Pics from 2007 Show

M Kirschenman

Intermediate Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
After 4 years of work, we finally had the first shaft a a couple of machines running at the 2007 show:
Shop6.jpg

Shop3.jpg

Shop5.jpg

And of course the usual crown hovering around Aldin's foundry
Shop2.jpg

More Shop Pics

Below is a portion of the lineshaft bearings Marc Fritzler helped me clean up so we could get the first shaft running:
Bearings.jpg

About 12 of the lineshaft bearings sat in a barn near Duluth for many years that was in a swamp; the barn burned down on top of the bearings before we were able to retrieve them. Despite this, everything was salvagable (after massive cleaning).

Note that these are roller bearings with split cages.
Bearings3.jpg

Bearings2.jpg

Equipment

None of the equipment going in the shop is usable as required; all of the items have/will require some reconditioning.

The next to pics are before and after of a Barnes 15" drill press. This is one of the machines donated from the Danny Roen estate. The spindle was bored out and sleeved, the leadscrew and gear assembly that raises the table was missing and needed to be refabricated, the quill handles were gone and the lower bearings were rebabited.
BarnesPress2.jpg

BarnesPress1.jpg

Closeup of new jacking screw assembly
BarnesPress3.jpg

Great job Mark. I look forward to seeing the whole layout up and running!:bannana:

Milwaukee Drill Press

Next are a few shots of a Milwaukee drill press that was just finished. This machine was a real disaster with 3 broken castings and a sloppy spindle
MilwaukeePress1.jpg

This shot shown this setup used to bore out the spindle
MilwaukeePress4.jpg

This machine has a sun and planet back gear built right into the upper step pulley
MilwaukeePress3.jpg

Belt Sander

We do have one new piece of equipment. Aldin Grahn and one of his sons came up to my shop last summer and we fabricated this little flat belt sander for cleaning up foundry castings. Aldin cast the pulleys for the sanding belts also
BeltSander1.jpg

Porter Lathe

The next group are from the current project, the Porter Machine Works lathe that sat for many years at the old locomotive shed on main street. This is 18" x 60" machine
PorterLathe3-1.jpg

All parts cleaned up, some assembly required
PorterLathe5.jpg

How we got along before Scotchbright pads I don't remember:D

PorterLathe9-1.jpg

The current state.

Pulleys

We have about 40 pulleys of different sizes that have been cleaned up. Particular thanks goes to Gary Aery for cleaning of several reversing clutches (top shelf).
Puleys2.jpg

Aside from the 6 or so regulars that have been working on this project, several of the RR guys have been over and helped out from the beginning of the project. There are plans on file for a direct tunnel from the roundhouse to the shop.:D

Fritz.jpg

Fritz tending the 10Hp Fairbanks during the show.

Wow Mark!

Thanks for the hard work! All very, very impressive! I assume that is your shop? Very clean and well lit! Machinery is all very well done too!:congrats:

You got your hours in for this year yet?:biglaugh:

Glad you are posting pictures! Keep them coming... thats what folks who visit here like the most!

Great Job!!!! Mark and crew, Wish I would have taken some time to see the equipment in action during the show
:congrats:

Back