Silent Movie Theater

crystalaakre

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
I'd really like to start a small theater for old silent movies. It could be even just a small booth with a projector. I ran across two victorian theatre seats (that seat two people each) at an antique store not far from my house. $385 a piece and in real good shape. Perhaps I could talk him down. Does anyone else think this would be a neat idea??

Hey Crystal, I have always enjoyed watching old time movies. Black and whites, silent films and just some good old movies. I hope some day we can add the movies to Rollag. I have really missed the Drive-In Theaters that used to be around. I would guess that there are kids now that have never heard of them. Well, maybe they think that it only exists in the movies (like Grease). Then again maybe they have not heard of that movie. As for the chairs...Rollag price works for me.

theater chairs - victorian 1910?

a couple pictures of the theater chairs for the silent movie theater. I would like to get them if I can get help. (I don't personally have the funds yet.) They are in really good condition. Perhaps he will cut us a deal for the set.

0804071417a.jpg

0804071417b.jpg

crystalaakre;2030 said:
I'd really like to start a small theater for old silent movies. It could be even just a small booth with a projector. I ran across two victorian theatre seats (that seat two people each) at an antique store not far from my house. $385 a piece and in real good shape. Perhaps I could talk him down. Does anyone else think this would be a neat idea??
I am removing equipment from a drive-in theatre that I would like to display on the show grounds. I have all the equipment except the sound amp.

What equipment would be needed to get something going? That sounds great, except that we don't have space really set up for it.

Thoughts anyone?

Very cool find. I think that that is a wonderful idea and would love to help in any way.

crystalaakre;2030 said:

I love the idea of a movie theater. It would be a neat addition to main street. I would really think about paying for theater seats. There are 1000's of these things available from theatre remodels and school demo's i have seen them listed under $50 for an entire row and some can be picked up for free. Harder yet to get would be projection equipment and movies. But it could be as simple as using a projection tv and video recorders too.

10 Cent movies anyone?

Don Moos;8364 said:
I love the idea of a movie theater. It would be a neat addition to main street. I would really think about paying for theater seats. There are 1000's of these things available from theatre remodels and school demo's i have seen them listed under $50 for an entire row and some can be picked up for free. Harder yet to get would be projection equipment and movies. But it could be as simple as using a projection tv and video recorders too.

10 Cent movies anyone?

I was thinking the same as you Don, we could even just set up a projector on a white wall somewhere on main street. I even thought maybe one of those boxcars or a trailer that would work. I don't think the original seats I posted are available anymore, but like you said, we could probably find some much cheaper. I'll keep looking into this...space, location, projector, movies, etc. I welcome any ideas!

movie

I can picture it now--a whole bunch of golf carts mixed in with lawn chairs. Good chance to sell popcorn and drinks. Run it after the spark show on fri night--no one sleeps anyways

crystalaakre;8367 said:
I was thinking the same as you Don, we could even just set up a projector on a white wall somewhere on main street. I even thought maybe one of those boxcars or a trailer that would work. I don't think the original seats I posted are available anymore, but like you said, we could probably find some much cheaper. I'll keep looking into this...space, location, projector, movies, etc. I welcome any ideas!

Crystal,

Do we not have a Mainstreet committee of some kind set up to consider Mainstreet exhibits to add.

I just really like the Silent Movie theatre idea.

I has a couple of difficulties to overcome
1. Other than a concession for popcorn and pop(which we already have nearby) there is not much of a souvenir opportunity. Unless we had some industrious movie people that say created Rollag the slilent movie and we sold souvenir movie posters
2. Accomodating traffic If we could seat 50 people...Benches would be period relevant. and the movie was 15-20 min. we could do 2 runs and hours.
3. It requires a building with floors, walls and a roof.

It is just something our growing town needs.....that and a barbershop. A funeral parlor would be very interesting (at least on the 31st of this month).

I hope this doesnt die for a lack of voluteers to make it happen. Keep me in mind if you need some intermitent help.

silent movie theatre

Playing a two hour movie during the day would tie up our visitors (night time might work). I thought if we could get old news reels or make our own about exhibits on the show grounds. With the projection equipment I pulled out of the drive-in I got a few seven minute cartoons.

Well, Tim Dachtera already does a great job making the souvenir DVDs for the show about exhibits, maybe that's where our sales come in. I picture it being short 15 minute movies on a loop or something. It doesn't have to be a huge space to start out either, considering the limited area open on main street as it is. I really like the ideas coming in!

I actually see two seperate idea here.

The Silent/oldies theater on Mainstreet. With the short turn around clips.

And the Drive in Theater. And I can remember them, and remember well that so many were being closed down about the time I was graduating High School. That would be a very neat evening attractions. I would try the 4 wheeler option myself. Minnesto drive in's may not have had this feature but in the warmer climates they had outdoor seating sections for non motorized viewers.

Crystal, The selling of our WMSTR video's what a great tie in Idea. Would be a great place to encourage sales of them.

Evening movies

The Starlight in N Fargo(N of Dome) and Moonlight(Hwy 75 S) in Moorhead both had lots of outdoor seating--Great memories! Hope it can come to the hill. Bob

the mercantile comes to mind for night time showing of movies. always seem to be a good gathering place.

dad used to own and manage a movie theatre from 1941 to 1949. this is when the projector was a carbon arc type used for lighting of the film thru the projector lens.

bunch of movie theatre seats are being removed and replaced with more peolpe moving friendly ones from the nelson exhibition hall. could try and save some of this seating and narrow them down to provide seating in a movie house.

Hey Karl, that sounds awesome! With a little work I think we could get this thing going. :)

Yes, I would like to see something happen. Film projectors are now obsolete. I have almost everything from the projection booth of a drive-in. Built between 1928 and 1950 even old tube rectifiers for the arc lamphouses.

I still would love for this to happen. Unfortunately I have too many WMSTR projects on my plate at the moment. If someone else can get it started, that would be great!

I still would love for this to happen. Unfortunately I have too many WMSTR projects on my plate at the moment. If someone else can get it started, that would be great!

Back