Steam School 2020

Jerry Christiansen

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Hi everyone,

Clayton L started a thread about things happening at the Thick and Thin Sawmill on Steam School Weekend that you can see
here.

Steam School starts Saturday morning, June 20, at the Mercantile and continues on Sunday.
Graduates of Steam School that need items checked off the punch list and time running an engine are invited to come back. During the mornings when the 2020 class is in the classroom, opportunities will be available to fulfill some of those tasks.

Information about the Minnesota Historical Boiler License can be found here.

Here is the list of items needed to check-off before taking the exam:

1) Bring boiler up to operating pressure from cold start
2) Maintain boiler water level using both types of feeding devices
3) Monitor boiler water level with tri-cocks
4) Test safety valve manually while under pressure
5) Blow-down boiler, Including sight glass
6) Prepare boiler for inspection, Ultrasonic and Hydrostatic
7) Belt Engine up to pulley
8) Operate engine on level, uphill, and downhill terrain
9) Perform shutdown of engine (Emergency)
10) Drain and clean boiler for storage

We can't guarantee that every person will get to check off every item. We will be able to provide opportunity to check off several of them.

If you are a graduate that needs experience, let us know so we can get you on the list.
If you are an engineer that is willing to be part of this, let us know so we can be sure we have enough steam engines for the folks that are interested.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Jerry I know 2 of the 3 75hp Case's will be fired up for steam school weekend and probably the weekend before. If there's students that want to get some hands on here's 2 engines.
Follow up question for Jerry or the other prony operators. Is it possible to have the blue brake set up by the red brake? The crews of the 75's would like to run them side by side.
Anyone wondering I'm referring to the 1911 and the 1913 75's I'm not sure if the 1912 is going to be fired up

Hi Ned and everyone else,

Thanks for offering a pair of engines!
You bet we can have the Blue Brake next to the Red Brake. We have done that in the past for Steam School.

Hopefully we will get some more names so we can have a bit of organization.
Why am I saying that? When was the last time we knew what was going on?

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Thank you Ray.

Now that I know how to use the hand pump, graduating to the injector will cut down on my exercise routine but I am willing to sacrifice my physical fitness for this fine technical device.:D

I would love to run your engine and Gavin has asked as well. We look forward to operating your steam engine.

Stay healthy and wise. I am saving my strength for working at WMSTR.

Sid

So, this is still happening despite social distancing? It looks like the posts are old, so I can't tell.

So, this is still happening despite social distancing? It looks like the posts are old, so I can't tell.
No steam school has been cancelled this year.

From the statement released earlier from the board "Steam School and Rollagology are both cancelled for 2020 or you could say postponed until summer of 2021. The graduating class of both institutions will be known as the classes of 2021 instead of 2020. Tom and Ray will be sending letters to all this year’s students to lay out their options. Kids Day 2020 and the yearly July Gas Engine Picnic will not be held this summer."

Well it was a strange weekend. For the last probably 15 years or so Fathers Day weekend meant Steam School activities. It was weird being at home. It will be extra strange over Labor Day weekend too. Well here's hoping 2021 is a better year.

Hi Darren,

Yes, it was strange. A small handful of engines were steamed up on Saturday. A couple moved around the grounds under their own power on Sunday. Most were drained and pushed back into the shed with the Versatile.

The Ortner went round and round a few times. I didn't get back to see it.

A few gas engine folks were around. I don't know if the ran anything or not.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Hi all,

I took a few pictures and videos by the Red Brake on Saturday.

This was the view out the camper door first thing in the morning.

upload_2020-6-24_21-23-40.png

Fred T and Nick O rolled the Rumley into the camp ground after I was in bed. The big double was so quiet, the cats didn't make a fuss.

Ned's 75 Case pulled up to the Brake after dinner.

upload_2020-6-24_21-25-23.png

Having young guys around to handle the belt is nice.

upload_2020-6-24_21-25-59.png
Thanks, Bryce.

A shot of the Brake. Yes, it is turning.
upload_2020-6-24_21-27-7.png
The needle on the scale is pointing to about 200 pounds of force. If it is right on 200 pounds, the 75 is delivering 1050 ft-lb of torque.

Here is one of the reasons the crew wanted some load.
upload_2020-6-24_21-28-41.png

Those are some hams and turkeys for the evening pot luck.

When I remember how to up load videos, I will get a few up.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Just in case anyone was wondering yes having 2 hams a turkey and 10lbs of potatoes in the smoke box does effect the draft. The majority of the day we had the supper split up between the other 75hp Case. But Al wanted to do a power run on the Prony and coal and massive amounts of heat can change the flavor of the meal, so right before the run we put it all into one smoke box.
This was the 4th or 5th year of doing a smoke box pot luck father's day weekend. We are already planning on next year we may need another engine it seems 2 cooking aren't enough. As far as the meal all are welcome

Jerry I know 2 of the 3 75hp Case's will be fired up for steam school weekend and probably the weekend before. If there's students that want to get some hands on here's 2 engines.
Follow up question for Jerry or the other prony operators. Is it possible to have the blue brake set up by the red brake? The crews of the 75's would like to run them side by side.
Anyone wondering I'm referring to the 1911 and the 1913 75's I'm not sure if the 1912 is going to be fired up

Ned,
Thank you for your time and information this past "steam school" weekend. I did not get a chance to say goodbye and thank you before I left. I'm looking forward to the official steam school next year.

Ned,
Thank you for your time and information this past "steam school" weekend. I did not get a chance to say goodbye and thank you before I left. I'm looking forward to the official steam school next year.
Lol information!?!? Most people aren't as politically correct when referring to what comes out of Jake Al or my mouth.
In all seriousness I'm glad you had fun hopefully we'll be able to have a full class next year.

Back