1. We think we have tackled most of the issues that were causing problems with some area's of the Community Forum. Email should be working again so you should get notifications of subscribed threads, etc. We are working on getting an SSL certificate so the "Website Not Secure" message goes away. Please let us know of any other issues you notice so we can address them.
    Dismiss Notice

Caterpillar winter project

Discussion in 'Stationary Gas and Diesel Engines' started by cjmlarson, Mar 20, 2014.

1. cjmlarson

cjmlarson Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Have been busy this winter trying to stay out of trouble. This is a D17000 diesel engine,which is a V8 diesel with a 2 cylinder pony motor. This is Caterpillars first designed V8 engine that they built. They started them in 1935 and built them until 1955. I took it apart this winter and overhauled it and did a lot of work to it. Both the pony motor and the diesel. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. s.d. jon

s.d. jon Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Clayton, I have to apologize for this right away,but you kind of left yourself wide open! Do you need mine or maybe Mark's pickup to move this monster around or do you somehow have it hooked up like a pusher??? What's with the funnel? Is this some kind of polar vortex cooling? All kidding aside, this engine is really neat and will look good on the Hill at Thick and Thin.

3. cjmlarson

Funnel? The garden hose is froze so I am waiting for it to rain to finish filling it with water. And yes you are correct, it would take both Mark's and your pickup tandemed up to pull it! :biglaugh:

4. Ray Wangler

Ray Wangler Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

There’s a ton of open ground here. Clayton’s effort to stay out of trouble is obviously a complete flop as he has done absolutely nothing to stay out of trouble. Seriously, it is a very neat project and will bring Caterpillar nuts from miles around to see it run. In typical “Clayton” fashion, this a very impressive effort, I wish I had the skills required to do a job like that. Thanks Jane………(oh yeah you too Clayton), for putting in the money, time, and energy for a great addition to the show.

5. Jerry Mandt

Jerry Mandt Junior Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Looks to me like my little Hercules is going to end up unemployed.

6. cjmlarson

Not a chance Jerry, that unit works real good. I just need to fine tune the saw it is on and it will be even better.

7. M Kerkvliet

M Kerkvliet WMSTR Past President Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Humm.... Seems my truck got pressed into service to pull Jane's camper home last summer... Then an old KB11 had to finish the job!

Seriously, I know the work you put into it... more than you had planned on. I am sure, like every other project you have taken on, that this one will be first class!

I see this engine running a sawmill on the grounds... just because he can!

Lets see some more pictures of the rebuild! :picture:

8. Ned

Ned Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

As much as I want to jump on the pick on Clayton train. I have acouple serious questions. First what was this engine used first for or in? What sort of HP does it produce? Where are you going to have this during the show? and lastly how do I con Liz into letting me have toys like that?

9. cjmlarson

Thats all right Ned, as long as you guys are talking about me you are leaving someone else alone!!!!

This engine was never designed for any rolling stock of Cat. Is was built for locomotive switch engines which most of them were tandemed up, marine, electric sets, and industrial applications.

This engine came out of a drag line not to far up hyway 32 north of Hawley, many years ago,If you have enough time in your day you can ask Jim Todahl, he knows the history of this unit for the most part:rof:. This engine is rated about 190hp, so for its size it just doesnt make sense but remember this is back in 1930s so for the application it was healthy on power and should give good twisty ability on the clutch sahaft.

As for Liz, Merry her, she will then send you out to your shop and let you do what ever you want, just to get you out of her way :hide:

Just a few quick specs, 202cubes per cylinder =1616 total, 5 3/4 bore and 8 inch stroke. Runs at 1000rpm. The two cylinder pony motor has 27 hp, which was the largest pony motor Cat made. As for the show, someday maybe sawmill. But it is just a toy, so I think for now we will give Jerry some work to do on the red brake:bannana:. Its the construction show lets make some smoke.

10. M Kerkvliet

Wow! The V6 engine in my van is a 231 cu.in. engine... and thats all 6 cylinders together!

It's going to be fun to hear it run!

11. Ned

Ned Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Any chance of this making an appearance at MSEA spring steam up?

12. cjmlarson

That is the plan for now. I will have to see how it all falls into place. Wimpy was out yesterday all afternoon and helping me install fenders on the unit. Got to have them so the tires dont throw rocks forward at the tow vehicle. Dont know how Jerry C. is coming along on his idea for the engine, but we possibly could be able to put a small load on it also .

13. JOHN PFAFF

JOHN PFAFF Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

WOW! You get things done so much faster than I do. I can't wait to see-and HEAR-it in April. But there is still the unanswered question--
    Did working on it keep you out of trouble this winter???

14. vnanosky

vnanosky Mega Poster Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Repower for the Digny?

15. Jerry Christiansen

Jerry Christiansen Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Hi Clayton,

I stopped by Larson Welding Friday, 28 March, and talked with Jim. I believe he has a plan for a flat belt pulley to fit on the engine.

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

16. cjmlarson

That sounds good Jerry, guess I better keep pushing forward now that you have held up your end of the bargain.

17. cjmlarson

[​IMG] Almost exactly 1 year ago, I had George help me go out and load the engine. This was the Sunday after last year's SteamUp. We got done just in time, as it started to storm 20 minutes after we got this done. Klinger is walking along making sure the engine doesn't swing too much. Louie and Jerry C also helped with the loading.

Attached Files:

18. cjmlarson

[​IMG] This was the end of April and Jane and I unloaded it into the shop to begin 'bringing it back to life'.

Attached Files:

19. M Kerkvliet

Are you going to paint it? Would Cat Yellow be correct. or was it white?

20. cjmlarson

It will get painted old cat yellow, but not sure when I will get that done, due to the cold weather. So I suppose it will look kind of ratty for steam up.