Visitors Shower Project

Discussion in 'WMSTR PROJECTS' started by M Kerkvliet, Jun 24, 2010.

1. M Kerkvliet

M Kerkvliet WMSTR Past President Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

For those of you not into shingling (keeping your feet on the ground) we are going to need help laying out the plumbing for the new visitors shower building. Everything that is going to go into the floor, has to be installed this weekend as concrete will be poured on Monday.

If your not a plumber, or are a little more adventurous, Yancy is putting together a crew to shingle in another thread.

Only 70 days till showtime folks! Time to pick up the pace a little!

See you on the grounds this weekend!

2. M Kerkvliet

We had a good, very productive Saturday, despite the rain!

We now have the floor ready for concrete! The rain actually got us some more help as it kind of slowed down the shingling project for Yancy's crew and they came down and helped us out. That really sped things up!

Here are some pictures of the very early stages of this project!

Merlyn discovered that the line going into the tank was going in too high and we did not have enough grade to get the water to run to the tank from the far end of the building. (He informed me that he has never been able to get water to run up hill!) Two solutions... either drop the pipe lower in the tank, or raise the building (all the forms). Lowering the pipe was easier!

We talked Raymond A. into running the excavator for us... We dropped the pipe 6" without losing any capacity. That will give us plenty of grade to work with. As with all WMSTR projects, you can see there are plenty of supervisors to make sure it is done right... including my grandson Gabriel!

[​IMG]

One for fun... while Ray finishes up with the digging in the background, Gabriel works on his own version of the shower in the foreground.

[​IMG]

Merlyn M. came up with "the plan" and "the plan" was a good one! Assemble the most complicated part of the plumbing in the climate controlled, perfectly flat and square, confines of Earl's Sawmill! Great idea! We were able to continue the work in the rain, and stay dry! Note... only a skilled builder like Merlyn (who knows where the walls will end up) should attempt to assemble glued plumbing off-site!

[​IMG]

The plan gets put to the test! After a lot of measuring, and re-measuring, it all worked out perfect! I guess there was never any doubt! By the way... this "manifold" will handle 3 toilets, 2 vents, 1 shower, and a floor drain!

[​IMG]

Continued...

3. M Kerkvliet

Here Roger M. and Yancy W. put the last piece of the puzzle in that end of the system. The "manifold" is hooked up to the line out to the holding tanks. They checked everything to be sure that the water would run "lickity-split" down the line!

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, Merlyn and Louie were working on the other end of the building installing floor drains! Something just didn't seem right... They just did not have their heart in it! They seemed sad... you know, kind of like they wanted to be somewhere else!

[​IMG]

My Grandson Gabriel decided he would share with them, and cheer them up! He brought them his little plastic truck, and the mood changed! The rest of the floor drains were installed lightning speed, and everyone was happy!

[​IMG]

Just when the plumbing was all finished up, and we thought it was coffee time, the boss (Merlyn) looked at the pile of re-bar that was laying there and mentioned something about laying it all out and tying it! It was only 4:00, and nobody could come up with a good excuse not to, (though there were some bad excuses!) So, we got after it!

[​IMG]

That is where it stands today! Jim B. is making the arrangements for concrete this week, and soon the building will be going up!

Be sure to watch this thread for more information, and work schedules dealing with this project!

Special thanks to Merlyn for all of his guidance on yet another building on the grounds, to Jim B. for "championing" the grade work and the concrete end of the project, and to Bob Mitchell for the invaluable advice on the plumbing! Once it is buried in concrete, it is hard to make any changes... and we want it done right!

Also, thank you to all who turned out to help! I am not going to mention any names because I will forget someone, but you all know who you are!

4. Myrtle

Myrtle WMSTR Lifetime Members WMSTR Lifetime Member

Looks great guys!!!

5. Badgerboys

Badgerboys Junior Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Wow,u guys aren't messn around.It's looking great.The visitors will greatly appreciate what is done here.
    Cory

6. dachtera

dachtera Videographer/Web Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

I've used visitor showers at Albany, and I can already tell this will be FAR better than those showers. I'll be up for the next Allis Expo meeting, and will swing down and see if you can put a Techno-Geek to work for a few hours!

7. M Kerkvliet

Jim Briden got a crew together and got the concrete poured for the shower in the middle of the week. Thanks Jim!

Merlyn got work setting block around the perimeter, and for any of the inside walls that could come into contact with water. The block on the bottom of the walls will save the wood framing from moisture damage when the floors get washed (hosed down) etc. Merlyn, Bob H, Dave S, and myself worked a few mornings getting the block laid. Merlyn likes to start about 5:30 AM and quit around 8:30 or 9:00 as the heat gets to be too much for that kind of work. Dave S and I also pulled all of the forms and banded them up for use in the future.

The block work will be completed early this week, and framing should start late in the week!

Here is my only picture from this week... The slots you see in the floor are for the shower drain plumbing. Doing it this way makes it easier for the rough in crew!

[​IMG]

8. Merlyn Meyer

Merlyn Meyer Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

With the concrete work done, I plan to frame the shower house Friday and Saturday if the weather cooperates. We can use carpenters (or nail pounders). If the weather is Hot I wil be starting early and quitting early each day!

9. M Kerkvliet

I will try to get there by noon on Friday Merlyn...

10. M Kerkvliet

Here are some pictures of the progress this past weekend.

Walls are up...

[​IMG]

Setting the rafters...

[​IMG]

Rafters are set, and ready for steel next weekend!

[​IMG]

Cory... are you going to be able to line up a crew out there to keep this facility clean? It is going to need attention a couple of times a day, and it would be great if you could put a crew together to keep an eye on it.

11. Merlyn Meyer

Merlyn Meyer Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

We will be putting the steel on this Saturday. We need people to help. If you can't climb or run a screw gun, come anyway. You can carry sheets of steel and push them up to the people on the roof.

12. M Kerkvliet

Just a reminder...!

We would like to start as early as possible to beat the heat of the day. Please show up if you can! There will probably be people there by 7 AM or so...

Great way to get your time in for 2010!

13. M Kerkvliet

We had a good crew this past weekend and got all of the sheeting on the building that we could. Merlyn has some more trim work to do before the rest can be put on the east end of the building.

We started early. We had the south side of the roof done by 8 AM.

[​IMG]

Mike and Mark wait for Merlyn and Roynell to finish marking the lower end of the roof for the sheeting.

[​IMG]

Here Merlyn, Mike and Jon cut the first sheet of brown steel for the west wall of the building.

[​IMG]

The finished west wall...

[​IMG]

And the east wall not quite finished.

[​IMG]

We did have a little storm move through late in the afternoon Saturday. After it was finished, there was a really bright rainbow that appeared in the east! Well, I had to go looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Didn't find the pot of gold, but I did find a leprechaun! :eek:

[​IMG]

I am going to be away from the internet for most of the week, so there will most likely not be any updates from me this week. I am planning on installing the shower stalls next weekend and could use a lot of help for that.

I am sure Merlyn will be posting here what his plans are for any more construction work on the building this week sometime, so check in here for updates!

14. wifyan

wifyan Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

What?

Mark. Thats not a leprechaun, thats S.D. John holding a beverage! You better get your eyes checked

15. crystalaakre

crystalaakre Mega Poster Moderator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Hehehe! Good one!

You guys are doing such an awesome job. Thank you for the hard work!!

16. M Kerkvliet

We got a lot of work done on Saturday the 24th, but I did not get a lot of pictures... too busy working I guess!

Bob Mitchell, plumber extraordinaire was there to do some major plumbing with the drainage system. Seems there is a lot more to plumbing a drain than gluing a bunch of PVC pipe together and hoping the water runs through it! There are no fewer that 24 drains going into the main trunk line, and with the related venting, cleanouts, etc... it is a work of art! All set to grade, and done to code!

Here Bob and Yancy work on gluing up some of the run.

[​IMG]

At the end of the day, all 12 shower stalls were plumbed (drains) and set in concrete!

[​IMG]

Also on hand was Jace Mitchell, electrician extraordinaire to get all of the pipe (electrical conduit) in place under the direction of our WMSTR Master, Erin. Jace made quick work out of it, and it looks outstanding!

I wish the picture would have turned out better, but if you look closely you can see the level stuck to the conduit to make sure it is straight! That conduit is in the attic folks! Talk about attention to detail!!! The mark of someone who really cares... Just like his dad I guess!

[​IMG]

Also, making it's debut on it's very first WMSTR project... the "Flower Shower" being built by Jane and Jerry Christianson! We needed water to mix mortar, and since Bob Clarke and Louie had just gotten the leaf springs replaced, this was the perfect tool for the job! Look for a very detailed thread on the whole Flower Shower story from Jerry and Jane in the not too distant future!

[​IMG]

Also worth noting is the work that Merlyn Meyer is doing on the building all week, every week, trying to stay ahead of everything we do on weekends! Before the shower stalls could be set, all of the block work and framing you see around them had to be complete! Merlyn works on that during the week so that we have something to do on weekends! Thank you Merlyn :thumb:

17. M Kerkvliet

There are only 5 weekends left to get this done before show time. I would like it done in 4 so we are not going nuts the weekend before trying to button it up.

If you are looking to put in you work hours, see me on the hill any Saturday morning, and I will put you to work!

This weekend I plan to get the venting finished up on the drain plumbing, and get the valves all installed on the shower stalls. I also need to install a couple of fans in the east gable end for exhaust fans. Merlyn would like to get the ceiling installed as well, and the venting should be done before that.

I have another project or two to do too, so please come down and lend a hand if you can!

It's crunch time folks!

18. M Kerkvliet

We had a good weekend on this project!

Merlyn had a good crew to get the ceiling in place in both rooms.

[​IMG]

On Friday Eric Aakre, Ellis Aakre and I did a lot of work on the sewer vents. We got them all through the walls, and through the ceiling far enough so the ceiling could be installed. Thanks for your expertise in that area Eric!

On Saturday, the PIC (Plumber in charge) Bob Mitchell showed up (I didn't think he would be there on Saturday) and we got all of the shower valves installed, the last shower stall set in the handicap room, the venting finished up, and a lot of the Pex line ran for the water supply! Roger Meyer, Bob, and I worked on plumbing all day... It was hot and miserable, but we got a lot done!

[​IMG]

Just proof that I actually do something besides take pictures on these projects! Thanks Katy for being the camera person this week, and for the long drive to Detroit Lakes to pick up the parts we needed to keep moving!

[​IMG]

Wayne Cristopherson was working on framing around the shower stalls to get the walls ready for sheet rock! Sorry we did not get a picture Wayne... you did a great job, and saved Merlyn and Dave a lot of time!

Thanks also to all of the workers (who's names I didn't get) who answered the call to help this past weekend on this project and others on the show grounds! There was a lot of help this weekend! Please keep it coming!

19. M Kerkvliet

We had a big day on Saturday, and I don't have a picture to show for it! I need to remember to take a little break from time to time to get a few pictures of the work in progress!

We had 3 groups working on the project on this weekend. Merlyn and Dave worked on additional sheet rock in the building, and bought the counter tops that will hold the 3 sinks on each side.

Jace and Cody Mitchell worked on the wiring in the building. They got 2 days worth of work done in 1 day! For the most part, the building is done with that phase. Jace did an outstanding job on the planning and it shows... some pretty unique features in that building!

Jerry Christiansen and Mike Bennett ran the recently rebuilt trencher, and dug about 750 feet of trench. The trencher worked great, and Jerry and Mike didn't do too bad either! (we won't say anything about the 3 water lines that they cut :rof:) but rather talk about the telephone line they had to cross twice that they missed! :congrats: Thanks guys for getting that job done!

Roger Meyer, Jason Olson, and myself worked on getting the power cable in the trench, and all of the related hardware installed along the way. the cable is in the trench, as is most of the water line. There will be a little more trenching to do next weekend to finish up the water part of the project!

We can't forget about Josh Doxey, who could not be there on Saturday, but spent hours down at the site on Friday night cleaning up garbage. A clean work environment is a happy work environment! Thanks Josh!

Thanks to all who were involved, and we will get more pictures up here soon!

20. Mike Bennett

Mike Bennett Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Jerry and I really only hit two water lines, we hit the one twice. :rof: Easier to splice water line than phone line anyday. Thinking back on it, we were pretty far away from the blue line in the grass when we hit that one twice...