1. We think we have tackled most of the issues that were causing problems with some area's of the Community Forum. Email should be working again so you should get notifications of subscribed threads, etc. We are working on getting an SSL certificate so the "Website Not Secure" message goes away. Please let us know of any other issues you notice so we can address them.
    Dismiss Notice

Locomotive injector sizes

Discussion in 'WMSTR Railroad General Discussions' started by 80pfd, Jan 1, 2008.

1. 80pfd

80pfd Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

As I will be getting back into the swing of things for the new year, I have to put together a presentation for our new company general manager.
    I will be trying to educate him on the preservation of history we do at Rollag. More importantly, I will be trying to establish a good working relationship to help the WMSTR.
    The thing which sometimes prevents me from separating work/pleasure is injectors.
    During the presentation, I will draw his attention to how the Penberthy injectors play a role in keeping our equipment operating.
    I NEED to know what size of injectors are used in the 353 and Porter locomotives. I would like to have that information before I do the presentation.
    I have an idea to try and get one injector donated to WMSTR for each locomotive, just in case ( Heaven forbid!) an injector stops working properly just before Steam School or the show, and it cannot be repaired on the grounds in time. Considering that a 3/4" injector can run into the $800 to $1,000 range, this type of donation will not be easy. I have show books and Steam School material, but any other type of documentation will be appreciated.
    Thank you for your time.
    Paul

2. 40avery

40avery Mega Poster Super Moderator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Paul,

It has been quite a few years since I have operated the 353 and I am guessing that they are 1 3/4" and 2 1/2" but I know who to call to verify it. I will get ahold of him and let you know.

Ken or Jerry or any of the other RR crew if you know for sure what the injectors are please reply to Paul.

Thanks.

Rick

3. 80pfd

80pfd Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Injector sizes

Just to give you an idea as to why good maintenance is important, and why it may be hard for me to get an injector donation from the company, I talked with the guy who has the list price, from the factory, on two sizes of injectors. I AM STILL GOING AFTER THE DONATION !!
    The 1 1/2" injector, model EE - 23, starts at $2,987.00
    The 2" injector, model FF - 23, starts at $3,986.00
    These are prices of the "stock" model which has suction on left and the delivery to the back. If a person gets the suction-front / delivery-back model, the prices increase by about $130.
    We do have the GG - 23 model (2 1/2") also.
    At this time, to the best of my knowledge, our company does not sell "direct-from-factory". A person has to go through a distributor. According to the distributor list, Simone Engineering, out of Minneapolis, is the closest to Rollag and Fargo, ND.
    Back when hurricane Katrina hit, our plant general manager was very interested in steam power and did what he could to get a couple of 3/8" injectors for the Ortner. Now, he has retired.
    Again, I ask; if there may be ANYTHING which may help me in my presentation for the new guy, call me - write me -- e-mail me -- paint me pictures -- whatever.
    Paul

4. Kenronsberg

Kenronsberg Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Injector

Paul,
    I think the firemans sid is 1 1/2" and the engineers side is a 2". Asher or Vern can confirm that but that's what I recall.
    Ken Ronsberg

5. vnanosky

vnanosky Mega Poster Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

353 Injectors

Ken that sounds right but I am not 100% sure.