Mr Steam

cjmlarson

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
I have received sad news this week. Eldon Held has been battling health issues for some time. Do not have all the details but the doctors have stopped the cancer treatments and the prognosis is not good. His latest engine that he finished is under Steam traction engines and is the Nichols and Sheppard 20-70, started by his son heldbrad. Eldon is my mother's cousin and is the brother to Carolyn Thorkildson who the Larson brothers bought the 16 Russell from. He is instrumental in the Hawk museum at Wolford N.D. The family would appreciate your prayers.

Sorry to hear this Clayton. I always enjoy visiting with Eldon, though it has been a few years since I’ve seen him.

Will keep him in prayer here.

Clayton, thanks for the update. Eldon is one of my all time favorites. When I ran my first model at Crosby many years ago, Eldon was encouraging as well as analytical. His kind words helped give me the courage to continue building and honing my skills. I'm very sad to hear he's that sick.

Clayton,

Thanks for the update. Talking with Eldon is always a pleasure. We will keep in in prayers.

Jerry Christiansen

Hi all,

Clayton called to let me know that Eldon passed away on the evening of March 12.
Please keep Eldon and the family in your prayers.

Jerry Christiansen

This was sad news to hear. Eldon was always fun to talk to. As one of the younger folks he would always encourage and help us but also tell you if you were doing something wrong and help teach you the right way to do it. It was always a good time taking with Eldon. He will be missed by all.

This was written by Eldon's sister-in-law and niece. Nice tribute.

Ode to a Steam Engineer

When steam came to the prairie, with its hiss and hum, horses were put to rest

A new adventure of valves, gauges, slow moving, yet steady, water and wood

In the early dawn as the pressure’s rising, the engineer throws a fire in her

There’s work to be done—cutting wood or threshing grain

Keep the fire hot, keep the water boiling

From task to task is an engineer’s promise

The sun sets as the fire dies,

The ashes are left smoldering

Now it’s just for show, to model how it was done

Someone has to teach the youngsters, so the skill isn’t lost

The generations roll on, but tradition is important

We’ll try to take what you taught us all, and carry your messages with us…

…So as you travel on to the field in the sky…

May the wood truck always be full…

May your water tanks never leak…

And may your whistle be clear and true.

In Loving Memory of Eldon Edward Held

7/11/1943 – 3/12/2018

Tribute written by Rachel Houle and Lisa Held.

Back