Snow Snow Snow

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by karl stange, Mar 8, 2019.

1. karl stange

karl stange Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

jswithers, JLWithers and crystalaakre like this.
  2. karl stange

3. JLWithers

JLWithers Junior Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Keven and I will be back out on Monday to keep working on the OTTO building.
    I really appreciate the people out making the effort to get these buildings cleaned off.
    Thank You.

4. crystalaakre

crystalaakre Mega Poster Moderator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Thank you all for getting out there. It is not a fun job, I know. I appreciate you all keeping the showgrounds in good shape. Quick thinking and hard work deserve more thanks for sure! :congrats:

M Kerkvliet and jswithers like this.
  5. JLWithers

Keven and I went out to the grounds today to try and clean off more roof. We failed. We made it to the prony brake and both got very stuck. Keven says the landscape looks VERY different than Friday, that the trails they rode in on were under new 4 or 5 foot drifts. Snow is about waist deep most places. After getting unstuck, I took a chance and rode down to the service building on the lower road because there was a trail from someone else. When I got there I turned started riding up the hill and immediately knew it was a mistake. By the time I got to the administration building I was on a drift so big that I was eye level with the roof of the "porch." After a little discussion, we loaded up and left. All in all, still a good day at Rollag. I love being out on the grounds.

6. M Kerkvliet

M Kerkvliet WMSTR Past President Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Amazing how much snow there is out there per your descriptions. I wish I could see the video, but I am an anti Facebook guy and it won't let me watch them without logging in, and I have no account there.

Nice that you all got whatever snow you could off the roof before the new stuff on Saturday piled on. It will be very lucky if some of our building don't suffer some damage.

I went to bed early on Saturday evening and thought it was all over for the most part (storm). Buy was I surprised on Sunday morning when I woke up and had more snow to move than I have had all winter in my yard! Then I had to go to work and it took me over an hour to get my truck out of our lot! Crazy about of snow in Fargo... semi's and 53' trailers do not belong down town... especially in the winter!

I don't like to wish my life away, but May cannot come soon enough for me this year!

karl stange and crystalaakre like this.
  7. Jerry Christiansen

Jerry Christiansen Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Hi all,

A big THANKS to all the folks moving snow on the hill. I don't do Facebook either. Is there any way those videos can get over here so we can view them?

Mark, I agree with you. I am ready for the snow to be gone. Last fall was the first time that the Blue Brake was stored on the Hill over winter. I wonder if we will be able to get to it for Steam Up.

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

karl stange likes this.
  8. karl stange

Hi everyone,
    I reached out to Clay County Trailblazers yesterday and this was the response this morning about possible use of one of their groomers to pack down the snow on The Hill...

I recieved a response this morning..

"Morning Karl... Jay A. with the clay county Trail Blazers ... give me a call on the groomer. We would be glad to help you out"

I'm meeting Jay, once a time is set for this afternoon, out on The Hill.

I've been in PHONE contact already, with Peter Mandt and Duane Hovelsrud.
    We have a plan as to what buildings we are needing access, to be able to see what needs to be done.
    This is dependent upon if the grommer has success in making trails where needed.

We will be needing anyone who can help, to meet tomorrow afternoon.

The time for tomorrow afternoon is not yet determined. We just want you to be aware this is going to happen.!

JLWithers and crystalaakre like this.
  9. karl stange

SUCCESS!!!! for yesterday!!!
    The groomer is here, Peter and myself have driven around the grounds checking out buildings needing to be cleaned.
    We're packing snow down and making trails.
    Whoever can make it today, see you guys at 1pm.

10. JLWithers

That is awesome. Wish i could come help. Darn pesky job always getting in the way.

crystalaakre and karl stange like this.
  11. karl stange

20190313_092125-800x432.jpg Had to find and download a photo resize app.....
    The first picture is the groomer machine. Pete is walking around the back to get into the passenger side. Yes, I drive it to show Pete, then he took over after I left.

M Kerkvliet likes this.
  12. karl stange

20190312_163252-800x600.jpg Looking South down Main St. after making some trail.

M Kerkvliet likes this.
  13. karl stange

20190312_161237-800x600.jpg Finally, this is the Freeport building and the snow built up. We'll be dealing with these buildings today.
    I didn't get a photo of it, but the Gazebo on Main St. has a little lean to the North. This will be dealt with today also. Thanks for everyone's help in advance!

M Kerkvliet likes this.
  14. M Kerkvliet

M Kerkvliet WMSTR Past President Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Wow! Thanks for the pics Karl! Looks like a lot of work to be done out there!

karl stange likes this.
  15. Jerry Christiansen

Jerry Christiansen Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Karl,

Thanks for getting the groomer lined up. Thanks to everyone that was able to help with snow clearing!
    You didn't say anything about damaged buildings, so I will assume every thing is OK.

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

karl stange and crystalaakre like this.
  16. karl stange

20190314_114526-800x663.jpg To all, Sorry about the quick postings yesterday. I was trying to update everyone and was in a rush. Boy, the wording of sentences. Ha ha. I'l try better today.

Jerry,
    The only roof problem seen by Duane was Sid's tarp leanto. (I imagine from the snow sliding of the roof of the Prony Brake shelter).
    Pete and the groomer driver, Greg went to the Construction area side of the grounds and found no problems. Pete said it was amazing what the Groomer machine could go through and Greg, from CCTBSC, was having fun driving through the "fresh" snow. Lol.
    Everyone who had been out before the Groomer was there helping yesterday, commented on how it was so much easier walking to the buildings.
    We also had people with snowmobiles hauling shovels, roof rakes and ladders. Which helped tremendously.

Jay, the President of the Clay County Trail Blazers Snowmobile Club, says anytime we need this machine, do not hesitate to call.
    The trailer to haul the machine was borrowed from Turf Tamers out of Fargo.
    Pete and I noticed one thing... to pack the snow with the machine closer to the buildings where we can. Once off the packed trails, you sank about up to mid-thigh (for me) into the snow.

crystalaakre and M Kerkvliet like this.
  17. karl stange

20190313_142042-800x600.jpg A few photos....

Was a good crew which showed up yesterday. About 15 people.

M Kerkvliet likes this.
  18. karl stange

20190313_153407-800x600.jpg The Freeport building roof being cleaned off.

M Kerkvliet likes this.
  19. karl stange

20190313_155527-600x800.jpg How the younger guys were able to get onto the Freeport roof.

M Kerkvliet likes this.
  20. karl stange

20190313_153617-800x600.jpg Cleaning off the Blacksmith building. We did both sides, naturally.

M Kerkvliet likes this.