40HP Avery Phase III

40avery

Mega Poster
Super Moderator
WMSTR Lifetime Member
After many hours of sand blasting "small" parts at Mark's shop and a lot of Marks Hours involved in painting - pallets of parts arrived at Larson Welding for the continuation of assembly.
DSC07000.jpg

DSC06999.jpg

Tom H. and Pete M. worked on getting the valve linkages, rods, and reversing gear installed.

DSC07009.jpg

DSC07022.jpg

Some of the valve train installation needed more than two sets of hands.

DSC07031.jpg

Jim making some adjustments on the new bearings.

DSC07034.jpg

Rick H spent the day making gaskets and bolting on exhaust pipes and steam feed manifold.

DSC07013.jpg

Steering brackets and worm, and the pedestals were installed by Pete, Tom, and Rick.

DSC07037.jpg

Mark K , SD John, Kelly M, and Joe S all teamed up on attaching the bull gears to the drive wheels.

DSC07010.jpg

DSC07014.jpg

DSC07025.jpg

No project can continue smoothly unless there is a high quality board of directors to hash out the fine details of the mission.

DSC07038.jpg

It was a great day.

Seeing the project start to come together was really fun.

As I was working on the Avery my thoughts strayed to when it was originally built and the people that originally built it at the Avery factory in Peoria. We do this for fun and recreation. They were doing it to keep food on the table. I wonder if they ever gave thought to the possibility that their craftsmanship would endure for anywhere near to 100 years!!!:thumb:

40avery;7418 said:
It was a great day.

Seeing the project start to come together was really fun.

I agree!

I have only been around the steam part of WMSTR for 5 or 6 years. I am lucky enough to be one of the crew of Jim's 40 Avery, but was never part of building (restoring) it 20+ years ago.

Same goes for some of Mark's other engines... especially his 110 and 80 Case engines in New Rockford... both "ground-up" restorations that I have only seen the end result of.

It is a lot of work, but it is just "Way Cool !!!" to be involved in a ground-up project like Mark's 40. This will be one that (all of those involved in the project) will be standing there watching it go up the parade route at Rollag in 2011, will be able to say... "Hey, I helped build that engine!"

It is especially satisfying that I am learning so much about the engine I operate from those who have the knowledge to pull off a project like this, and are willing to share that knowledge with guys like me!

Thanks for the pictures Rick!

Amazing work!

Thanks for the pictures and the story! Preserving history is one of the most important things we can do, and you are doing a job that is important to all of us. Look forward to seeing it on showgrounds this year!

Oh come on! With as many talented engineers as you have working on it, that puppy will be done in time for steam school! ;)

Casy: I agree with you about the talanted people at Rollag and I know that a rebuild of this magnitude does take time, some times good things come with time, I'm sure it will be out in 2011.:thumb::thumb:
Good luck to all helping on this project for Mark.

Avery Gears

Have been cutting gear blanks for Marks 40 Avery. Have all four done and now need to cut the teeth.

0301001347.jpg

Looks great Jerry! Now that you have this picture posting thing down, I am sure you will be posting dozens of them!

Looking forward to it!

Call me anytime!

I think Mark and Kelly were working on pouring some bearings last week. I have not had the time to check in and see how things went. There is going to be more action soon so stand by for more pictures.

So OK it has been a year.:hide:

There has been a big push on Avery work again lately. Mark, Kelly, and others have been working hard on assembly work again and myself and others got a chance to help again this past weekend. Many pictures have been banked up and I will be working as I can to get them edited and posted.:thumb:

Thanks to Mark and others that have taken pictures and transferred them to me to get posted.

Back