McCormick Deering "M" 3 HP Restore

Craig Mattson

Vice President, Mega Poster
Administrator
WMSTR Lifetime Member
I am just starting to restore a McCormick Deering type M 3 HP. I have never ran or done anything with a hit and miss engine. It is a 1927 with a serial of BW20933. It is a spark plug ignition type. I plan on doing a full overhaul as it is in pretty bad shape. It says it will run on Gas or Kero. What are the pro's and con's of both. Any other tips or information on this engine is greatly appreciated. Thanks! I will post pictures shortly.

Gas is a lot cheaper than Kerosene these days. Not the case back when this engine was manufactured. That was the reason most ran on kerosene, or "distillate".

Lets see some pictures Craig!

I will take some tomorrow when its light out. In the mean time i am looking for a wico ek magmeto. If anyone has or knows of someone who has one cheap please let me know. They are horribly expensive online.

Here it is!

HERE IT IS. I will post more later.
2012-04-18_20-51-25_58.jpg

More Pictures

2012-04-19_09-56-52_348.jpg

As you can see the magneto is missing. It is supposed to have a Wico type EK
2012-04-19_09-56-45_416.jpg

2012-04-19_09-56-38_845.jpg

2012-04-19_09-56-17_734.jpg

2012-04-19_09-56-08_463.jpg

More Pictures

2012-04-19_09-55-49_379.jpg

Quite a bit of work needed with the carb and valving
2012-04-19_09-55-43_300.jpg

2012-04-18_10-51-50_420.jpg

No. BW20933 According to serial number it was made in 1927
It is a 3 HP spark plug type.

Craig,

Your engine needs a bit of work. That should keep you off the streets for a while
icon7.gif

I wish you luck in your quest for a magneto.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

It does look like quite the project on the plus side theres parts available out there. If you look on ebay every once in awhile parts come up and recommend smokstak.com or enginads.com (yes I know letters are missing) thats how they're spelt they are both tied in togther go to stak for the info and ads for parts.

Good luck keep us posted :thumb:

Thanks Ned! I am a member of both sites as well and have the same thread going on smokstak. I will check around on ebay. Thanks again!

I am pretty new to babbitting. Noah and Ken are going to help me pour. What type alloy should be used? Also where do you get babbitt and can you reuse the old?

hey craig try rudy adrean he is my resadent canadiean mganeto guy he might have one or he can find one. i have a 1920 3hp m mccormick igniter. when i bought it 90%of the work was done for me i only had to plumb the fuel lines. where im going with this it is a warning to you. two years ago she threw the piston rod. i never checked them to see if they were dubbled nutted or cotterpined. so before you start youre m check them. if you have any questions that need to be asked you can find me at the milkhouse or with phill from the foundry (look for a grey dodge with blue topper) stephan

Thanks! I have it. Completely apart along with lots of notes as to how things were and lots of pics. Mine had cotter pin. Thanks again!

Well after a week soaking in Deisel fuel the fuel pump finally came apart. Very neat yet simple pump.

The manual i ordered only has a diagram for the 1 needle gas only carb. I have the 3 needle type gas water and kero. Does anyone know where i can find a diagram and some info on this carb?

Thanks much!

Craig,

If you have not found this site yet, there are some good resources here includeing the full McCormick Deering Gas Engine book. I don't remember if there is anything specific about your 3 needle carb there, but thought I would pass it on. There is another site that I used when I re did my 1.5 horse but I will need to locate the link to it.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/hammink/web/my__type.htm

Darren

Thre are a few parts i cant get from hit n miss ent. Are there any other places to get other parts.

Does anyone have a carb or governor side flywheel for an IHC/ McCormick Deering 3 horse type M or know where to get one? There are alot of smaller misc parts I need too if you have any you would be willing to sell.

I am not to the painting part yet but figured if i ask early there is time to study up!
smile.gif
I am pretty new to painting engines etc and it seems like it never looks as good as it should when done. The main body I can get looking great but ince you put it all together it binds on paint and the hardware and fasteners just dont look good. Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated

Also any tips on parts to paint of not paint would be great

Back