New track

louie

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
plowing2008002.jpg

I thought I had a few more pictures of the latest railroad project But ican't seem to find them This is looking south from snob hill crossing

louie;5645 said:
I thought I had a few more pictures of the latest railroad project But ican't seem to find them...

I can help you here Louie!

Here is one looking north from the east gate area. You can see the old RR bed and the new...

oldnewrr.jpg

This is from the new RR bed, looking east at a BIG pile of gravel that Peter piled on the south road. Wonder what will come of it?

oldbed.jpg

This one really intrigued me. This is looking south at the new east gate crossing from near the post office. Look how much Peter had to cut out of the road to make the grade correct!

newgraderr.jpg

I don't know a lot about this project, but I know that Asher, the Ronsbergs, Vern, Jeff and Cory, and Peter Keiffer had a lot to do with it. Probably numerous others...

How about some explanation of what we are looking at here folks!

Mark,
What you're looaking at in the picture in question is the East gate crossing!:rof: But I'm guessing that's not really the question.
Before everyone gets worked up about the pile of ballast on the lower road, where the Mt. St. Helens car stood, it's just that, a pile of balast. The roadbed will actually be inside the fiberglass spear in the right of your picture.
As for the crossing. We increased the radius on the corner between Main St. and tie back in to the existing roadbed just west of where the Mt. St. Helens car used to sit. The radius was increased for safety reasons on near the crossing ( I.E. driving locomotive on ground not track ). The reason for the cut has to do with the new radius. When we increase the radius it pushes us further west at the crossing where existing elevations are higher. In order to keep our downhill grade at a minimum, work with the grades on Main Street as well as evening out our downhill grade and tying back into the 90 Lb. rail previously laid the cut at the crossing was nessecary.
By the way this track move will also increase the width of Main Street to accomidate buildings on the east side of the raod as well.
Hope that makes it a little clearer.
Ken Ronsberg

P.S.
Keep in mind that when we add class 5 and balast to the roadbed, it will bring the elevation up and will not be quite as dramatic as the picture would seem

Ken Ronsberg

Part Work Week

Because of family business (my Uncle Morris' personal property sale), Charlene and I will be leaving for Gary on Sunday the 24th of May. The auction is Saturday the 30th. I have made the committment with my Mom and the rest of the family, to help with the set-up for this auction. However; I know the set-up time will not take all of the daytime from Monday to Friday. I will know more of that before we leave Illinois.
Will someone please feed me information on what work I can do at the roundhouse, or otherwise, while I am up there?
Early of last year, I had procured some hose appliances for the fire apparatus on the grounds. Since this trip will be a bunch different than the trips last year, I will be bringing the stuff with me.
To save forum space, feel free to personal message me or call me on my home telephone.
I had hopes of being at Steam School and the show this year. It looks like my hopes had their plans changed, so I want to make the mostof the time allowed me at Rollag.
Paul

rail05-02-09001.jpg
j
spring has finally arrived time for new rail to be laid just a few pictures of last weekends efforts looking east from the Baker Depot

rail05-02-09005.jpg

By the time we finished on sunday afternoon the track was laid from the Baker Depot all the way up to the east gate crossing

Looks like it was a good weekend for track work!

Thanks for posting the pictures Louie. We need to get some of your RR regulars who visit here to get out the cameras and the keyboards! Lot's of folks are wondering what is going on out there!

rail05-02-09021.jpg

just crossing on to the new track for the first time at snob hill crossing

rail05-02-09023.jpg

headed west to the baker depot a big hand to the railroad crew and all who helped:congrats::woohoo1:

Congratulations to the Railroad Crew! Seeing the 353 on the new track along Main Street is very good.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Everybody combined did an amazing job!!:not_worthy: It made for a great ride at steam school weekend. Anyone who has not done trackwork cannot know what labor went into this and the crew deserves time to relax.......PD

Back