Minneapolis expo 30yrs ago

DOXEY41

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Haha funny
Hopefully I was out of diapers by then (that's something you would have to ask my parents) . I would have been 4 years old.

Brian K. Nelson

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
That was the first show I ever went to. My Dad's great uncle Gilmer Olson from Twin Valley was operating a Minneapolis steamer (no canopy) and invited us up. I got 'baptized' that day--was on the platform with Gilmer seeing how things worked. He pulled the throttle & we were showered with black rain from the upwind smokestack. I still have that new white cap I was wearing that day-a great memory. I came back every year after that at least 2 days each year, became a member in 1994 and haven't missed since. It was awesome then and is awesome now.
Does anyone know Gilmer from that time? I would like to know whose engine he was running & if it is still or will be at the show again. Thanks for any info. -John
p.s.-Thanks for posting this Ned. I think Mark might be right about the B-R sawmill building being new & it's nice to know that when it was built, it was actually straight!
John - yes the engine is still at the show - Gilman ran Norman B. Nelson's Minneapolis that is now owned by his grandson Eric.

jswithers

WMSTR Lifetime Members
WMSTR Lifetime Member
I'm not sure, but it almost looks like a mass exodus! I bet it was Monday afternoon, during the parade. Pretty typical of the last day of the show... any show I have been to!

Amazing how much attention (traffic) one picture can generate on these pages! Find some more old pictures Ned!
I would agree. It looks like people leaving on Monday afternoon.

Ned

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
I would agree. It looks like people leaving on Monday afternoon.
I not sure but all the cars are parked along the side of the road. I'm thinking it was just people parked and walking in either the east gate or down to the west gate remember west gate used to be just to the west of the workers eat shack. I'm not sure though just my 2 cents.

And Mark I will look around I know I have more photos.

ICLIDA

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
If you look to the west of the Hickson depot, you will see the "new" west gate that I believe was built that year. In the 1988 book there is a picture of Mary Jo standing in front of the new gate. Some years later the gate was moved to it's current location. If I remember right, this was at a time when campers would still park in the parking lot and the security people would get them up at about 5:00 am and inform them that this is not a campground and tell them that they would need to move.

crystalaakre

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Ray I was wondering the same thing about the traffic? Did they let people park on the side of the road if you notice the road was watered but where the cars where it was way dry so they must have been there awhile? I may have been at that show. As a family we would go every year. I would do kids tractor pulls!
I think they did let people park along the road back then. I do remember traffic being insane back in those days too. There were times we would have to go around the 'block' to get home because the road would be backed up all the way to the Hwy 32 and Co. 10 intersection!!

cjmlarson

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
OK help me out, was the train going east and west only? If so, do I see the train water tower? This was long before I started to come to the show.

Ned

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
OK help me out, was the train going east and west only? If so, do I see the train water tower? This was long before I started to come to the show.
I'm pretty sure in 87' the train would have gone roundy round

Ray Wangler

Intermediate Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Clayton, I think the tower is there. Mark, you may be right about the exodus, but the parking lot looks pretty full for a Monday afternoon.......maybe not. I'm going to go with parking on the road, Crystal would know it well for sure. Thanks for all the comments, it's pretty fun to see how we've grown!!!

Ray Wangler

Intermediate Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Just noticed the way the road is watered next to the vehicles, I'm thinking they're parked.

jswithers

WMSTR Lifetime Members
WMSTR Lifetime Member
The Pennsylvania building isn't there yet which means the big Worthington and the 600 Snow aren't there yet. The Delavergne building is still an open building.

Ned

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Here's another item from the 1987 expo how many people recall this? I know lots of people have seen the larger 1/16th scale double cylinder toy this is the 1/64 toy from 1987.
If you ask me it looks a lot like a sheep in wolves clothes :hide:

Minneapolis steamer1.JPG Minneapolis steamer2.JPG

Darren Gunderson

20 Minneapolis #8702 Crew
WMSTR Lifetime Member
If you ask me it looks a lot like a sheep in wolves clothes :hide:

That is putting quite politely. I would agree, at least the big ones this year are actually going to be a Minneapolis.

Darren