Circular Pastry tasting day schedule

louie

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
The next circular Pastry tasting day is fast approaching fact it is this coming weekend the usual rounds of trading useless information with anyone who listen will start off the day followed by the tasting event remember portraits will be available if you desire we also have a few projects that need some attention all the parts are in for the mower deck there are still some garbage rings to finish assembly of the sawdust extractor fan for the B and R sawmill all the metal is cut for the bleachers needs to be welded together we have a case portable engine that needs glued installed the AC forklift needs to be finished up install water temp guage points and condenser cap and rotor lunch will be served a good time by all is usually had so if you need some entertainment on Saturday come and join us at Larson Welding on Saturday

Hi Louie and all others,

2019 was a tough year for crops and harvesting around here. Are we able to get local donuts? Or, will we have to get imported donuts?

Last month we took the Woods mower apart. If the seals and bearings are in we can start putting that back together.

I am looking forward to seeing some Rollag friends again this weekend.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Hi all,

We had another great work day on Saturday. The donuts were excellent as usual.
Last month we took the Woods mower apart to learn what we needed to do get it ready for next summer.
When we took it apart, we worked on the floor.

P_20200111_082315.jpg
This month we got a bit smarter. Louie is getting ready to lift it up with the chain hoist. Then we set it on a couple stands so we could work at a more comfortable height. Alex and Patrick, on the left side, were part of the crew working on the mower.

That is the American Able in the background. That was not on our job list for the weekend. It is getting a bit of boiler work and it looked like the main bearings were re-babbited.

In the back room, Tom H and Gary M were getting garbage bag loops ready to weld up.
P_20200111_082322.jpg

The steam engine is a 30Hp Case portable that was ready for new flues.

P_20200111_082327.jpg

Clayton L stopped by for a bit to give Kelly M some pointers on working on the 30HP Case.

More work was done on the pistons for the Kentuckian crowd engine.
P_20200111_082355.jpg
Brett C was working on the same lathe that he and Ray W were using last month.

P_20200111_082403.jpg
Sanders E was on better behavior this month. When he worked on the other piston he didn't have to be way back in the corner.

Three of the four caster wheels on the Woods mower were bent. Jim B straightened them for us.
P_20200111_090444.jpg

Below Alex, Alex, and Patrick working on the Woods. Harlan came back again this month and Seth H joined crew. I didn't get them in a picture.

P_20200111_090448.jpg

The caster wheels got new bearings and seals. The spindles for the blades got new bearings and seals. We put hoses on the spindles to the grease zerks are easy to get to. The gear case mount that was nearly broken in two was welded up and reinforced. The gear box got new seals.

Brian and Tim did more work on the sawdust fan.

P_20200111_090452.jpg
They were back behind the American Able. If you look in smoke box of the Able you can see part of the flue sheet is cut out.
P_20200111_094955.jpg
Brian, Kenneth and Tim are near the coffee pot taking a short break.

More to come,
Jerry Christiansen

Hi again,

About noon the crew from Casey Joe's Catering brought a great dinner for us. The dinner alone makes the day worthwhile. Thanks to everyone that takes care of that!

A few more pictures.

I tried to get a picture of Ray W working. This is as close as I could get.:)...
P_20200111_095012.jpg
I am not sure if much was getting done on the piston, or if these two were just posing for pictures. Ray was working on making a piston rod for the crowd engine on another lathe just to the right of where Brett was working.

I am not sure who is welding, can someone provide a name? SD Jon is in the background.
P_20200111_095036.jpg
We had a couple crews welding angle iron pieces together to make risers for bleachers. A finished riser can be seen between the person welding and Jon.

Another welding station on the left.
P_20200111_095043.jpg
On the right Louie, Wimpy, Clayton L and Bob M were busy planning. The forklift got more attention and was running pretty good at the end of the day.

Bob spent a lot of time at the drill press making parts for the bleacher risers.
P_20200111_112420.jpg
Here Bob is working with either Alex or Patrick. In this picture they are drilling a hole near the end of a rod. This is one of the rods that holds the short chain sections on the Woods mower.

I am not sure if that is the angelic glow that follows SD Jon around, or if it light coming in the window.
P_20200111_112438.jpg
Jon and Bryce set up and welded some risers together. Later, Bryce was welding on garbage rings.

P_20200111_153544.jpg
This is the completed fan for the sawdust blower getting set on a pallet to be hauled out. The fan is done and ready to be installed next spring.

P_20200111_153606.jpg

A bunch of garbage rings ready to be set up on the grounds.

P_20200111_163139.jpg
Ray and Brett were the last ones working on Saturday. Here they are threading a hold through the middle of the piston. I believe there is a bit more work to do on this piston. I don't know if Sanders got the other one completed or not.

By the end of the day the Woods mower was nearly complete, a couple more hours next month and it should be done. Comments were made that the mower would stand up better if some folks realized it is a finish mower and not a land leveler.

The bleacher risers are all welded up.
All the garbage rings are done,
The tubes were in the 30Hp case and rolled. I think they still need to be beaded over. (Is that the correct term?)
The sawdust fan for the Briden-Roen sawmill is done.
The forklift is ready to roll.
The pistons for the crowd engine are nearly done along with at least one piston rod.

If I missed some things, I hope someone else will join the conversation.
Keep watching for the February Donut tasting.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Thanks again Jerry for the picture story! I really like seeing the Woods mower rebuilt instead of spending a bunch of money to replace it... I am sure it is as goos as new and will work accordingly. Nice to save all of those $$$!

That Welder might be Gary Muhl, I caught him at that welding table at lunch time.

Thanks Jerry! It's nice to see familiar faces and what was accomplished when I don't get there. Glad to see the sawdust blower is ready to go again--lots of brazing I see. I still remember jumping when it literally exploded about 12 feet behind me. We were done for the day/show.

Back