1. We think we have tackled most of the issues that were causing problems with some area's of the Community Forum. Email should be working again so you should get notifications of subscribed threads, etc. We are working on getting an SSL certificate so the "Website Not Secure" message goes away. Please let us know of any other issues you notice so we can address them.
    Dismiss Notice

Tis the season

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by louie, Dec 4, 2017.

1. louie

louie Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

I bet their are a lot folks out there been waiting for this month it's been a long year things didn't look good for the donut crop early on this year but they perked up halfway through the season just finished harvesting them last week good thing to after looking outside this afternoon With a bumper crop in the bin we now move on to the next part of the

season Educational useless information sessions where fertilizer is produced in epic quantities Some of us call these work weekends I prefer not to because that four letter scares some folks off anyway we have a few projects to get started on repair main pump on loader,Start switching parts from old Ford water truck to new one, Ortner railroad tender trailer for portable pressure washer and IHC plow that is in need of a paint job Don't know if Chef Jerry will be cooking or not but if we can always fall back on for lunch a limited amount of time will set aside for donut portraits suitable for framing or Christmas cards or targets Enough of that hope to see you at Larson Welding this Saturday the 9th of December donuts will served at 8:00 am sharp so come early they go pretty fast

craig mattson and mrnewway like this.
  2. Ray Wangler

Ray Wangler Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Louie that's some of the most elegant advertising I've ever seen!! Thanx for posting I get to come after I finish this week in sunny southern California. I'd like to tell you I'm working but you'd never believe that anyways. Keep some for me (work I mean) see you Saturday!!

3. Ray Wangler

I've posted this several Times in the past but it seems an appropriate reminder. " Donut testing " as Louie calls it is a Saturday at Larson welding when Rollag projects are worked on during the winter. It's a great time to contribute to the show while having fun with friends you never seem to get enough time with. It occurs the second Saturday of the month between December and March Make no mistake however between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. there is lots of work to be done and precious little time to get it done, so come ready to work. All skill levels are welcome and be sure we'll find something you can do. Hope to see you there Saturday!

4. M Kerkvliet

M Kerkvliet WMSTR Past President Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

I'm going to have to miss this one... Gotta work on re-fabbing a boat trailer for little brother so he can get it out of my shop! Hope to make the January weekend!

5. Ned

Ned Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

I'm excited to swap fertilizer tomorrow!!! I've been stock piling for a couple months now!!!

On a serious note if your a new member this is a great time to meet other members and get some time in and maybe learn about a part of the show you wouldn't normally be involved with. Like Ray said all skill levels are welcome!

mrnewway likes this.
  6. Jerry Christiansen

Jerry Christiansen Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Hi all,

Here are a few pictures from the December work weekend.

Dec 2017 A.jpg

A steam operated water pump for a 110 Hp Case steam engine was worked on.

Dec 2017 B.jpg

Hartley found this plow somewhere. When we arrived Saturday morning it had been sandblasted and was ready for paint. Several of us worked on it and got the top painted. What is this plow for?

Dec 2017 C.jpg

Our loader has some hydraulic pump problems. The pump was removed and inspected. I am not sure what the prognosis is.

Dec 2017 D.jpg

The tender for the Ortner train was in for repair. The tank has a leak or two that need to be tended to. The trucks are getting a tune-up. I hope someone that was working on this will tell us about the project.

Dec 2017 E.jpg

Part of the crew working on the Otner trucks and tender.

Dec 2017 F.jpg

This truck will is the new running gear for the Thirst Quencher. The cab over was getting pretty tired. This one is diesel powered.

Dec 2017 G.jpg

After the paint on the top had dried a bit, the under side was painted, a few skips were touched up and the wheels were painted.

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

craig mattson and M Kerkvliet like this.
  7. M Kerkvliet

M Kerkvliet WMSTR Past President Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Thanks for the pictures Jerry! Sure beats the boat trailer I was working on all day!

8. Ray Wangler

I happen to know a little about the trucks. We dismantled 4 axels with 8 bearings to see what the problem might be, as someone reported noise while operating. Dr. Knutson and Sanders Ellingson did the majority of the cleaning while Tom Hall and I dismantled. Kerry and Howey did the quality control. We suspected to find bushings that were worn out. What we found was very high end roller bearings that on a couple had worn into the shaft and bearing boxes. The crew is doing a great job of greasing, so we couldn’t determine the cause. Turns out the noise wasn't the bearings at all, it was a flange on a wheel that was rubbing hard in the turn. The hard rubbing and subsequent wear to the flange was due to an axel being locked up from lateral movement by a bearing being gouged into it. Now what? Jim had us build up with arc welding the bad axels (3 of 8) in the bearing surface as well as the flange on the bad wheel (1 of 8). Next work weekend we’ll continue machining on the axels and wheel until everything is brought back to "like new" specification. Kerry is hunting for some bearing sleeves for the boxes which will require more machining to get the sleeves installed. If he can’t find any, we’ll either bore and sleeve the boxes with steel, or turn them over and wear out the inactive side for another 70 years (the time it took to wear them out as they are now). We’ll be needing some advice from Jim if Kerry doesn’t find those sleeves. That’s the story on the trucks, I don’t know any progress on the tender itself.

M Kerkvliet likes this.
  9. Jerry Christiansen

Jerry Christiansen Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Ray,

Thanks for explaining what went on in your part of the shop. We are lucky that Howie was around to supervise your area.

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

mrnewway likes this.
  10. mrnewway

mrnewway Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Jerry, Thanks for the update on the work party aka ( Donut tasting party ).
    The plow? is there some historic reason that this is a part of the work weekend?? Didn't see Hartley (I have some stuff that needs painted I will drop the items off next year) I don't like to paint and with a crew like this to make it easier.
    Jerry could you PM me your current E mail address.
    Thanks and I like everything all the members take care, most would not get done without the Donut Tasting Party.

11. Ned

Ned Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

The plow was donated to the show last summer/fall. It was built by IH used for drainage. It has an IH serial tag on it with a serial number stamped #2 the 2nd one built. Hartley has asked some local IH experts and none of them have ever seen a plow like this or have found any info in any catalogs about it. If anyone out there knows or has any info on it please share with the rest of us!!!

mrnewway likes this.
  12. KBriss

KBriss Junior Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Under Howie's strict supervision we have acquired the necessary parts for the trucks on the Ortner Tender. I expect that once we get the bearings installed Ray--then we'll be off to the races?
    IMG_4082.jpg

craig mattson likes this.
  13. mrnewway

mrnewway Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Ned thanks for the info on the plow. Did IH have a manufactering plant in the Fargo area in that time frame?

14. Ray Wangler

Kerry, did you mean for that pun "off to the races"? On account of them sure are some nice looking bearing races!!! How many we doin'? Did the mfgr give a specification on the bore diameter +/-? I'm sure Jim has a number in his head that would work just fine, but if it's a published number that'd be good to know and we wouldn't have to bother him. Nice work Kerry, I'm already lookin' forward to the January meeting.

15. KBriss

KBriss Junior Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Ray--Sure was hoping that someone would pick up on the races--or I'd be looking sillier then normal-Got four of the units and I have +/- tolerances for for both the shaft and housing but not bore diameters-- These are Berliss #94424, the originals were Hyatt's. We too are looking forward to some mighty fine looking raised circular frosted confectioneries in just a couple weeks time--Merry Christmas to All