WMSTR Lifetime Member
The pictures of of the recently restorred American Toolworks Shaper

Before
AmericanShaper01.jpg

LH side of the machine after a little cleaning up
AmericanShaper21.jpg

RH side of the machine after repairs
AmericanShaper19.jpg

Most mechanical shapers have what's called a Witworth Quick return mechanism. This allows the machine to have a slow, high force power stroke and a quick return. The leadscrew at the center allows the stroke distance to be varried. This machine also has a 2 speed transmission (nothing but the best for the WMSTR shop)
AmericanShaper22.jpg

NEAT Lathe

This is our recently restored National Engineering and Tool Works (NEAT) lathe. It's an interesting little machine as it has power table feed, power cross feed and a 2 speed back gear. It's a 14" machine

After sitting in a barn near Esko for 30 years (not bad, actually)
NearLathe01.jpg

After a couple weekends of TLC
NearLathe20.jpg

We do have the tailstock, face plate and chucks for this guy; just not put on yet.
NearLathe22.jpg

Here's the next project; Danny Roen's Southbend (some assembly required)
SouthbendLathe21.jpg

The Machine shop in action 2008

Here's the shop in action during the 2008 show. Most of the work being done here is on castings for the foundry.
Shop200803.jpg

The 10 hp Farbanks that runs the whole mess. If anyone out there knows how to get these things to run at a CONSTANT speed, I'd like to talk to you (or better yet get some help). She runs OK for about 2-3 hours then speeds up and slows down wildly (I've never had the "touch" with gas engines). As we're going to start doing serious machine work this year, (milling machine, shaper, multiple lathes) we really need the shaft speed to be steady.

FMEngine1.jpg

WOW!
I can see the RR needs to build a direct path from the Ellingson Roundhouse.

You have been busy this past winter Mark! Everything looks great!!! Good thing we are building another steam engine storage building... it won't be long and you are going to have that building full! Outstanding exhibit!

And about your speed problem... You need to forget about the gas engine and go steam!:bannana:

Mark:
Don't listen to Mark and stick with that gas engine, You don't need a fireman, engineer and no boiler inspections etc.

See you in June and will look at the engine usually very minor problem.

Great work Mark. I can't wait to see them hooked up to the line shaft and doing their thing!:bannana:

Table drill press

I was at an auction today and bought a bench mounted drill press for $3.00.
There is a "V" belt pulley on the back which is on a shaft with a 2-flat belt pulley set. This is at the base of the unit. Power is then transferred to the top of the drill press by a flat belt. There are two speeds to this drill press. Low and high, depending on which pulley you put the belt.
The name forged on the upper frame is "CANEDY OTTO MFG Co., Chicago, Ill.
If someone could/would give me a phone number of which I may use to send some pictures, My wife can take pictures with her phone and send them to you.
I bid on this drill press with the hope of getting it into your machine shop. I do not know the weight of the drill press, but it is HEAVY !!
Transfer of the unit will probably be by me making a trip to Rollag. Based on the weight, I think that I cannot send it for $10.00.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Paul McCracken

My phone # is 763-258-4666. I'm working in the machine shop at rollag right now if you're around.

bench drill press

Mark;
Thank you for your phone number.
Charlene just returned home from her client ( she is a CNA doing home health care), so she will not be able to take pictures untill after 3:30 PM, Sunday.
I would REALLY like to be at Rollag now, but cannot. I still have to work at what used to be Penberthy, untill TYCO Valves and Controls starts laying people off and I go out the door ( that may be around October 1).
Thank you for your time.
Paul

Mark,

If you're around preshow, I'd like to get some information on all of your equipment and setup in your shop for the DVD!

Back