Caterpillar winter project

Ok all you dual overhead-cam engine nuts, just so you know, Caterpillar was using that technology back in the 30s. Below is a picture of the pony motor with the top crankcase manifold removed. I was on my way back together at this point with new valves, piston rings and bearings.
fetch
Here's a picture of the note that came with the new valves, which I thought was quite interesting.
fetch
This was the packaging that the valves came in. The valves were covered with cosmuline (sp?), a product that keeps them from rusting, then wrapped with wax paper and then wrapped in oiled cardboard-type paper. So if you look at the package date on the previous picture you'll understand why they were like brand new when I took them out of the package, due to how they were originally packaged.
fetch

Attachments

• conv_557.JPG
    conv_557.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • conv_558.jpg
    conv_558.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 5
  • conv_559.jpg
    conv_559.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 5
That is fascinating... I bet neither the company, nor the person packing the valve(s) ever imagined that it would be 61 years until that valve saw the light of day again! Even more amazing is that the original part survived that long! I wonder how many times it changed location?

Also an interesting coincidence... Those valves were packaged way back when the first WMSTR show was in the planning!

Interesting piece of history Clayton!

This is a link to a YouTube video that was posted by a gentleman in Canada. We lined up the engine on the brake on Saturday afternoon during the show. Brian, who I used to work with, is controlling the clutch and I was operating the throttle, because I realized that the linkage I made did not hold it wide open. Everything worked well and it ran to my satisfaction. You will see in the video, that when I am cranking the pony motor, there were too many people watching. So I turned to Jonathan and told him to tell people to leave! haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6-HtIqHX2I&sns=em

Back