New Addition to the Show

I've visited with Klinger, on occasion, and I don't think anyone could sleep through his stories. Something else is afoot there.

Sorry for the delay, but we've been having trouble being able to post pictures. This is a group photo of many of the volunteers that have spent time working on the restoration of the shovel. Just so you know, not everyone is in this photo. This picture was taken during the week prior to the 2013 show.
fetch

Attachments

• conv_546.JPG
    conv_546.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 5
fetch
Bill R had the honors of throwing the first match in the firebox.

Attachments

• conv_547.JPG
    conv_547.JPG
    899.5 KB · Views: 6
fetch
Harvey is making sure the fire doesn't go out.

Attachments

• conv_548.JPG
    conv_548.JPG
    976.7 KB · Views: 5
fetch
Not sure if anybody else sees what I'm looking at, but I think this shows an extremely proud Harvey enjoying all the hard work that has been put into this project so far.

Attachments

• conv_549.JPG
    conv_549.JPG
    765.5 KB · Views: 7
Great to see this thread bumped back up to the top! Great pictures (Jane)? Must have been Jane since Clayton is in the pictures!

There is a little work left to be done on the shovel this spring and summer to get it ready for the construction expo this year. The exhibit is sure to be right at the top of the highlights for the Expo!

M Kerkvliet;n22233 said:
Great to see this thread bumped back up to the top! Great pictures (Jane)? Must have been Jane since Clayton is in the pictures!

There is a little work left to be done on the shovel this spring and summer to get it ready for the construction expo this year. The exhibit is sure to be right at the top of the highlights for the Expo!
so any more pictures and/or updates on what is going on with this project?

I did a little fly aroud with my RC camera this week, my flying still needs some work before showtime, but certainly a different view!

[video=youtube;LMDyXK8wagQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMDyXK8wagQ[/video]

dachtera;n22842 said:
I did a little fly aroud with my RC camera this week, my flying still needs some work before showtime, but certainly a different view!

That is pretty darn impressive Tim!

I agree with Mark, that will make for some neat footage during the show. I am sure you would be welcome to fly that around on Saturday of the show when the Minneapolis threshing crew is demonstrating.

Thanks Mark and Darren. - Yes, weather permitting, it will be airborne. Might make for some interesting spark show footage as well!

rereading this after seeing the shovel in person makes me appreciate all the more all the hard work that went into getting it up and running for this years show hopefully they will not have any more breakdowns and net year it can all 4 days of the show

The thing to remember is this equipment is old and no one knows what will happen from day to day. We do are best to treat this equipment with respect, But we all know it will break down from time to time.

cjmlarson;n23291 said:
The thing to remember is this equipment is old and no one knows what will happen from day to day. We do are best to treat this equipment with respect, But we all know it will break down from time to time.
yea I know everything is subject to breakdown even new equipment and i am not blaming anybody just hoping that next yr I can see in action more than I was able to this year

This thread is going to contain information for the acquisition & restoration of the large Marion-Osgood steam shovel, which has been donated to WMSTR by a group in Battletown, KY. This shovel was found by Bill Rudicill over 25 years ago and he has been working on getting this donated to WMSTR for the past several years. Harvey Pelley, who has also been instrumental in this process, will elaborate on the historical details later on in this thread. This fall, all of the paperwork was finally completed that allowed this piece of equipment to be donated. Harvey is diligently working on finding all of the historical information of exactly when this unit was manufactured and where it was used prior to being located at Battletown.

517411AF-1E8D-44FC-802E-BF6FC1E54196.jpg

Entrance to the quarry in Battletown, KY where the steam shovel was located.

Thread1.jpg

Here is the shovel prior to disassembly for transport.

In the past 2 weeks, the disassembly process has begun. One truckload of parts has arrived, with the boiler & crowd engine being at Larson Welding, and the water tanks and other misc parts are at the showgrounds. Part of the shovel will stay in Kentucky this winter, and Bill, Harvey & crew will be working on those pieces. More to come soon.
image.jpg image.jpg
I have other detailed pictures of this beautiful machine. Some are of broken gears and the internal workings prior to rebuild if you are interested. I've got side by sides of the old and new showing a comparison of what was against what is now. If there is interest contact me please.

Back