Not a Work Weekend, but . .

Jerry Christiansen

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Hi everyone,

Usually the second Saturday of the winter months are Work Weekends at Larson Welding. While there weren't enough projects to announce a Work Weekend, a small group of people were there on 12 February working on a couple projects.

1644979962353.jpeg
Jim said that is 30 Hp Avery Skid engine. New skids were built for the engine. A die grinder is being used to make pockets in the bottom for the bolt heads and washers.

1644980089710.jpeg
The skids spent a little time in the far corner of the shop where the holes were drilled all the way through.

1644980146737.jpeg
Kenneth set this shaft up on a mill to cut some key ways.

1644980208664.jpeg
A key way was cut on each end. This shaft will replace one that got bent in a sawmill.

1644980320893.jpeg
A preheater for a Case Steam engine was built.

1644980404519.jpeg

More fitting in the press.

1644980436437.jpeg

A lot of clamps to hold things in place. The crew also used a big torch and hammer for some of the forming.
Notice the fellow on the left with the coffee and donut.

More pictures to come,
Jerry Christiansen

Hi again,

The big project (in other words, the one that took up the most space in the shop) was working on the green, International Water Truck. This thing has been in the shop at every work weekend so far. To get to the clutch, the floor pans came out, the drive shaft came off, the transmission came off and finally the pressure plate and clutch disc were removed. All that happened a couple Work Weekends ago. Today, all that was going back together.

1645151316194.jpeg
Ray W on the far side, I think that is Wimpy with his back toward us. Notice the niffy steering device that was put in place of the steering wheel. I am not sure how that will work when the truck is driven around the grounds.

When I talked with Ray earlier in the week, I asked if he had a pilot shaft to get the clutch disc lined up when it was installed. He didn't and I offered to bring one that I have in my shop.

1645151529300.jpeg

Who would have guessed that a pilot shaft that I used when working on mid '60's Pontiacs would fit.

What do you do if you need to lift a 4 speed truck transmission in place and a transmission jack can't be found?

1645151655703.jpeg

Bryce H showed up at the right time (at least in Ray's mind his timing was good) and got sent under the truck.

The distributor needed some attention. Dave G offered to work on that. The vacuum advance still worked! The mechanical advance was stuck. Dave pulled the distributor out, took it all a part, got it freed up and working well.

1645151805202.jpeg

Here it is with new points, condenser and rotor ready to put back in. I assisted Dave on that step. Actually, I held the light while Dave worked. Getting that thing back in was interesting. New plugs were installed so that part should be ready to go.

Just after the ignition was finished up, I had to leave. I didn't get to stay for dinner. I can't tell you if the truck ran or not.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Back