1. Most of the photos in this section are obtained from Jean Siirila and her helpers on the showbook committee. Thank you Jean and crew!

Ray Shoberg - wonderful member inspired and created the show plate

Discussion in 'Tributes' started by Brian K. Nelson, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Brian K. Nelson

Brian K. Nelson Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Raymond W. Shoberg - - Raymond W. Shoberg, age 92, passed away at his home on Sunday, October 6, 2019. He was born on December 31, 1926 to Axel and Elsie (Lillund) Shoberg in Chicago, Illinois. Ray served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He was an inventor, had many hobbies, and loved his ethnic background. Ray is survived by many family and friends. He was preceded in death by his beloved wife, Anne. A Memorial Service will be held at 2:00 p.m. on Sunday, October 20, 2019 at Pagenkopf Funeral Home, 1165 E. Summit Ave, Oconomowoc, with a visitation beginning at 1:00 p.m.

https://www.legacy.com/amp/obituaries/jsonline/194125352

ottocollection and M Kerkvliet like this.
  2. Jerry Christiansen

Jerry Christiansen Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Brian,

Thank you for seeing this and posting it.
    Ray was one of the good people in life.
    Prayers for Ray and his family.

Jerry Christiansen

M Kerkvliet likes this.
  3. Ray Wangler

Ray Wangler Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Thanks Brian for posting Ray’s obituary. Ray was a nice man, and his wife Ann was nothing less than a princess. As kids we joked with her incessantly and she was up for the fun, for sure. Not to get all technical in a man’s memorial, but I wonder what Ray’s IQ was? He was a mechanical genius and I suspect he was very well read in many other areas. He was a tool and die maker by trade. Not only was he instrumental in the stamped plates, but he masterminded the clock tower and all the workings if I’m not mistaken.

M Kerkvliet likes this.
  4. presnelson

presnelson Junior Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Steam Hammer Plates and so much more
    When I first met Ray back in very late sixty's or early seventy's he had first got involved with Rollag by working on the running gear of 353 in the cities,. He had met Elmer Larson and Elmer talked him into helping. Ray worked 2nd shift in Milwaukee and on Friday nights he would hop on the greyhound bus after work and arrive in the cities and Elmer would pick him up and he would work with the crew then head back to Milwaukee. Without Ray we would not have the Pabst engine at Rollag. You're right Ray he donated the tower clock and bulit the 4 clock faces. Then Ray and Anne did the steam hammer plate operation from beginning to end foir 25 years until Ray's health started declining. He was a wonderful man and a good friend. I talked to Ray just before the show and he sounded good but because of health reasons he wouldn't be able to come to Rollag. We will miss him. Thank you Ray for all you did for Rollag
    Duane and Nancy Nelson

ottocollection, Ned, frigstad and 4 others like this.
  5. M Kerkvliet

M Kerkvliet WMSTR Past President Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Another "old" member that many of our younger members, including myself never had a chance to meet, yet influenced the direction of the show that many will never realize.

That's one thing I really like about this "Tribute" forum... it is a place to point all of these bits of information out so that we all can learn and appreciate what people who came before us accomplished.

Thanks for all of the stories all!

s.d. jon, Ray Wangler and frigstad like this.
  6. presnelson

presnelson Junior Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

More thoughts on Ray Shoberg, Ray Wangler used the phrase mastermind the tower clock, don't even know if the Withers boys know this but Ray bought the tower clock from Jim Withers. At the time it only had one clock backing hands mechanism. Ray had to make the other three mechanisms for the other three faces. Also when determining the size of the faces I believe he said for every 10 feet you go up on the tower you add 1 foot diameter of clock face so with the tower narrowing as it went up Ray had to figure at what height and diameter the face would look right. I think they are at 80' with 8' face. The last couple of times I talked to Ray he had heard the clock faces were coming apart or separating. I am sure with Ray being such a perfectionist that he had built those to last forever. It would be nice if some young member not afraid of heights would take that project on and keep the clock running in Ray's memory
    Duane Nelson

ottocollection and Ray Wangler like this.
  7. Ray Wangler

Ray Wangler Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Duane, I had an idea that Ray put an awful lot into the clock tower, but I wasn't aware of the details, thanks. Is there an article in an old show book? I seem to remember a picture of a setup Ray did on a Bridgeport mill making one of the faces. He built a tremendous looking jig to do the work. Sure wish a man like him could leave some of that skill with us when he went to the big machine shop in the sky. If God has a special project in mind, I suspect Ray is putting the plans together for it now!

8. Brian K. Nelson

Brian K. Nelson Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

71038296-2DFF-4810-9D9D-3462F55D549E.jpeg Photo courtesy of Elaine

Ray Wangler likes this.
  9. Sid Fossan

Sid Fossan WMSTR Lifetime Members WMSTR Lifetime Member

I had the privilege of meeting Ray before the show a few years ago. He was humble with a kind of young man spirit. He confided in me, that every year he had to climb the tower to work on and adjust the clock. He said he wasn't supposed to do it, but said it with sly grin, he said that he would do it when no one was around so he didn't get scolded. He had a twinkle in his eyes when he said it and I'm sure he would still be doing it if his health hadn't failed. My son-in-law had a chance to talk with him about taking on the love and care of the clock, unfortunately, life got in the way and no further arrangements were made to continue the conversation or pass the torch.

Ray is right. (I know it was hard to write as well) We sure need to pass these skills onto our younger members to see that what the old guys knew almost instinctively gets passed on to further generations. Lets talk about that at the annual meeting.

Ray Wangler likes this.