem is I can't remember which one (engine) or when it was. Perhaps it was 261 Pat?

One of the local news stations said the last time a steam locomotive stayed in Fargo over night was in 1976, but I knew I had seen one before. It was not worth the effort to me to hunt it down, so this solves the mystery for me!

Thanks Pat!

I appreciate the correction Pat. 97 eh? I was in 3rd grade I think (but don't hold me to it) :rof:

Hmmmmmm............one came through Jamestown in August of '98, eastbound. I can't remember if it was a public trip or just for BNSF people. A friend of mine who is an engineer for BNSF rode from Mandan to Fargo on that one. Is that the trip of 261 of which you speak? I was fortunate enough to be home to watch 'er go by, but didn't have my camera handy. I live right by the tracks in J-Town!

:bump:

Sp 4449 will be departing Minneapolis on Tuesday October 13th heading for Fargo. Just thought a reminder was in order.

I was fortunate enough to attend the Steam Train Fest in Owosso, MI in July. Absolutely FABULOUS!!! If you love steam trains, it was the place to be!!:thumb:

Here's the 4449:

Beth

For whatever reason the 4449 is spending the night in Dillworth, not in Fargo. Not sure why, just passing the info along.

O-Nite in Dilworth, MN

f150tom;6933 said:
For whatever reason the 4449 is spending the night in Dillworth, not in Fargo. Not sure why, just passing the info along.
I think the mgt of the excursion decided to keep SP 4449 under cover for the night as Dilworth has big BNSF yard (w/covered train sheds?) I know you are all having a butt-kickin cold fall (early winter? I hope not. Where is our old Indian (Native American) Summer?)

Wish I were there. Saw this engine twice in 1975 then it was pulling the Freedom Train.:smilie_flagge13: Just wish I could be at the Fargo AMTRAK station tommorrow. I bet you that it will pull out & be on way at 08:00 AM.

Ted

Back