1. We think we have tackled most of the issues that were causing problems with some area's of the Community Forum. Email should be working again so you should get notifications of subscribed threads, etc. We are working on getting an SSL certificate so the "Website Not Secure" message goes away. Please let us know of any other issues you notice so we can address them.
    Dismiss Notice

Memoirs for Steam Plates

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Michael Lehmann, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Michael Lehmann

Michael Lehmann New Member

I bought a complete set of the Steam Hammer plates a couple years ago. I was wondering what year the memoir was started to be added with the plate. I have memoirs for 1979-current. I am just missing a memoirs for 76-78 if the plates came with one.

2. M Kerkvliet

M Kerkvliet WMSTR Past President Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Great question Michael. We have a plate "expert" who is a regular on these pages! I am sure Jerry will find your post and answer your question shortly!

3. Jerry Christiansen

Jerry Christiansen Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the Forum!

A while back I borrowed a complete set of plates from a friend and scanned in all the inserts. I was going to post them on the Forum, but I forgot to do that. Now that you reminded me, I better get to work.

The first plate was the Liberty Bell in 1976, I don't think there was an insert with that one. Does your plate have printing stamped in the back side of the plate? If so, it probably didn't have an insert.
    Number two with the Case Eagle has info stamped in the back of the plate and no insert. I made a note about that in my records.
    Number three, 1978, I don't know. I didn't make a note to myself. Do you have an insert with your 1978 plate?

We will figure out a good location for the inserts on the Forum, and I will get all the ones I have up.

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

mrnewway and craig mattson like this.
  4. Michael Lehmann

My 1976 doesn't have any stamping on the back. It does have a piece a tape with the original price wrote on it, $13.

The 1977 does have the stamping in the back.

No I don't have the insert for the 1978.

The earliest insert I have is for the 1979 with the 353. As I have looked through them again and that's the earliest I have. When you get all the inserts uploaded that would be great to see them also.

Thanks for getting back to me Jerry.

Mike

5. Jerry Christiansen

Hi all,

I thought about starting another thread with copies of the inserts from the plates. Then I figured that this thread is probably as good as any place for them. Who knows, may be later we will decide to put these in another place.

Some of these were in a font my scanner had difficulty with. I am making no guarantee that I corrected all the typos. Most of these were printed on a 1/4 sheet of paper.

A paper insert was not included in the 1977 WMSTR souvenir plate. Instead the following was forged on the back of the plate inside the impression of “Old Abe” sitting on the world.

“OLD ABE” THE FAMOUS
    EAGLE MASCOT OF THE
    8TH WISCONSIN CIVIL WAR
    REGIMENT WAS USED

SYMOLICALLY IN THE
    J.I.CASE CO. TRADEMARK
    FOR MANY YEARS

THERE IS MUCH INTEREST IN
    ANTIQUE CASE FARM
    MACHINERY AMOUNG THE
    COLLECTORS AND MODELMAKERS
    AT THE ROLLAG REUNION

Here is a copy of the first paper insert I have from 1979

WMSTR
    Steam Hammer Plate

Thank you for purchasing the 1979 Rollag
    aluminum plate. This plate commemorates
    the restoration and placing back into
    service of American Locomotive Works
    0-6-0 Engine Number 353. This locomotive
    operated in St. Paul until the 1960's and
    was acquired by the WMSTR in 1971 0

This steam forging hammer, with which
    these plates are manufactured, was built
    in 1896 and used by the Great Northern
    Railway for making forgings for its car
    shops in St. Paul until 1972. It is a
    representative of a class of industrial
    devices first used in the early 1800's

to produce a variety of products from
    wrenches to crankshafts. The hammer's
    ram weighs 1500 lbs. and is moved up and
    forced towards the work with steam
    pressure. The die rests on an anvil
    which weighs 7 tons and rides on a bed of
    timbers in the center of a 25 ton founda-
    tion 10 feet thick. A special die was
    designed by a reunion member to allow
    this hammer to make these finely detailed
    plates.

Since 1976 a yearly design has been placed
    on the plate. 1976--a bicentennial liberty
    bell, 1977--the J.I. Case eagle emblem,
    1978--a threshing scene, 1979--steam loco-
    motive number 353.

All labor for this project is donated and
    all proceeds from the sale of the plates
    supports ongoing development of the WMSTR.

I don't have a copy for 1980. I don't know if that means there wasn't one, or if the insert was missing from the collection I borrowed. Here is the 1981 insert.

Thank you for purchasing the 1981 WMSTR souvenir aluminum plate. A plate has been manufactured at the WMSTR show since 1976, each year with a different theme: 1976-- the liberty bell, 1977-- the Case eagle, 1978--Threshing scene, 1979--Locomotive #353, 1980--Spinning wheel.

This year’s plate features the trademark of the Peoria, Illinois’ Avery Company, the bulldog. Avery started in 1877 building planters, stalk cutters and cultivators, in 1891 they started the manufacture of steam traction engines and continued until the 1920’s. While they produced return flue and direct flue top-mounted engines, they are best know for their direct flue under-mount traction engine of which WMSTR exhibits 2 beautiful examples.

The steam forging hammer used in the plate stamping process was hew in 1892 and was used by the Great Northern Railroad until 1970. All labor connected with this project is donated and all proceeds go to the WMSTR for use in financing new exhibits.

More later,
    Jerry Christiansen

M Kerkvliet likes this.
  6. Jerry Christiansen

Hi all,

A few more are ready

Thank you for purchasing the 1982 WMSTR souvenir aluminum plate. A plate has been manufactured at the WMSTR show since 1976, each year with a different theme: 1976-- the liberty bell, 1977-- the Case eagle, 1978--a threshing scene, 1979--our locomotive #353, 1980--a spinning wheel, and 1981--the Avery bulldog.

This year’s plate features a scene familiar to those who attend the WMSTR show each Labor Day weekend and familiar to several generations of people who lived in rural America. The blacksmith was the person who shod the horses and sharpened the plows of the farms, who repaired the machinery, who welded complex jobs in his forge, who made ornamental ironwork, and who was the local “handyman” when it came to repairing and fixing. Many watched in awe as the blacksmith would pull red hot iron from his forge and beat on it and create a shower of sparks in the dimly lit interior of his shop.

The WMSTR is fortunate to have a blacksmith shop which demonstrates these skills for all those who wish to stop by. While there are still many ‘smithies’ in this country this show is one of the few places where one can see him in operation.

The steam forging hammer used in the plate stamping process was hew in 1892 and was used by the Great Northern Railroad until 1970. All labor connected with this project is donated and all proceeds go to the WMSTR for use in financing new exhibits.

Thank you for purchasing the 1983 WMSTR souvenir aluminum plate. A plate has
    been manufactured at the WMSTR show since 1976, each year with a different
    theme: 1976-the Liberty Bell, 1977-the Case Eagle, 1978-a threshing scene,
    1979-our steam locomotive #353, 1980-a spinning wheel, 1981-the Avery Bulldog,
    and 1982-the Blacksmith.

This year's plate has the printing press as the featured image. Since the
    1600's the literate peoples of the world have depended upon the printed word for
    news, learning, entertainment, religion, and for the recording of history. In
    this country almost every town, no matter how small, started out life with a
    newspaper printed locally. The newspapers of the 1880's printed in these
    communities consisted of reports of local happenings, advertisements, some world
    and national news, and of course those wonderful patent medicine ads.

Behind the printing press and its products is the Editor. WMSTR is fortunate to
    have its own printing office, Reunion Newspaper, and Bob Brekken, editor of theHawley Herald heading up the entire operation. During the Reunion you can
    experience the flavor of the old print shop and see type setting, linotype
    operation and the printing press in operation.

The steam forging hammer used in the plate stamping process was made new in 1892
    and used by the Great Northern railroad until 1970. The die used to make the
    plate is made each year by Ray Shoberg of Milwaukee and the project is
    supervised by Ann Shoberg, also of Milwaukee. All labor connected with this
    project is donated and all proceeds go to the WMSTR for use in financing new
    exhibits.

****** THE FIDDLER ******

Thank you for purchasing the 1984 WMSTR souvenir aluminum plate. This plate is the result of an idea first developed in 1976 and is the ninth such product to be made at the WMSTR annual show held on Labor Day weekend at Rollag, Minnesota. Other plate motifs in this collector’s line are: 1976-Libery Bell; 1977-Case Eagle Trademark, 1978-Threshing scene, 1979-our locomotive #353, 1980-spinning wheel, 1981-Avery Bulldog trademark, 1982- Blacksmith, and 1983-Printing Press.

This year’s plate theme involves music as symbolized by the violin player, or "the fiddler" as, we at Rollag would call him. Music was an ubiquitous commodity in the life of the pioneer and is just one of the parts of history that we recreate at our

Reunion. The homesteading farmer had very little contact with the outside world and had to provide his own entertainment. Folk tunes were brought over from the ‘old country’ and were composed in the "new land" as well. "Kan du glemme gamle Norge" and "Nicolena" were two of the thousands of “popular” songs sung by our ancestors at
    family and community gatherings and the instruments accompaning these tunes ranged from the accordian to the violin to the harmonica.

Here at Rollag one can see impromptu musical groups gathering at various locations throughout the day and can attend 3 evening shows where much of the old time music is showcased .

The die used to make this plate is designed by Ray Shoberg of Milwaukee, Wisconsin and the project is supervised by Ann Shoberg, also of Milwaukee. The steam forging hammer use to make the plates was new in 1892 and was used by the Great Northern Railway in their St. Paul, Minnesota shops until 1970. All labor connected with this project is
    donated and all proceeds go to the WMSTR for use in financing new exhibits.

**'**THE CAROUSEL ****

Thank you for purchasing the 1985 WMSTR souvenir aluminum plate. This year's product is the result of an idea. developed in 976 and seen in it's tenth edition this Labor Day weekend at Rol1ag, Minnesota. Three tons of aluminum have been used in this project since 1976. Other plate motifs in this collector’s line are: 1976-Liberty Be11, 1977-Case Eagle Trademark, 1978-Threshing Scene, 1979-our Steam Locomotive #353, 1980- Spinning Wheel, l981-Avery Bulldog Trademark , 1982-Blachsmith, 1983 -Printing Press, 1984-The Fiddler.

This year’s plate theme involves the merry-go-round Carousel that was so prominent in the early part of this century in town and city alike whenever the carnival came to town The WMSTR is proud to own one of these beautiful mechanical device and to entertain your and old with its motion and it’s music played by an authentically reproduced band organ. Our carousel is a 1920model Parker Brothers machine featuring wooden horses which were machine carved and hand finished. This model spent its life based in the Pelican Rapids, Minnesota area.

The die used to make this plate is designed by Ray Shoberg of Milwaukee, Wisconsin and the project is supervised by Ann Shoberg; also of Milwaukee. The steam forging hammer used to make the pates was made new in l892 and used by the Great Northern Railway in their Saint Paul, Minnesota shops until 1970. All labor connected with this project is
    donated and a11 proceeds go to the WMSTR for use in financing new exhibits.

****** THE STATUE OF LIBERTY ******

Thank you for purchasing the 1986 WMSTR souvenir aluminum plate. This keepsake is the result of an idea first developed in 1976 and is the eleventh in this continuing series of limited edition products made at the WMSTR annual show held on Labor Day Weekend at Rollag, Minnesota. Other motifs in the series include: 1976-Liberty Bell,
    1977-Case Eagle Trademark, 1978-steam threshing scene, 1979-the WMSTR steam locomotive #353, 1980-spinning wheel, 1981-Avery Bulldog Trademark, 1982-Blacksmith, 1983-printing press, 1984-Fiddler, and in 1985-Carousel.

This year we have chosen the statue of Liberty as the emblem of the show. This series started with the Liberty Bell in our bicentennial and it is fitting that we should honor the symbol that so many of those who settled this midwest area saw as they immigrated to the U.S. After 100 years of life in New York harbor this statue saw extensive restoration to preserve it for generations of Americans and prospective Americans to come. The theme of restoration for the purpose of reserving the past is a tradition at Rollag and we pay tribute to those who masterminded this overwhelming task.

The die used to make this plate is designed by Ray Shoberg of Milwaukee, Wisconsin and sales and distribution is supervised by Ann Shoberg, also of Milwaukee. The steam forging hammer used to actuate the die was made in 1892.and was used by the Great Northern Railway in their St. Paul, Minnesota shops until 1970. All labor connected
    with this project is donated and all proceeds go to the WMSTR for use in financing new exhibits at our show.

*****~THE MINNEAPOLIS STEAM TRACTION ENGINE******

The Centennial Exposition of the products of the Minneapolis Threshing Machine Company, West Minneapolis, Minnesota is being held at the 1987 WMSTR show and this plate features the double cylinder steam traction engine made by Minneapolis. From 1902 until 1911 the company made 499 of these unique machines but there are very few working examples for steam enthusiasts to see. The first double engines were made with 2 smoke stacks but this unsuccessful design was superseded in 1904 with the adoption of the more conventional single stack profile. The Minneapolis Threshing Machine Company was founded in 1887 and produced fine quality farm machinery until
    1929 when it merged with Minneapolis Steel Machinery Co. and Moline Plow Co. to form the Minneapolis-Moline Company which was in business until the White Corporation acquired them.

This plate is the result of an idea first developed in 1976 and is the 12th such product to be made at the WMSTR annual show held on Labor Day Weekend at Rollag, Minnesota. Other plate motifs in this limited edition collector's line are:
    1976-Liberty Bell, 1977 -Case Eagle Trademark, 1978-Threshing scene, 1979-steam locomotive #353, 1980-spinning wheel, 1981-Avery Bulldog Trademark, 1982-Blacksmith, 1983-print shop, 1984-The Fiddler, 1985- The Carousel, and 1986-Statue of Liberty

The die used to make this plate is designed by Ray Shoberg of Milwaukee, Wisconsin and the project is supervised by Ann Shoberg, also of Milwaukee. The steam forging hammer used to make the plates was new in 1892 and was used by the Great Northern Railway in their Saint Paul, Minnesota, shops until 1970. All labor connected with the support of this project is donated and all proceeds go to the WMSTR for use in financing new exhibits.

More to come later,
    Jerry Christiansen

7. Michael Lehmann

I have an insert for 1980

Thank you for purchasing the 1980 Rollag aluminum plate. This plate commemorates the many contributions made to this show by the women's activities division of our organization. The plate shows a pioneer woman spinning yarn, a scene viewed each year at the reunion and an activity that was common-place 100 years ago.

The steam forging hammer with which the plates are manufactured, was built in 1896 and used by the Great Northern Railway for making forgings for its car shops in St. Paul until 1972. It is a representative of a class of industrial devices first used in the early 1800's to produce a variety of products, from wrenches to crankshafts. The hammer's ram weights 1500 lbs. and is moved up and forced downward towards the work with steam pressure. The die rests on an anvil which weighs 7 tons and which rides on a bed of timers in the center of a 25 ton foundation 10 feet thick. A special die was designed by a reunion member to allow the hammer to make these finely detailed plates.

Since 1976 a yearly design has been placed on the plate. 1976-a bicentennial liberty bell 1977-the J.I. Case eagle emblem, 1978-a threshing scene, 1979-steam locomotive number 353, 1980-woman spinning.

All labor for this project is donated and all proceeds from the sale of the plates supports ongoing development of the WMSTR.

Mike

8. Jerry Christiansen

Mike,

Thanks for posting the 1980 info! Let's move on with more.

******* The OTTO GAS ENGINE *******

Thank you for purchasing the 1988 souvenir aluminum plate. This keepsake is the result of an idea first developed in 1976 and is the thirteenth in this continuing series of limited edition products made at WMSTR annual show held on Labor Day Weekend at Rollag,Mn. Other Motifs in the series include: 1976- Liberty Bell, 1977-Case Eagle trademark, 1978-steam threshing scene, 1979-the WMSTR steam locomotive # 353, 1980-spining wheel, 1981-Avery Bulldog trademark,1982- blacksmith, 1983-printing press, 1984-fiddler, 1985-carousel, 1986- Statue of Liberty. 1987-The Great Minneapolis line

This year we have chosen an OTTO Gas Engine and the OTTO shield which is the trade mark of the "Otto Gas Engine Works", The OTTO Exposition held as part of our show this year is to honor the memory of Mr. N.A. Otto who invented the four cycle engine and started the first company entirely devoted to the production of internal combustion engines.
    We will have on exhibit the largest collection of otto's in one location in the last 70 years.

The die used to make this plate was designed by Mr. Ray Shoberg of Milwaukee,Wisconsin, sales and distribution is supervised by Ann Shoberg, also of Milwaukee.The steam forging hammer used to artuate the die was made in 1892 and used by the Great Northern Railroad in their St. Paul Mn. shops until 1970. All labor connected with this project is
    donated and all proceeds go to WMSTR for use in financing new exhibits at our show.

****** THE DRAFT HORSE ******

Thank you for purchasing the 1989 souvenir aluminum plate. This keepsake is the result of an idea first developed in 1976 and is the fourteenth in this continuing series of limited edition products made at WMSTR annual shows held on Labor Day Weekend at Rollag, Minnesota. Other motifs in the series include: 1976-Liberty Bell, 1977-Case Eagle, 1978-Steam Threshing Scene, 1979- WMSTR Steam Locomotive #353, 1980-Spinnlng Wheel, 1981-Avery Bulldog, 1982-Blacksmlth, 1983-Printing Press, 1984-Fiddler , 1985-Carousel, 1986-Statue of Liberty, 1987-The Great Minneapolis Line, 1988-The Otto Gas Engine.

This year our plate depicts the draft horses who played a very important part in the lives of the pioneer farmers. These horses were used for plowing, planting, cultivating, harvesting and hauling. The barn and draft horse area was added to the show grounds in 1988, and now provides many authentic demonstrations and displays.

The die used to make this plate was designed by Mr. Ray Shoberg of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Sales and distribution is supervised by Anne Shoberg, also of Milwaukee. The steam forging hammer used to actuate the die was made in 1892 and used by the Great Northern Railroad in their St. Paul, Mn. shops until 1970. All labor connected with this project is donated and all proceeds go to WMSTR for use in financing new exhibits at our Show.

WMSTR SOUVENIR STEAM PLATE

The 1990 WMSTR Plate is the 14th in a series that began to be offered at the Reunion in 1976. Each year a theme is chosen and is represented on our plate. This year we are featuring Miniatureland.

The display of scale model machinery started with our first reunion 37 years ago. Master model builder Norman Nelson, one of the show’s founders, has provided the heart of our scale model exhibits and this basis has been added to
    each year so that now Miniatureland provides a major part of our show. It is with the scale model steam powered equipment that some of our younger members begin their training in the art of steam engineering.

Other design themes in this series include; 1976-Liberty Bell, 1977-Case Eagle, 1978-Pioneer Threshing Scene, 1979-WMSTR Locomotive #353, I980-Spinning Wheel, 1981-Avery Bulldog, 1982-Blacksmith, 1983-Rollag Print Shop, 1984-Fiddler, 1985-Merry-Go-Round, 1986-Statue of Liberty, 1987-MTM Steam Engine, 1988-0tto Gas Engine, 1989-Draft Horses.

WMSTR SOUVENIR ALUMINUM PLATE

The 1991 WMSTR plate is the 15th in a series that was first offered at the Reunion in 1976. Each year a theme related to our show is represented on this plate. The 1991 theme is "Pioneer Homemaking."

The "unsung hero" of the industrial and agricultural revolution was the woman who stayed home and provided the domestic environment for the workers. On the farm during harvest the most pleasant memories were of the meals and lunches to which the threshermen had access. One of the "selling points" of the WMSTR shows from the very first fall festivity has been the quality of the meals and especially the traditional Thresherman's Breakfast. This year WMSTR wishes to make a special effort to commemorate the tireless efforts of the women who toiled at their homemaking duties long after the men of the family were resting after a day's work. Our hats are off to the Ladies!

Other design themes in this series include; 1976-Liberty Bell, 1977-Case Eagle, 1978-Pioneer Threshing Scene, 1979-WMSTR Locomotive #353, 1980-Spinning Wheel, 1981-Avery Bulldog, 1982-Blacksmith, 1983-Rollag Print Shop, 1984-Fiddler, 1985-Merry-Go-Round, 1986-Statue of Liberty, 1987-MTM Steam Engine, 1988-0tto Gas Engine, 1989-Draft Horses, 1990-MiniatureLand.

WMSTR SOUVENIR ALUMINUM PLATE

The 1992 WMSTR plate is the 17th in a series that was first developed for our Reunion in 1976. Each year a theme relating to our show is represented on this plate. This year we feature the J. I. Case Company.

In 1842 Jerome Increase Case first began to produce threshing machinery for use by the American farmer who had, up until this time, been seperating the grain from the straw using largely manual operations. J. I. began with a simple machine that was little more than a threshing machine cylinder which nevertheless greatly increased the amount of grain that the farmer could make available for sale each year. Case's machine were so succesfull and he was such a good business man that the Company's size rapidly grew so that by 1900 it was one of this country's largest manufacturing firms. Racine, Wisconsin thus became one of the important centers in the manufacturing of all many of agricultural machinery, some of which found its way into most of the countries of the world. The 1992 WMSTR is featuring the entire output of products of Case in celebration of the founding of the company 150 years ago. This show has put together the largest and most complete display of the output of the Case Company ever assembled.

Design themes in this series include; 1976-Liberty Bell, 1977-Case Eagle, 1978-Pioneer Threshing Scene, 1979-WMSTR Locomotive #353, 19S0-Spinning Wheel, 1981-Avery Bulldog, 1982-Blacksmith, 1983-Rollag Print Shop, 1984- Fiddler, 1985-Merry-Go-Round, 1986-Statue of Liberty, 1987-MTM Steam Engine, 1988-0tto Gas Engine, 19S9-Draft Horses, 1990-MiniatureLand, 1991-Pioneer Homemaking.

WESTERN MINNESOTA
    STEAM THRESHERS REUNION

SOUVENIR ALUMINUM PLATE - 1993-

Thank you for your purchase of the WMSTR 1993 Souvenir Plate. This is Rollag's 40th show and time to look back at
    our history, pay tribute to our founders, past and present officers and dedicated members. Each year we have a group of loyal members from Canada who come down to help us put on our show. To these hard working folks and to the many Canadian visitors who come to support our show, we would like to dedicate this years plate:
    Welcome Canadian Friends" .

This is our 18th year making souvenir plates. A project which started as a special undertaking for the Bicentennial yew; 1976, showing the Liberty Bell. Each year a theme relating to our show is featured. All the proceeds from the sale of plates, after paying for materials, are turned over to WMSTR and used for improvements to make a better show. Thanks for your support - The Steam Hammer Crew.

WESTERN MINNESOTA

STEAM THRESHERS REUNION

Rollag, Minnesota

SOUVENIR ALUMINUM PLATE

1994 JOHN DEERE EXPO

Thanks you for your purchase of the WMSTR 1994 souvenir Plate.

This is Rollag’s 41st show and our feature this year is John Deere Machinery. We are showing Deere’s firs successful plow, made in his blacksmith shop in Grand Detour, Illinois in 1837. Up until this time, plows were made of wood or cast iron. The heavy clay soils would build up on these plows and require frequent cleaning. Mr. Deere fashioned his first plow from a steel saw blade reshaped and tempered in his forge. This type of steel becomes more polished with use and the soil does not stick to it. This self scouring plow became know as “the plow that broke the plains.” From this mumble beginning has emerged on of the largest farm equipment manufactures in the world. The old John Deere blacksmith shop at Grand Detour is now an Illinois State Park and welcomes visitors.

This is our 19th year making souvenir plates. A project which was started as a special undertaking for the Bicentennial year, 1976, showing the Liberty Bell. Each year a theme relating to our show is featured. All proceeds from the sale of plates after paying for materials are turned over to WMSTR and used for improvements to make a better show. Thanks for your support.

-The Steam Hammer Crew

More to come. Notice that 1992 was the last year that all the previous plates weren't listed. Some of the original formatting has been lost with the scanning and copy-paste done here. Most of these were printed on a 1/4 sheet of 8.5 X 11 paper.

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

M Kerkvliet and Ray Wangler like this.
  9. Jerry Christiansen

Hi all,

Wow, it has been a month since I last added some of the info sheets! That is one reason you never give a Norsky a 10 minute coffee break. They forget what they were doing and you have to retrain them.

Moving onto 1995

music comes ALlVE in '95

Not just in '95, but every year music comes alive at Rollag,
    in fact, you can't get away from it, there's music every-
    where you go, so maybe it's time we honor all the volun-
    teer live musicians, both past and present who do such a
    great job keeping our toes tapping, and all those behind the
    scene that help put on our great programs. Musical enter-
    tainment at WMSTER has become a legend, we have
    square dancers, merry-go-round band organ, live musi-
    cians and even steam whistles! There are two fine air-con-
    ditioned concert halls for your enjoyment, the latest bring
    your own seating, perfect acoustics and sound systems. If
    you are a musician, don't be bashful, bring your instrument,
    join in the fun, and you too can be part of the honored
    group!

'95 also marks the 20th year of forging plates on the steam
    hammer. The same as our live music, these plates are
    "home made" beginning with a square sheet of aluminum
    and ending with a round embossed souvenir plate. The real
    honored group should be the supporters of our plate project
    throughout the years, but how can you feature hundreds of
    people on only a 5" center insert? The proceeds from all
    these years of plate sales has been invested in making a
    better show, look around, you can be very proud of what
    you have helped us to accomplish, thank you and enjoy
    your visit!

- THE STEAM HAMMERED CREW

"GATHERING OF THE ORANGE"

This year our plate features the ALLIS CHALMERS
    DIAMOND LOGO. You will see the AC diamond on all
    the orange equipment on the expo hill.

For 21 years forging plates on the steam hammer
    has become a special attraction during the show.
    The "LABOR OF LOVE" you see here and at every
    turn on the grounds, comes from 43 years of gifts
    given by all the volunteers who make this show
    possible. Millions of dollars worth of time, talents and donations.

"REUNION" is the gift WESTERN MINNESOTA STEAM
    THRESHERS gives back to all our volunteers.
    Every year friendships renew, grow and blossom.

"THE GATHERING OF THE ORANGE"
    "THE GATHERING OF THE PEOPLE"

The Steam Hammer Crew.

The 1997 WMSTR Souvenir Plate features the
    Burlington Northern Steam Hammer. However, for
    the history of the steam hammer, please refer to a
    copy of "Memories of Bygone Years." This year's plate
    is dedicated to Ray and Anne Shoberg for their work
    producing and selling the WMSTR Souvenir Plate.

Each year since 1976, Ray has donated his time
    and skills as a professional tool and die maker to
    engrave a design for the plates. These designs have
    featured themes relating to our show. The designs for
    each year are listed below.

And each year, Anne has worked beside Ray
    (literally!) preparing and selling the plates. Many
    people enjoy buying their plates next to the Steam
    Hammer just to see Anne and Ray.

Many stories are told of Ray and Anne. Each
    person who purchased a plate signed their name in a
    wire bound theme book. When all the plates had been
    sold at the show, Anne and Ray would take orders and
    once home in Milwaukee, Ray would punch out the
    extra plates and Anne would mail them.

Please share with Ray and Anne any stories you
    remember about the plates and join us as we say
    "Thank you!" to the Shobergs for these past 22 years
    and for many years to come!

Thank you and enjoy your visit!

--The Steam Hammer Crew

197B-Liberty Bell, Philadelphia, PA
    1977-0ase Eagle Trademark
    1978-Pioneer Steam Threshing Scene
    1979-WMSTR Locomotive #353
    1980-Spinning Wheel
    1981-Avery Bulldog Trademark 1982-Bla.okemith
    1983-Rollag Print Shop Printing Press
    1984-Oldtime Fiddler
    1985-Merry-Go-Round
    198B-Statue of Liberty
    1987-Great Minneapolis Expo 1988-0tto Gas Engine Expo
    1989-Draft Horses
    1990-MiniatureLand
    1991-Pioneer Homerna.k1ng
    1992-J.I. Case Expo
    1993-Weloome Canadian Friends
    1994-John Deere Expo
    1995-Musio Comes Alive
    199B-Allie Chalmers Diamond Logo
    1997-Burlington Northern Steam Hammer

**** I-H EXPO 1998****

ROLLAG, MINNESOTA

Thank you for purchasing the 1998 I-H Expo souvenir plate. Our plate this year features the Reaper. The Reaper was a great improvement over the scythe. While many reapers were built, Cyrus Hass McCormick successfully demonstrated his reaper in July, 1831. Although crude, this reaper contained the basic principal that became standard on all machines.

Although McCormick demonstrated his reaper in 1831, he didn’t take out a patent until 1834 and no machines were sold to the public till 1840. Several reasons for this delay were that fields had to many hills, rocks and stumps for a mechanical reaper to be successful. Improvements were added and soon these machines would be used on practically all farms.

Between 1848 and 1850 about 4,000 reapers were sold. McCormick was credited with making the reaper a commercial success. He was also very instrumental in forming the International Harvester Co.

Thank you for joining in one of the largest gatherings of International Harvester Equipment ever. We hope you enjoy your plate as much as we enjoyed putting together this show. Your friends at the I-H Expo.

The Steam Hammer Crew

MASSEY EXTRAVAGANZA 1999

Daniel Massey opened his foundry in 1847 in Grafton, Ontario, Canada.
    Alanson Harris joined up with him a few years later and formed the
    Massey-Harris Co. Massey-Harris was a Canadian company which spread

its main manufacturing activities into the U.S.A., then to Europe and Australia
    and eventually down into South Africa. Harry Ferguson also established
    factories in the UK and the U.S.A. after joining Massey-Harris and became
    Massey-Ferguson.

The 1999 Massey Extravaganza feature of the Western Minnesota Steam
    Threshers Reunion has demonstrated the wonderful technological
    advancements that put the Massey tractors and implement high on the list of
    great farm machines! Thank you for supporting our agri-historical works as
    Massey-Harris and Massey-Ferguson were very much a large part of
    harvesting 'memories of bygone years' from farming communities across the
    throughout the world.

WESTERN MINNESOTA STEAM THRESHERS REUNION
    HONORS THE CENTURY- 1900 /2000ROLLAG, MINNESOTA

Western Minnesota Steam Threshers, Rollag, MN is proud to feature equipment 100 years and older
    during the 2000 Show. In honoring the century we remember inventors that turned their dreams into
    the machines that we marvel at today. Because of these people, America became an industrial giant
    and the farmer was able to turn the vast prairies into prairies of productive farm land.

Here at Rollag, we are dedicated to preserving and restoring the equipment of the past and invite
    you to see it operating as it did in bygone years. We have over 80 exhibits that were built over 100
    years ago.

The Steam Hammer that you see stamping out plates has a patent date of 1876. It was used for
    forging red hot iron into parts for the Burlington Northern Railroad in St. Paul, MN. When WMSTR
    obtained it, Ray Shoberg, a tool and die maker from Milwaukee, Wis, made a die to forge a collectable
    souvenir plate out of aluminum. WMSTR is a working, living museum and he felt the Steam Hammer
    needed to be a working exhibit. He has made the dies and supervised the plate and hammer crew for
    24 years. This is the 25th plate produced at Rollag and this year he turned the project over to other
    members of WMSTR to continue the tradition he started.

The engine on the plate is a 60HP Otto engine built in 1893. It is the only one known and can be seen
    operating in the Otto building on the Show grounds. Jim & Keven Withers have the largest collection
    of "Otto Gas Engines" in the world located here at WMSTR.

Nicolas Otto invented the four cycle engine in 1876 and became the father of the internal combus-
    tion engine. His inventions paved the way for the development of tractors, cars and other gasoline
    powered equipment we take for granted today.

WMSTR would like to Thank You for purchasing this plate and encourage you to stop and reflect on
    the past century in which these ingenious inventors developed their machines.

More Later,

Jerry Christiansen