Check Craigslist/Illinois

80pfd

Intermediate Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Found an engine for sale on the craigslist web site.
It is a Reeves in Poplar Grove, Illinois.
Go to craigslist; then hit -- Illinois; then -- Rockford; then -- antiques; then go to Sunday, Nov. 1.
If you have close to about $30,000, you maybe can take it home for Christmas.
Wish I could, but the lottery has not helped me yet.
Paul McCracken

80pfd;6999 said:
Go to craigslist; then hit -- Illinois; then -- Rockford; then -- antiques; then go to Sunday, Nov. 1.

Or you could just click HERE

Nice find Paul! Wish I had the funding too. Sure looks to be in good shape, and complete! I wonder how the boiler is. Not much said in the ad.

Reine de vapeur;7010 said:
Too bad they don't say anything about the engine. It needs the proper stack and water tanks......

Beth

I noticed that too Beth... The tanks look like 55 gallon barrels! Stack is missing that "funnel" characteristic.

One thing that looks good is the canopy. It looks like it might have had some attention lately.

It would be a good project for someone IF the boiler is any good. If not, it could get spendy!

Mark,

A bit self serving here, but here are 2 photos of my family's 32 Reeves. Its canopy isn't nearly as "turtle" or Frick like as the one for sale. We uses the original bows, so we believe it is correct. We did use a bit wider slats for strength.

I took multiple photos of the canopy for Mike Kennedy and his 20 Reeves. He didn't think a canopy would stay on while hauling. Our 32 has been hauled a lot of miles with no problem....other than folks who don't pay attention to it being 12 ft wide!

Its pose on the hill show the correct smoke stack and tanks pretty well.

Sorry for the derail. The 32 is bigger than the one listed for sale and older with SN #6269 & 6778 (had to change the boiler....)

Beth

Nice engine Beth... I don't frequent "stak" (time issue) so I am not familiar with too many engines / owners outside of my little WMSTR world (and to a lesser extent CNDSTR in New Rockford, ND).

I do like the 32 Reeves. How many configurations of them did they build?

I get to "play" with Mark Pedersen's 32 (double simple) in New Rockford every year. I think most of it is original as well. He and Rick built new side tanks for it a few years back, and they have the parts to build the back tank, though with Marks 40 Avery project the back tank is on the back burner.

Here is a picture of Mark's 32. I am sure you have seen it before...

Reevesgroup.jpg

There is more of it in THIS thread... even a video of it on Jerry's Prony Brake.

That is quite a whistle Beth!:eek: It is probably a good thing it is on a 32. I would think it would take a bit of steam if you haul back on the cord for it.

Rick

Hi Mark & Rick,

You need to come East in June for National Threshers & see the big girl in action. It came out of the Judith Basin back in the 50's. Charlie Harrison found the "new" boiler for it 200 miles North of Saskatoon in Montana.

Here's a clip of it on the prony. While it really is a cool engine...it isn't operator friendly (too much in your face & it is a pig for coal and water...) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp8O22ZMNuY That cross compound doesn't have a nice bark either...

Here's a clip of it going through the parade at NTA and the big whistle. It was part of a tree that was broken up nearly 30 yrs ago. My Dad didn't want to spend $900 on the other 2 whistles!!:sad: Hind sight is 20/20! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKkhhuOwnvY

If memory serves Mark's 32 is an American 32. Ours is a "Canadian Special" cross compound. The parts won't interchange. Ours has power steering (watch out for that steer knob, it really flies!) and if you look closely, you'll see that the platform has been extended back (still too limited on space up there) and the rear tank was laid down. By laying that tank down, the coal bunker capacity was increased and the operator can see over the back better. We usually back it around at shows because it is next to impossible to see what is in front of you!

While I spend WAYYYY too much time on Stak, I enjoy monitoring this site and a few others too. I really enjoyed my first trip to Rollag this year. It is always fun to compare shows and ideas. We are always trying to improve our show as well as others.

NTA is featuring Minnie next year and we hope to have the Steam Hollow gang there with the 22 return flue...and anything else that will fit on the trailer. We've convinced Kevin & Kory Anderson of how much fun NTA can be, we are always looking for more converts and vice versa. More of us are heading West to visit shows there too!

Beth

Great video Beth!

Awesome whistle!!! The crowd sure loved it!

I would sure like to get to some other shows... the ones further away, but right now work does not allow it! Retirement will come too soon, and I will have to make some time to do some traveling!

BTW... I think the problem with your last video link is that the forum will only allow 2 video's per post. I was going to move your last link to another post, but then realized that the post would be by me (vs. you)!

Put your last video link in a new post if you would (can still be in this thread) and I will edit it out of your last post for you.

This last clip is of my brother taking it up the hill at NTA. We have a steam generator on it. Light bulbs ring the inner side of the canopy & power the head light. Rol likes to throw sparks with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMClAc8Oz5g

We have a tendency to really enjoy spark shows over here. I really liked your steam shovel spark show for something different. It was fun to hear them work as they threw sparks.

Thanks for letting me derail the thread. I hope this Reeves finds a good home and be put back under steam!!

Beth

Thanks for the clips Beth. I was sorry to hear that you were at Rollag this year and did not get to meet you.

A lot of tired iron got preserved and has migrated out of the Judith Basin and surrounding areas of Montana. A few of us "heritage" steam engineers have been traveling that area every spring for the last four or so years visiting some of the machinery that is still there. I really like that country and if it were not for the high property values and cost of living I could be pretty easily persuaded to move there.

Marks 32 at New Rockford is indeed an American. 125# You are correct about a Reeves taking water to run and at the low pressure you really need all the tender capacity you can get.

If the good Lord lets me live long enough we really do want to take in some other steam shows in the country and yours is on the list.

Thanks for the posts!
Rick

Rick,

My goal was to be a spectator at Rollag....almost made that, but kept meeting new & old friends! It was nice taking the 22 return flue Minnie & the 25 Reeves for spins!:thumb: Three of us came out, so that made the trip more economical.

Since this thread is about the Reeves that is For Sale and our 32 is definately much bigger, I thought I'd attach 2 Rollag attendees for comparision.

The first is Mike Kennedy's 20 hp. It shows the correct stack and saddle tanks.

The next are 2 shots of the 25 Reeves (sorry, I didn't catch the owner's name). I enjoyed comparing it to our 32. The canopy slats are thinner than ours. I really like the configuration of that platform. It has the same cast iron platform that my brother's 16 DS Reeves has (but currently broken in half) and rear entry-you can almost fire from the ground. The spare tank on the 32 makes it a most inconvenient platform setting!

Does anyone have additional information on the engine that is For Sale?

Thanks
Beth

Back