mystery instrument

Discussion in 'Musical Instruments and Equipment' started by Lee, May 9, 2007.

1. Lee

Lee Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

I was on my thinking chair this afternoon (930 Case),and thinking.In the mid to late 90's at the Nelson building,there was an gentleman that was playing something I had never seen before.He was seated and he would jig this "thing".It looked like a wood puppet and the feet would move.It is hard to describe but have always wondered if this was one of a kind or something that was popular long,long ago.Just curious.

PS. Can you bring back the bagpiper?

2. Kenronsberg

Kenronsberg Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Puppets

Lee,
    The gentelmans name is Earl Manny. I haven't seen him for quite some time. The little dancing guy had a name although I don't recall what it was. Earl was no kid, and the little dancing fella was a high school wood shop project. He also played the wash tub.
    Ken

3. Lee

Lee Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Thanks for the reply.It seems like a long time ago but it sure was fun watching him on stage.

4. Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson Junior Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

That wooden puppet was a "limberjack". These originated in the appalacian mountains along with their style of old time music. You can do a search for limberjack and find out more.

5. M Kerkvliet

M Kerkvliet WMSTR Past President Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

I'm sure it wasn't the same guy, but there was a guy in Peasant Valley one of the nights I was down there who was playing a wash tub. First time I have ever seen on up close, or heard one! Kind of cool... I think I could master one of those.

I also heard the bag piper from across the lake in Lower Lutefisk. I think he was playing amazing grace.

6. slugger

slugger Intermediate Poster