PRESHOW Woodcutting and clean up day- Aug 3rd

jojo

Junior Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Let's try this a second time.... NO MORE RAIN NEEDED!!:cool:...

***CALLING ALL WORKERS ***

On Saturday - August 3rd, 2019 @ 8:00 am there will be a woodcutting & splitting day for the upcoming expo. It will also be general grounds clean up for people that may not be able to split or cut wood.

If you need hours to be active this year, this is for you!

With the amount of wood that will be consumed during the show by not only steam engines but also campfires, we need to cut and split all we can BEFORE the show so that during the show it is not as dire as it was in past record breaking years.

Anyone that can bring chainsaws,wood splitters' and trailers and/or skid steers to haul/load wood is asked to please bring them. This is also a great time to rake leaves and clean up sticks from all over showgrounds... so maybe rakes and wheelbarrows? A few weeks ago some members started cutting the dead ( and board approved and marked trees) down behind the Admin and over by the miniatures so wood is stacked neatly but needs to get moved down to Steamer Row to get split to dry... leaves needs to be picked up and branches hauled to be burned. Lot's to do before show yet!

Work day will start at 8 am and go ALL day or until the work is done.... ( and that IS possible if we have ample help). For all members working - a light meal at noon will be provided for a free will donation - all funds going to the SOS ( Save Our Steamers ) fund. If you would like to bring a dish to add to the meal - you sure can!

Many hands and able bodies make for light work!

Hope to see lots of you on August 3rd!

Anyone want to do some wood cutting this weekend?
The weather looks good not too hot slight chance of that R word.
We're going to need all the wood we can get this year.
I'll be there sometime Saturday morning.
Ned

Remember wood cutting this weekend. We need all the help we can get and all the wood too.
Remember if you run an engine or a camp fire with wood you should probably help replenish the piles.

The Thick n Thin will be cutting up slab wood west of the sawmill. We will cut it up and then haul it over to the wood pile with a truck. If you are looking for some place to help, come on over it is always comical and fun working with Danger Boy.:gathering:
We will have more than we need for the engines that run at the mill.

Ned should this be dumped next to the conveyor so it can go into the pile or where would you like it put?

Clayton it was good to meet you and the crew Saturday morning, the boys had a good time and fell asleep on the way back. And the oldest keeps talking about the sawmill

Glad they had fun, I will say it has been sometime since I had to answer that many questions in a short amount of time.:gathering:. We sure appreciated all the help you and the boys gave the show that day. Also thank you for becoming a member to the greatest show in the U.S. there are two young boys that will become great assets to the show in the near future:woohoo1:

Can anybody give me an idea what the wood situation for this year is? Will be arriving the week prior and am wondering if there is need for splitting and or slab cutting.

Can anybody give me an idea what the wood situation for this year is? Will be arriving the week prior and am wondering if there is need for splitting and or slab cutting.
Hi Rick,
That's a tough question to answer. Most if not all of the crates are filled. The wood bunker has some wood in it but not a lot. If we have good weather I have a bad feeling we might run out much like we did during the Minneapolis expo. I have my C-saw (Farmall C with a buzz saw) staged by the wood bunker ready to go.
Maybe we can get together and do some cutting this weekend?

Ned

Hi Ned and others,

Are we in need of more crates? If so, I think we can get some by this weekend.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

I'm planning on arriving Saturday the 24th and hanging around 'till the 4th or thereabouts. I've been more scarce around the grounds than I'd like to be this summer, and I didn't know if there was a huge pile of gnarly logs in the circle or another trailer full of 3' cottonwood that would benefit from my diverting en route to grab my dad's splitter with a lift wing and more mojo than average. Will bring my long saw bar regardless. Just wanna do my part to help the needs get met. :)

Jerry/Rick others,
As far as the crates a few more probably wouldn't hurt. If the plastic has been removed.
Rick there was only a few logs that need to be sawed and split in the wood bunker, there's also a few of the monster cottonwoods left but getting less and less of them every time!
To all we are trying to keep the split wood in the bunker and slab wood in the crates. When the slab is piled in the bunker it tends to get buried and rot.
I think if during the show we get a group together and spend some time refilling the crates we should make it. Like I said earlier my C-saw will be there on standby maybe we can borrow Nelson's Case's with the buzz saws and there's a few more buzz saws that just need a tractor and belt.

Thanks again
Ned

Back