Other Shows WMSTR Members Attend

Craig Mattson

Vice President, Mega Poster
Administrator
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Hello All!
I am looking to start going to more steam shows. Currently I just go to WMSTR. What sre some other shows and their location and when?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions

Hi Craig,

Its no secret that there is a bunch of us who live in the cities who go to many shows prior to Labor Day weekend. I'll give you a quick list of where we went last year.

6 of us made the 12 hour drive to Pawnee Oklahoma May 6-8.
We battled the 90+ temps at the Little Log Cabin show in Hastings MN the last weekend in July.
Tim and I missed Almelund because we went to a much more important event that weekend. (Jenna Schaumburg-Roth's wedding.) Almelund is usually the 2 weekend in August.
We hit the Nowthen Threshing show in Nowthen MN the 3rd weekend in August,
Of course we went to Rollag.
Two weekends after Rollag we went to the Stearn's County show in Albany MN.
Then Edin's (Jeff & Clara) have a Threshing Saturday at their farm in Askov MN usually the Last weekend in September.

I hope that helps.

Andover, South Dakota has a fun show the week after Rollag. We went there for the first time last year and had a great time.

Thanks Eileen and Tod. So whats camping like? Are there many rollagers cause i don't really want to go ang know noone.

When we go to steam shows we either camp in tents or bring the pop up camper. If you go to Hastings, Almelund, Nowthen, Albany or Edin's i can guaranty you will have plenty of Rollagers to camp next to. Most show do have showers. But I have found that Rollag does have the best showers for members and visitors.

Hi Craig (and everyone else),

Here are the regulars:

Hawk Museum near Wolford, ND on the second full weekend of June. A few Rollagers there. Once in a while it conflicts with Steam School.

Rollag (of course)

New Rockford, ND usually two weeks after Rollag. Lots of Rollag faces there

Eden's on the last weekend of September. Many Rollag people there

Some not so regular:

Bonanzaville in West Fargo 3rd weekend in August (I think) Some Rollagers. No camping, it is an 8:00am to 5:00pm show

Itasca - same weekend as Bonanzaville

Makoti, ND- first full weekend of October, a few Rollag people, some Hawk Museum people

Later,
Jerry

Craig,
There were a number of Rollagers at Andover, camping was in a mowed hayfield, showers but not as nice as Rollag. The one thing we learned by going to different shows is that while at Rollag, we and our friends are so busy that we visit "on the fly." A different show meant we could sit down over coffee and visit. Rollag is by far our favorite, and we love our time there. A different show meant we could be visitors again, meeting some new "steam nuts" like ourselves. I highly encourage you to go to different shows. Each one has its own personality and niche. Be careful though! They are highly addictive!

Other MN shows

East of Grand Rapids. Second full weekend in August.North Central Mn Farm and Antique Assoc.
Esko MN. Last weekend in July I think. Near Duluth, MN

shows

Don't forget Dalton. A good show with a lot of familiar faces and camping. Weekend after Rollag. I agree with Todd 100%, differant shows are a lot of fun and a lot more laid back.

I don't go to any before Rollag. Guess I am too busy getting ready for our show, but I do get to a couple afterward.

Like others have said, the week following WMSTR is Dalton and Andover. I have been to both, but most recently have settled on Andover (James Valley Show) because of the WMSTR friends I have that go there. The Anderson's (Active members of WMSTR) are key people at that show.

2 weeks after WMSTR (on rare occasions it's 3 weeks depending on where the weekend lands) is the Central North Dakota Steam Threshers Reunion in New Rockford, ND. Pretty much the same crew goes there as that goes to Andover. Mark Pedersen is a key person at that show, and has 5 (soon to be 6) operational traction engines there, as well as dozens of gas tractors.

Both of those shows are much, much smaller than WMSTR, and can easily be taken in, in a day. We stay the weekend because of our good friends.

What I enjoy most about these other shows, is I can be a spectator! I enjoy my work at WMSTR, but at these other shows I can enjoy the show, without concerning myself with the day to day operations of the show!

In the past I have been to the Scott-Carver show, Hastings, Dalton, Le Sueur, Albany, and probably a few others. They are all a lot of fun!

Some year I am going to go to Roshholt, SD for a day, just to see what it is all about! We have a couple of very good WMSTR members who are active at that show.

Very soon we will be providing links to some of these shows so you can see what they offer!

I want to put in a quick plug for our annual threshing bee in Donnelly Mn. It is held the weekend before Rollag (8/25 & 26th 2012)this year we will be featuring Oliver
Donnelly is located in central MN about an hr south of the
Dalton threshing bee north of Morris MN (UMM)

After working at our show I usually go rollag ,dalton and albany all have nice shows and I often see some of the same people at all the shows

Crosby, ND show the third weekend in July is a good show with lots of big gas tractors and a lot of steam. Also alot of Rollag people helping. There is camping on the grounds with shower too. Hawk museum, New Rockford, Makoti, and Bradock, ND are good shows too. Stugis, SD has a good show too with big gas tractors and steam.
Kevin

good post!

I managed to make the Itasca show a couple years ago now and the New Rockford, ND show this last year. It's a lot of fun to check out other shows and see what they are doing, what works, what doesn't...and also spread the word about Rollag. I'm excited to try to make it to more shows this year. :dogrun:

Albany is never too far away :)

crystalaakre;10261 said:
I managed to make the Itasca show a couple years ago now and the New Rockford, ND show this last year. It's a lot of fun to check out other shows and see what they are doing, what works, what doesn't...and also spread the word about Rollag. I'm excited to try to make it to more shows this year. :dogrun:

Hi all,

The weather and lack of snow around here may cause us to forget we still have a lot of winter left. This seems like a good time to keep life in Craig's thread and plan for the summer. I haven't looked at the URL posted by donnellythresher yet, I am jsut listing events close by that I hope to attend.

April 11 - Steam Up at Larson Welding, Fargo

May 9 - Steam Up at Lund Machine Shop, New Ulm

June 12-14 - Hawk Museum, Wolford, ND (No conflict with Steam School this year!!)

June 19-21 Steam School at Rollag.

What other shows or events are people going to early in the season?

Doxey, is a motorcycle ride being planned?

later,
Jerry Christiansen

My usual circuit the last few years has been.
Hanley falls MN first weekend in August.
Then we go to rosholt SD
Then rollag.
I display at all 3 shows.
After labor day too busy at work to do any more.

4 th of July at Bonanzaville west end of W Fargo .Lumber sawing with 1/2 scale circular mill,would LOVE steam power .Bob 701-730-1639

Forest City Iowa has a steam show Sept 19th-20th. MANY ENGINES considering the size of the show, most owned by Jerred Ruble.
I go to some tiny, growing shows...one is in Oak Center, MN (near Lake City Mn). Only one miniature engine, but a nice little show. We have become the blacksmiths there. It's held on a family farm, Sept. 26th-27th
Also there's the Root River Power Show, in Racine MN (south of Rochester on hwy 63) July 17th-19th. They have a Minneapolis and I believe a Huber (I worked in the blacksmith shop so I didn't get out much). A nice show with a big flea market, lots of history I haven't seen elsewhere, plus many many tractors.

Back