Roof over Red Prony Brake

Discussion in 'Prony Brake' started by Jerry Christiansen, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Jerry Christiansen

Jerry Christiansen Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

We are putting a roof over the Red Brake. Last weekend during Steam School we got 6 posts in the ground that will support the roof. We are planning on doing more work this weekend, June 23 and 24.

We need to get the posts cut so they are ready for the headers and put the headers in place. Then we will set rafters, install purlins and put the steel on the roof.

Any help will be appreciated.

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

2. Jerry Christiansen

Jerry Christiansen Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Hi all,

Merlyn M. designed the headers for us. On weekend of June 2 we built the headers at Earl's Mill. The picture below shows the master pounding nails in the header.

[​IMG]

Craig Mattson, Paul and Nathan Young were also helping.

[​IMG]

The headers were stored in the Mill until June 23. On the left you can see Clayton Larson running his boom truck. Owen Oltman and Craig Mattson are in the basket of the Lull attaching the header to the poles.
    [​IMG]

That evening after George Krafts memorial we came back and set the rafters in place. We quit when we got enough purlins on that we didn't have to worry about the rafters falling off. Sunday we came back finsihed putting the purlins on and installed the steel on the roof. I didn't get any more pictures of the rest of the job. Maybe someone else will post some.

Other people that helped were: Jane Larson, Merle Myers, Klinger, Jonathon Haux, Jason Olson, Ryan Unterseher, Jim Todahl, Courteny Stulz. I hope I didn't miss any one. Thanks for all the help!

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

3. craig mattson

craig mattson Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

It will be nice to block the sparks from creating "wind breaker" Still think Cedar Shakes would have been fun!

4. cjmlarson

cjmlarson Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Here's a few pictures that Jane took of the rafters being put in place. As you can see, there were raindrops on the camera lens. The crew was soaked pretty good by the time they finished the job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's Klinger concentrating on setting the rafters in place.