1. We think we have tackled most of the issues that were causing problems with some area's of the Community Forum. Email should be working again so you should get notifications of subscribed threads, etc. We are working on getting an SSL certificate so the "Website Not Secure" message goes away. Please let us know of any other issues you notice so we can address them.
    Dismiss Notice

We need to get going on this

Discussion in 'Interpretative Centers' started by darrelld, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darrelld

darrelld Junior Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Hey all, this is something we all need to work on for our exhibits. In visiting with the public, the average visitor does not really have an idea what they are looking at. Something we all take for granted as common knowledge the average spectator would find very intresting. One exhibit that I recall as being very good about this. I notice alot of people reading the signage and then discussing between themselves. I feel somethings that should be included are the history of the machine and also as much personal history as possible. On e example about this is when visitors are told that Maytag actually built farm machinery and cars before washing machines, or that machine their was at one time owned by the old guy down the road. I know Swed has a video about his Otto Langen engine, starting procedure etc. and have run into a couple guys that brought this up to me away from the show. It was much appreciated by them. d3

2. 40avery

40avery Mega Poster Super Moderator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Absolutely correct Darrell. Hartley does a great job on some of the major displays with the audio equipment but the general public will stand and read details about an exhibit and it does provide conversation. People have heard me say it many times. The average youngster these days think milk comes from the grocery shelf. We need to tell them how it was and is done.:D

3. Katy K

Katy K Intermediate Poster Moderator WMSTR Lifetime Member

I have been going to Rollag for some time and I still have many questions on different displays around the grounds. Maybe we need to encourage others to ask questions and try to find the time to answer the questions they ask. I find it interesting to learn about the past. Always leaves me wondering about what it was like for my Grandparents.

4. crystalaakre

crystalaakre Mega Poster Moderator WMSTR Lifetime Member

I think these interpretive centers would be extremely helpful for visitors to become more interested in the
    activities of the show. If we do it right, it can be a nice facelift for the show. I am a graphic designer in Fargo, and I'm willing to work on some nice displays. Perhaps we can put together a list of exhibits and work on some questions that could be asked of the workers at those places so that we'd have information for the signs and could install something next year. Please let me know what you think. I just need help getting in contact with the right people.

5. JED

JED Junior Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Listening to this discussion reminds me of what I would like to see, but not sure how to do.. I would like to have an interactive map that viewers could point and click to get info. For example, find what activities or displays are available by clicking on a building or a number on a map, or the converse to click on an activity or item of interest and find where it is on the grounds. This might be similar to what you find on Google Earth or priceline.com. I first thought a kiosk at the grounds, but wonder if might be more practical to post on web so people can see what there is before coming to show.

I would be interested in this area if others agree. I work as in GIS and do this sort of thing. I enjoy the look of the forum, the website has come a long way.

Jim

6. Jerry Christiansen

Jerry Christiansen Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Jim,

I think you have some excellent ideas here. As I was reading your post I envisioned laptops in various locations on the grounds. (yes, we would have to do something to ensure they didn't walk away!)

Then I saw the word "kiosk". If one is good, in this case more would be better. "on the web" is another good idea.

These ideas are worth pursuing. I suspect that the "on the web" idea involves time, but perhaps not much money. Kiosks will involve money, probably a fair amount of money.

Perhaps you could put together a sample and present your idea at a board meeting or at the annual meeting. If you could put a budget together, this is something that could be presented to the budget committee.

When I think about doing what you are proposing, the amount of work seems overwhelming to me. For you, and perhaps others in our association, it might be a walk in the park. Ideas like this always make me appreciate the diverse backgounds and talents of our members!

Thanks for the ideas!

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

7. JED

JED Junior Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Here is the template that I am going to try customize for my county, but could be an idea of what a map server is - http://www.geomoose.org/moose/moose-demos/openmnnd-demos

The problem with the WMSTR site is the small geographic area and we don't have good quality photos for a detailed view. However, the info tool could still give a list of things at each area. I still have the Drawing that Duane L. was working on a few years ago. Of course a simple Excel list could be converted into a form to hyperlink to photos or text or whatever.. What a hot weekend, but went good.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.