Twin City Engine

Discussion in 'General Construction Discussion' started by louie, Dec 10, 2007.

1. louie

louie Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

[​IMG]
    one bit of really interesting news is that WMSTR has recently aquired the original engine that came off the trencher thanks to Mark Peterson it was built by Twin CityTractor Company so on the December 10 work weekend at Larson it was disassembled by a crew of faithful volunteers this shot shows Vern N. and Jim B. getting ready to lift off exhaust manifold

2. louie

[​IMG]
    Jim B. Vern N. and Ryan U. dicuss removing the valve train from engine

3. louie

[​IMG]
    Mark K. is diassembling the crowd engine for the Osgood steam shovel which might be coming to show at some time in the future
    more to follow ran out of time tonite

4. 40avery

40avery Mega Poster Super Moderator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Work weekends at Jim's are always fun and interesting. The Twin City motor is really going to add to the trencher as a display. I have always enjoyed the sound of the TC motors.

5. M Kerkvliet

M Kerkvliet WMSTR Past President Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

I looked at that picture of me for aver a minute trying to figure out what I was reaching for! The "mouse catcher" did not show up well in the light I am in right now! Kelly, Gary and I really did work hard on that engine, but Louie snaps the picture when I am petting a cat!:biglaugh:

Oh well... Shows my softer side for the ladies...:D

Where were you????? I was looking forward to visiting with you!

6. M Kerkvliet

I thought I would throw this picture in, since Louie was so busy taking pictures he could not be in any of them! He did do a lot of work on the engine on Saturday too.

Here they are getting ready to lift off the last cylinder.

[​IMG]

Looks like Vern N, Louie L, Donald C (hiding), Ryan U, and Bob C.

Another picture just for fun...

In this picture Klinger is describing to Gary Muhl how a crowd engine works (in between bites of cold pizza) while Jim Stewart and Kelly Muhl listen on...:biglaugh:

[​IMG]

7. 40avery

40avery Mega Poster Super Moderator WMSTR Lifetime Member

I did not know it was a work weekend up there or otherwise I probably would have been there!

8. Lee

Lee Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Is the trencher drivetrain also Twin City? The engine looks the same as the 60-90.

9. M Kerkvliet

I don't know about the drive train, but I asked Mark Pedersen about the engine, and it is not quite the same as the 60-90. The 60-90 was a 7¼ X 9 and this one is a 7¾ X 9. To save you the math that is 2546 cubic inches displacement! 424.3 cubic inches per cylinder! Next time I see Mark, I'll ask him about the torque!

One cylinder of that engine = almost 7 of my Geo Metro engines! :eek: One cylinder would hold 1.8 gallons of water!

Correct me if I am wrong on the numbers Louie...

10. Jerry Christiansen

Jerry Christiansen Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Hi Mark and all,

Your calculations look correct.

Now if we know the operating rpm, we can calculate the cubic feet of air needed each minute. Using the CFM of air and a reasonable fuel to air ratio, we can calculate the gallons per minute(or hour) of fuel the engine should use at full throtle.

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

11. cjmlarson

cjmlarson Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Rpm

I was told that it operates at 600rpm

12. louie

[​IMG]
    this is what cylinder #3 looked like when we got the head off being that all the pistons were stuck in the cylinders after we got heads off we laid the engine on it's side pulled off the oil pan took off the rod caps to get cylinders off the block

13. louie

[​IMG]
    here we have Kelly M. Vern N. and Ryan U. taking off rod caps

14. louie

[​IMG]
    another shot of Vern N taking rod caps off they were a little frustating to get off because each cap had a cotter pin to lock the nut on

15. louie

[​IMG]
    last jug out and on it's way over to the press to push the piston out of the cylinder

16. louie

[​IMG]
    Jim B. running press Vern N. Gary M. getting ready to catch piston when it comes out Kelly M. waiting to take it away

17. louie

[​IMG]
    piston assembly after being removed from cylinder

18. louie

[​IMG]
    Wimpy A. has already started repirs on the engine he is preheating the exhaust manifold to weld cracks in it

19. louie

the drive train is manufactured by the buckeye trencher company I have found a web site that has some of the original sales brochures for several of the trenchers that the company manufactured will see if i can get it posted here at a later date

20. CaseyD

CaseyD B & R Sawmill Crew WMSTR Lifetime Member

This is a super-neat engine. Thanks for the story, info, and updates!