Mill Run

Discussion in 'Earl's Mill' started by 40avery, Mar 22, 2007.

1. 40avery

40avery Mega Poster Super Moderator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Welcome to spring guys.:)

The 40 Avery crew would like to know if there will be a saw run anytime prior to steam school?

The steam cylinder oil is starting to dilute in the blood and we all are getting syptoms of LSCOS ( Low Steam Cylinder Oil Syndrome). We have all been rubbing a little oil behind our ears but everyone knows that with out the heat of a steam engine near by it dooes not activate properly.:biglaugh:

If you guys get on this forum let's chat about the possiblility.

2. CaseyD

CaseyD B & R Sawmill Crew WMSTR Lifetime Member

Good one, Rick. It's amazing how correct these 'jokes' are. Here is one I found on a Canadian steam-up event.

"This page is dedicated to the Steam Traction Engine used in the rural farming communities of North America. I would hope that through a better understanding of the steam engines intricacies, workings and safety requirements that more people will be bitten by that proverbial "steam bug". Beware though! Once you are afflicted there is no known cure to medical science.
    Other interests may come and go temporarily but the bug will return seasonally and increase in frequency of attacts. Sometimes referred to as an "itchy throttle hand" or "a longing to hear the stack talk".​
    Your frequency of attendance at steam festivals and shows will need to be increased and the distance traveled will become of less importance.​
    The desire and compulsion for your own throttle will also begin to appear. Scale models may become adequate medicine for some while others afflicted with this oily soot covered bug will need much larger doses weighing 10 to 15 tons. You will be required to consume 50 to 60 gallons of water an hour and need to be feed a continuous diet of wood or coal. Failure to heed the symptoms and comply will only lead to worse attacks in the near future.​
    Various strains of this bug have been reported in collectors of gas engines, gas tractors and cars but the "Steam bug" is considered the most contagious. Positive diagnosis of the affliction can be confirmed by the people you were with at the last show when they say to you, "geez, all you did was talk and watch those guys with the steam engines" and you realize you didn't see nor can you remember anything else from that day!​
    You will likely go back again the next day or to the next possible show by yourself so you can go & watch what you want without anyone saying come on! You will start asking more questions of those guys with the soot covered hats & oily leather gloves who congregate near their wood piles or water barrels (seldom more than 20-30 feet from their engines) and find they welcome your questions and are glad to answer any and all !"

~from: Ontario Steam & Antique Preservers Association

3. Jerry Christiansen

Jerry Christiansen Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Casey,

I like it. Thanks for sharing.

Rick, if Earl's Mill isn't ready, I know of two Prony Brakes that can give you a good run.

Maybe the folks in Earl's Mill could get more done if they didn't watch TV all day. Did you notice the satillite dish on their new addition? We better check the books carefully and see how much the rest of us are paying for their TV habits!;)

Jerry

4. 40avery

Casey,

That is a good post. Thanks.

Jerry,

We may well take you up on that. I am sure one or two weekends prior to the steam school/kids day we will need to steam up and check things out. We will keep you "posted":D

Rick

5. Merlyn Meyer

Merlyn Meyer Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

All work and no play makes sawing dull!!

With a little arm twisting we could be interested in sawing most any weekend. Our equipment is always ready to go!!!!! Rest assured that our Dish is strictly used for business purposes only.!.!.!

6. 40avery

No doubt used only for checking on the futures on 2X4's.:bannana:

7. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Who do I ask if we can get a turn on the mill? The crew on the Gaar Scott would love a turn:D .

8. M Kerkvliet

M Kerkvliet WMSTR Past President Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Are you talking about John Jury's Garr Scott? I know that has been on the sawmill before. Last year maybe?

You need to talk to Merlyn or Roger Meyer. Merlyn checks in here often...

9. Sean Nelson

I am talking about the Nelson Gaar Scott. Thank you for the info.

10. Merlyn Meyer

Merlyn Meyer Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Turn on the Mill

Sean Nelson,
    Check with me a few days before the Show. We try to give everyone a chance that requests a turn on the mill. We set up a schedule so everyone knows when it will be their turn.
    Merlyn Meyer

11. Sean Nelson

Thanks see you there.:D