Sparkshow pictures!

Discussion in 'General Construction Discussion' started by Mike Bennett, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Mike Bennett

Mike Bennett Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Sheesh, almost two months removed from the show and I haven't gotten these up yet. Shame, shame Mike. I got a few in the sandbox on Friday. I think I have these labeled correctly, kinda hard to tell on some.

[​IMG]
    The Marion

[​IMG]
    50b

A few more to come soon

2. Mike Bennett

Now a few more, this time from the 'new' Osgood steam shovel. I still can't believe how long of a run they could go on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Don Moos

Don Moos Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

A request for expert shutterbugs.

I tryed several different things on my digital camera to take pics of the spark show, Including the setting for fireworks.

All my pics were pretty much a blurr of orange.

I would appreciate any tips on using the manual settings to capture pics like these. I would think many others may be facing the same lack of knowledge an would appreciate the tips.

Thanks

4. Mike Bennett

Well, these pictures were taken with a film camera. Hovever, there are a lot of things that are similar between a film and digital camera. The biggest thing is get a tripod (unless you're a LOT more steady than I am). The SLIGHTEST movement of the camera will blurr it. Most of the pictures I take are between 2 to 8 seconds exposure with a pretty big lens (50mm f/2). It depends a lot on the size of the lens as to how long the picture will take to come out. There are a lot of variables involved, some that I don't grasp. I know there are some people that take pics with digital cameras more than I do that may have some other suggestions for you. If you didn't have a tripod, I would start there.

5. M Kerkvliet

M Kerkvliet WMSTR Past President Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

I have got a Sony digital camera... DSC-H7, and I leave it on full automatic, "normal" mode. It takes amazing pictures if I let it set itself. If I try to get cute and manipulate settings, I have bad results. The nice thing about it is you can see the results right away and make changes if you have to.

It's the only way to go for me, because a photographer I am not! I don't have any idea what an f-stop or an arpature is!

6. Mike Bennett

A few more Osgood pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Mike Bennett

One more from the 50b and I think I'll call it quits for spark pics for the year. Considering that I put the button cell battery in upside-down and had no light meter, I thought things went pretty well. Can't wait for next year!

[​IMG]

Thanks to the "sandbox crew" for another good sparkshow this year!