Prony Brake Storage Building

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Jerry Christiansen, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Jerry Christiansen

Jerry Christiansen Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Hi all,

Late last summer, because of a donation made to WMSTR, we got permission to build a storage shed by the Prony Brake. We had proposed the building during last years budget, but it was not approved. The BOD knew we had the plan ready and the crew to do the job. We hoped to get it done before the show, but we all know how plans for that time of the year work out.

The weekend after the show, 8 Sept 2018, a crew prepared the site for concrete. Jane and I were at a different show that weekend. The only picture I have is one below that Don T sent in a text message.

Dirt work 8 Sept 2018.jpg

Doyle Q is busy working. Don T took the picture. I can see Sid F's van in the back ground. I don't know who else was in the crew that day. Hopefully someone will share pictures with me to post, or they will all a post to this thread. As you can see, the forms are complete and a lot of the fill is in. At the end of the day the fill was all done and rebar was in place.

I was hoping to get this thread started sooner. I recently updated to a smart (?) phone and I am slowly getting pictures from it to the computer so I can post them. I should be able to get progress report up soon.

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

Lee, craig mattson and M Kerkvliet like this.
  2. Jerry Christiansen

Hi all,
    We did get more done than prep for the concrete. On the 29 Sept (yes, we had to skip 2 weekends in between) the ready mix truck showed up at 7:30.
    The truck left by 8:30 and we were looking at this.
    rmn 177.jpg

Doyle Q is doing some finish work. Someone is hiding behind Don T. Dave S is looking at the camera.

rmn 178.jpg
    I got Don to back up a step so we can see Seth H was hiding. A typical project, one person is working and at least 4 of us were watching.

rmn 180.jpg

Sid F and Ron F must have finished cleaning the screed.
    While the concrete was curing, we went into Earl's Mill and started building walls for next week.

rmn 181.jpg
    Don is running the radial arm saw, Bryce H is ready to nail and Doyle is directing traffic.

rmn 182.jpg
    Now you can see that Doyle was directing Sid and Dave. In the background on the right, three of the walls are done and leaning against the wall of the Mill.
    A rain shower came through while we were working on the walls. I didn't get pictures of the crew that built a 'tent' over the concrete.

After the rain passed we went back to the slab. We took the tent off and Doyle fired up the power trowel.
    rmn 186.jpg

Watching someone that knows what they are doing with power equipment is always enjoyable. Doyle let me take a turn on the trowel. I wasn't as smooth as he is with it. Before we left for the day we covered the slab with tarps.

More to come,
    Jerry Christiansen

David Schoff and M Kerkvliet like this.
  3. David Schoff

David Schoff Junior Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Not shown in the photos is Jim S helping build walls.

That day for just a short time the rain changed to SNOW. The entire day was barely above freezing. We all froze our butts off. But we got'er done !
    Monday the high was 54.

Thank you for posting photos.
    David

4. Jerry Christiansen

Hi David,

Thanks for adding Jim's name. I hope someone will add more names and pictures from the ground prep weekend.

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

5. Jerry Christiansen

Hi again all,

The picture below looks like it was taken on the 29 September. The concrete is wet, the sky is overcast and some of the same people are in the picture. This picture was taken the next weekend, October 6.
    Oct 6 a .jpg
    From left to right: Jim S, Don T, Doyle Q, Brekke K and Dan K. Some changes to note: 1) some of the forms have been removed, 2) Don's trailer in has the rafters and walls loaded on it and 3) the bottom plate is being put in place.

Meanwhile, Sid F and Xander K were busy build a saw shed next to the Prony Brake roof.
    Oct 6 b.jpg
    I questioned the wisdom and need for this, but later in the day and the next couple weekends I appreciated their efforts.

The crew told me to put the camera away and pick up my tools. I didn't get any more pictures until we took a break for dinner. The next pictures show what it looked like at that time.
    Oct 6 c.jpg
    The walls are all up and tied to the slab. Temporary diagonal braces are being installed. If you look close you can see the one on the north wall.

Oct 6 d.jpg
    We had no shortage of ladders! I think we each brought a couple.

Oct 6 e.jpg
    I didn't get of picture of Xander, Brekke and Sid cleaning the concrete off the form boards. That work was being done just to the right of this picture. The cleaned up boards were used for facia boards on the west and east side.

It was getting pretty dark by the time we quit for the day. The pictures below were taken on Sunday when Jane and I came back to pick up a trailer that we had borrowed to haul the steel to the job site.
    Oct 6 f.jpg
    The east wall is complete and the south wall is nearly complete. The temporary diagonal braces on the east, north and west walls can be seen. The roof is done, including the ridge cap.

Oct 6 g.jpg
    Looking at the southeast corner of the building. Part of the saw shed can be seen in front of the Bobcat.

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

M Kerkvliet likes this.
  6. M Kerkvliet

M Kerkvliet WMSTR Past President Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Very nice, and long needed addition to that area! A photo of the "camper" should be hung inside somewhere to remind all of what the building replaced!

7. Jerry Christiansen

Hi Mark,

The camper shows up in the background of the picture in post #1 and the third picture of post #5. We will have to get more, and better, pictures to show off the fine features of the camper. As soon as people learn that it has We Fest experience, I am sure bids will come in like crazy.

Of course, bidders need to be aware that it does not fit the criteria for camping units left on the grounds for more than 30 days.

Did I type all of that with a straight face?

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen