Steam Train Excursion

CaseyD

B & R Sawmill Crew
WMSTR Lifetime Member
This June 2-3, the Milwaukee Road engine#261 is pulling a round trip excursion from Minneapolis to Duluth. I'll be on there, and I'd like to know if anyone associated with WMSTR will be there.

Hopefully this post doesn't violate the 'no steam-promotions' rule:confused: !!! (sorry if it does),

Hi there! We've been trying to fit that excursion into your busy summer schedule for a few years now! I looked on the web site, but I dont see an option to buy those tickets. Is this trip special? Do you know if it's all booked up already?

Sorry Dawn, but those tickets sold out by the end of April!! I kept a close eye on their site, and bought them when they first went on sale in January. As you saw, though, there are quite a few more trips planned for this summer!!

Thanks! We'd really like the Mpls to Duluth one though--goes almost right by our house! I'll have to keep a closer eye! Have fun--take lots of pictures!

Another thought occured to me! The whole reason we wanted to ride that train was because we heard it go by one day working in the garden. We know it'll be coming by! We'll be at Bruno, cameras in hand--probably both ways! Thanks for the heads up!

We'd really like the Mpls to Duluth one though--goes almost right by our house!
I have imagined what it must be like to be driving along on a road, a freeway, or waiting at a rail crossing...and seeing a steam locomotive thunder past-or even crazier-drive next to you along a road! I have onlt seen that train from one side of the story: the passenger cars (besides pre-departure, I spent most of the time investigating the engine :)) I tell you what, when you are sitting on a train pulled by an engine looking as nice as that, you feel like some sort of royalty--people line up in town after town, crossing after crossing, just to see and wave. By the time the 6 hour ride from Minneapolis to Milwaukee was over, I felt a though I waved to everyone in both Minnesota and Wisconsin. What side will you be on, when going North? Does the railway go through the town of Bruno itself? If so, it will make planning easier...Either way, I will wave at everybody I see!! It's too bad that you did not know about that ride. You can call the number on the Milwaukee homepage, like my Grandpa did, and ask specifically about this ride. The tickets were supposedly 'sold out' when he tried buying one too, but he asked about standby and they were able to find an open seat fairly quickly. If you are an adventurous type of person with nothing better to do, you could also drive all the way down to the daparture point and wait :p...

We are adventurous, but probably not that adventurous. Our weekends get too darn busy if nothing is planned in advance! But we'll make time for watching it go by! Yes, the track goes right though Bruno. Bruno is 8 miles N of Askov (by road). We'll probably be on the W side of the tracks--closest to Hwy 23. That's a nice spot because its open and there's a place to park. Last time, we expected to be the only ones there, but I was amazed at the amount of people that showed up to wave and photograph.

We've shared in your feeling of Royalty--though not on the 261, yet. In 05 we took the Grand Canyon railway to the Grand Canyon (on a diesel) in the dome car. Those tickets were a big chunk of dough, but they were worth it. We had champagne (sparkling apple cider, for us) and robbers even jumped on the train to steal what we had left in our pockets. And a really cool dude playing the bango for us. That ride was awesome, but didnt even come close to coach seats on the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. The trip from Durango to Silverton following the Animas river is gorgeous! We held up in a open air gondola car and took about 2000 pictures. We liked it so much we went back before Christmas that same year to take the winter ride (shorter, but just as beautiful). We're going again this year in the fall for a photography excursion. It's a two day event staying the night in Silverton. The train stops mulitple times to let passengers off and does "run bys" so everyone can get shots of the train going by. We've been saving for over a year and we're so excited! Arent trains super?? Especially steam trains. We're really looking forward to some steam and soot!:)

My first encounter with steam trains was at "The Depot" art and rail museum in Duluth with my Boy Scout troop. While I was there, I was able to see the driverods and wheels of the DMIR Yellowstone #227 move, while a video showing that same engine pulling a heavy load of empties uphill. That hooked me.

dmir234s.jpg

this is a similar scene from the video I saw, although this one is #234

Ever since, steam has been right next to #1 on my mind--refer to the Mill Run post I put under the Earls mill section! :) If it would have not been for that, I would have never found the WMSTR, the 261, or bought my model steam engine...In short, if only we could 'infect' more people with the steam bug haha...well-The last time I rode on the 261 there was not enough time on the track to let everybody off for a run-by, so I was bummed..but this year there is atleast one planned that was mentioned on their website.
Last time, we expected to be the only ones there, but I was amazed at the amount of people that showed up to wave and photograph.
As for the open places that people congregate around to see the train: it is absolutely unbelievable how there can be so many waiting to see ONE train go by! -Every- town is packed (no exceptions =) )with people standing on both sides of the track. The town that the 261 stopped in for water basically dropped everything, shut down, and came to see such an unusual site find its way next to their homes. Even for me, the rider, it is still hard to imagine what it must have been like to see a steam train parked across mainstreet taking on water from inside your house!!!

Definitely looking forward to some steam'n'soot!-

dclong;1643 said:
That ride was awesome, but didnt even come close to coach seats on the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. The trip from Durango to Silverton following the Animas river is gorgeous! We held up in a open air gondola car and took about 2000 pictures.

Reminds me of the CW McCall song "Silverton Train" about that train Dawn... Have you ever heard it? Great song!

I will have to put this on my to-do list when I retire.

I understand the daylighter and black beauty ran past Everett the other day. All I can say is wow.:bannana: There were so many people to see them. I even got mistaken for involved. EMT-Railroad :biglaugh: I guess all uniforms are the same.:D All the same it was the perfect day, paid to see a steam train.

Mark,
No, I dont think I have heard that song. Ahhh, checking iTunes now!

We would love to do the Durango-Silverton one year. Do you need reservations? How many days should we plan for? Getting there,sightseeing, etc.My youngest son is obsessed about trains and has a video of that ride and we have seen it a hundred times.
Speaking of C.W. McCall,reminds me of when trucker songs were popular."Teddy Bear","Phantom 309" and of course "Convoy".Still know all the words.

Oh, I am incorrect! I have heard that song. A few years back my parents got us the book and DVD all about the durango railroad for Christmas. CW McCall narrates the documentary type movie and The Silverton is the background music. Very cool.

Lee,
that's funny. Convoy was the morning motivator on K102 this morning. Last week, it was Teddy Bear! People cant get enough of his songs!

For the excursion in the fall--yes, reservations are a must. We purchased a package this year--which was super good timing. We're going with another couple so there are 4 of us. DSNGRR sent me an email with a package deal including a cab ride. 4 premium tickets, 30% off gift shop stuff and VIP yard tour tickets and the cab ride. We were able to use the 4 premium tickets with that deal so one of the guys gets to ride another day in the cab--YA! that's cool! That was a grand, but it was a good deal since the ticket for the fall excursion were going to run us over 250 ea anyway.

For everyday rides, I dont think reservations are necessary, but I always do given we are traveling so far. It'd be an awful bummer to get there and have that be the one day they are full up. Course that probably wouldnt happen, they have 3 trains running each day I think.

Summer of 05 we took two weeks but we did other stuff too. National parks and the GC railway, like I mentioned. Just before Christmas of 05 we took 5 days, zipped out there, took the Saturday Winter train ride and zipped back. That was awesome! It was like an extended road trip. Course, we might be getting a bit old for road trips. Sleeping in the van isnt very comfortable. This fall we're taking 12 days, spending a good 6 between Durango and Silverton (planning on taking a jeep through the San Juan forest) and the rest seeing a few national parks and meandering through scenic SW corner of SD.

It's a GREAT trip! CO is so beautiful. I'm used to I35--flat, so I70 across N CO is a treat. As is everywhere else. The mountains are so beautiful, and the whole trip along the animas river is super scenic. Silverton is full of old western charm, too. The streets are all still dirt. They have a jail you can eat in! Ya, you can have your lunch or dinner right in a jail cell if you'd like. And Hwy 550 is just a treat too. If you go, try not to be the driver! Its hard not to look around!

Mesa Verde is right close to durango, that's a neat national park. Arches National Park is very fun--that's in Utah (North and West a few hours from durango. then that hwy 550 is amazing. there are so many neat town to see when you go through the mountains from durango back toward Denver.

Here's a pic of the train.
IMG_5143.jpg

This is on the ride on the way up.

IMG_5731.jpg

This is the train sitting in Silverton waiting for everyone to board again.

DSC_0292.jpg

And just before we left, we were lucky enough to see a double header come into town with the next load of passengers. That was neat. It was SO loud! That sound, you feel it all the way through.

Here is the 261 going through Askov the last time it went on this line. The towns along the way were full of watchers. Jeff Edin (WMSTR member, the guy waving in the second picture) was BNSF Engineer Pilot on the return trip back to Northtown (Twin Cities). We live outside of Askov (and I work in town) and don't believe we have had the pleasure of meeting the folks from Bruno... yet!
Clara Edin

here are some pictures of what I mentioned earlier:
100_1888s.jpg

-the 261 as of last June before the milwaukee run...If someone would like the full-size version of this for any reason, just PM me.

100_1904s.jpg

This is the crowd of people in the town that we stopped for water. It's like a mini-Rollag with all of the steam fans gathered around!

See you all out on Steamer Hill this weekend,

Clara,
Well! It's very nice to meet you! I'm sure we must have seen each other in passing--perhaps at the grocery store? It definately is a small world!

Casey,
Sounds like you'll be on the grounds this weekend...if you have time, stop by the Ortner circle. I'll be working around that area this weekend. I have a favor to ask you!

Super photos everyone!

IMG_4377.jpg

Here's one coming through Bruno on it's way back

DSC_0108.jpg

Then, we raced it to Hinckley and took some more shots.

DSC_0117.jpg

DSC_0177.jpg

Then there's the super cool dome car at the end of the train. Is this the car you'll be on Casey??

Have a great day everyone!

Sorry Dawn, but the 'first class' or 'premuim' seats you need to buy in order to ride in the dome car are way out of my price range.. like in upwards of $300...But I will be on one of the Coach cars!:) Those are some nice shots of the 261 under steam while stoking the fire. While en route last time, I bought a book that tells the history of this engine all the way back tot eh 1940's, with tons of excellent pictures.

Great pictures!

Here is a photo I took of 261 last year at it's home in northeast Minneapolis, after a run down the Mississippi to Red Wing and back.

Where've you been CaseyD?

We never heard how the excursion was!! Did you take some pictures? What did you think of Kids' Day? Did you take Steam School class?

Back