Toy Museum/ Hands-on games

crystalaakre

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
If you have any old fashioned and vintage toys you would like to
donate, we will start a toy museum. This is something that could keep growing through the years, but would be really great to at least get started for the Youth Expo this year.
Toys were one of my favorite exhibits at Bonanzaville as a kid!!

Also to go along with this, we'd like to organize a few old-fashioned games
with prizes to happen as events at the show this year. I'll keep you posted.

Great idea Crystal! Remember the Sinefeld episode where he went out with that woman so he could play with all her antique toys? They were not supposed to be touched, but he got a bunch of them out and ended up getting in trouble for it. I guess I can't remember all of the details, but it was funny. The scary part is... I had most of those toys when I was a kid! I didn't think I was that old!!

We will have to find a spot for an exhibit like you are describing. Maybe you have some ideas. I am looking forward to visiting the exhibit!

Toy museum exhibit

The Toy Museum and kid's games will be taking place in the Expo building next to the carnival rides. We need volunteers to help organize the games and also knowledgeable folks to talk about toys of the past.

If you would like to exhibit any old toys, there are some glass cases for this purpose and the building will be locked up at night. Please do! We'd love to see what our parents and grandparents did for entertainment as children!!

For events, we will be having a nickel scramble on saturday and a potato sack race on sunday at around 1:00. We're flexible to other ideas if we can get more people to help out.

Also, we are having an old fashioned paper doll hands-on area, jump rope, marbles, etc.

Send me a message if you have any questions or ideas. thanks!! :)

don't forget to clean up your toys!

don't forget to dig out your old-fashioned toys and antiques for the show!! We want to have a nice expo for the kids!! (and I think adults will love it too!) :bannana:

Great job!!

We attended the show this year. This is 3rd Show. Our kids really LOVED the activities in the Expo Building. They spent about 2.5 hours in there on Sunday morning. We hope that you will continue with this type of event for the kids...as an annual place to come play. Our daughter, Emily, spent hours cutting out the paper dolls that were given to her on the way home yesterday and also today. Joey, spent a lot of his time playing with the tractor pull. Our two oldest want to go back again.

What we really liked about the space was that it was out of the weather (OK there was still dust). It's something we hope you will continue in the future in some sort of cement floor building.

I also want to commend the enthusiasm and dedication of the 3 young adults working in the Expo area. They truly enjoy the show and are finding ways to give back. We are considering becoming members -- partially because of my conversations with them.

If there is going to be dedicated space, we may be able to donate some wood blocks (for building toy houses, buildings, etc.) and could possibly show some smaller items. We have a camper to pull...so what ever we bring will need to fit behind the truck.

Great job again with the games, paper dolls, and kids' tractor pull!

Congratulations Crystal and Rachel (I apologize that I don't know the 3rd person) !!! You just got the best compliment that anyone can get at Rollag!!
I just picked up the pedal tractor/skid/mat and weights tonight and thank you for the note you had left. You guys did a great job! I stopped by the expo building on Friday and I seen you helping the kids and the smiles on the kid's faces and I knew I didn't have to worry about the skid and pedal tractor. I'll for sure bring it down again next year.

Carol, John and Family hope you join up - you will find that there are alot of great people at Rollag!

The application for John is filled out and ready to be mailed. There is a pre-schooler in the mix, so I don't want to be stretched too far, and the 8 and 10 year olds still like to have one of us around on their adventures.

Thank you!!

On behalf of Crystal, Mike and myself, I just want to say thank you to Carol and her family, Brian and all the others who support the new exhibit we are developing!! It is so awesome to hear comments like yours and we really appreciate it! We had a lot of fun working (and playing) out in the Expo building this year and are thrilled to hear that there are others who enjoyed it just as much as we did!! We also learned a few things throughout the weekend and we are going to use that knowlegde to make the exhibit even better for next year!!

Thanks again for all your great comments and your support!! Let us know if you have any suggestions for us as well...we are always open to new ideas!!:)

~Rachel

Thanks Carol! Your kids were great! Hopefully Joey will want to come back and help out with the pedal tractor pull again! Thanks to everyone who brought things in to share as well. We couldn't have done it without that support! We had a lot of good response up there in the expo building and some kids stayed for hours playing old fashioned games and trying out the pedal pull.
Rachel, Mike and I have some really good plans for next year now that we know what works and what doesn't. We even got a few people to offer to bring their toys to display!!
I promise I'll get some pictures up by the end of the week to share. Keep a look out in the showbook, I think Tim got a few shots of us having fun as well!

Thanks

Crystal,Mike, and Rachel thank you for all your work the girls loved it:) Maybe my children will teach me chinese checkers for next year.:D

toy museum photos as promised!

some of the toy museum exhibits
100_3553.jpg

100_3463.jpg

100_3460.jpg

100_3459.jpg

100_3455.jpg

100_3449.jpg

100_3440.jpg

Great pictures Crystal... Lots of smiles!

Congrats again on a job well done. We have got to keep something like this going every year!

Back