Le Roi

If you google Peabody Coal you will find the song and you will find the largest front shovel in the world. when they were done with it they buried it, yes they did not dismantle it o_O

If you google Peabody Coal you will find the song and you will find the largest front shovel in the world. when they were done with it they buried it, yes they did not dismantle it o_O

Your next project Clayton!

Hey hey I was set up! Now the rest of the story! The lights went out and before I knew it Clayton was snapping a picture of the bottle he snuck in.

Finally was able to get the shaft removed from the pump body. It was totally rusted and I had to be careful not to brake any of the castings. You will see in some of the following pictures this pump has had a ruff life.20180101_105005.jpg

20180101_105606.jpg
In the center of the pump you will see two grooves that hold the suction venturi on both sides of the impeller. These were almost welded with rust. Had to be careful, pretty sure the local pump store does not carry these.

20180109_153052_1515538494513.jpg

Took advantage of the 30+ degrees and got some sandblasting done.

Below is some pictures of its ruff life.

20180109_161502.jpg

20180109_161605.jpg

20180109_161513.jpg

Thanks Clayton! Looks like there may have been some "hard water" issues at one point in it's life.

Well, will winter ever go away!! Finally got part of this project to go forward. After getting things blasted I have been getting things cleaned up for assembly.
This is the housing ready for assembly20180113_063037_resized.jpg

Getting the impeller shaft cleaned up and ready.

20180211_171904_resized_1.jpg

Here you will see the oil slinger that lubricates the Babbitt bearing when the shaft rotates. It brings oil up from a small reservoir on the bottom.

20180403_182009_resized_1.jpg

Everything seemed to be OK so I installed the top cover.
20180404_193107_resized_1.jpg

Also need some paint.

20180407_055944_resized_1.jpg

Hi Clayton,

The pump is looking good. Thanks for sharing the work in progress.

When the Thick and Thin Sawmill is running at full capacity, I am sure the steam engines use a lot of water.
Is the plan to install this engine and pump system near the pond to try to keep the water tank full?
Or, will this system be a supplement to keep the tank full so that the Thirst Quencher only needs to come a couple times a day?

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

This is a work in progress for a different kind of display, both for the Le-Roi and for steam engines. Cant elaborate at this point because everything is not all completely decided yet.

Hi Clayton,

Thanks for the update. Working on a day like today sure makes a person appreciate a heated shop!

Was aligning an 'eyeball' job? Or, did you need to get sophisticated equipment?

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

Well if all goes as planned we will have another display out at the show grounds this fall. This is just one more thing for the steam engines to belt up to and pull the engines on. . I dug in my parts department and found the pieces I need to build the jack shaft. You will see in this picture the shaft, pulley, bearing and the belt pulley that I will use to drive the pump.
jack shaft 4.jpg
Then it was to start mocking up for the mounting beams.

jack shaft1.jpg

I found some iron that was left over from the cat v12 project.
jack shaft 2.jpg

jack shaft3.jpg
This is what I ended up with due to there being a odd dimension with and old bearing and a new style bearing for the height. Should work with the hardest pull being on the big old bearing.
The end of the shaft that has the splines on it will eventually be cut off.
jackshaft5.jpg
I was able to acquire some 5 inch discharge pipe from LTP well drilling that they graciously donated to the show. Now I need to get started on making a floating suction bell so we will be sucking off the top few inches of the pond, this way we will not suck up any of the stuff at the bottom of the pond.
I will need to get the concrete base dug and poured that the pump will set on also.

Well if all goes as planned we will have another display out at the show grounds this fall. This is just one more thing for the steam engines to belt up to and pull the engines on. . I dug in my parts department and found the pieces I need to build the jack shaft. You will see in this picture the shaft, pulley, bearing and the belt pulley that I will use to drive the pump.
View attachment 3197
Then it was to start mocking up for the mounting beams.

View attachment 3199

I found some iron that was left over from the cat v12 project.
View attachment 3200

View attachment 3201
This is what I ended up with due to there being a odd dimension with and old bearing and a new style bearing for the height. Should work with the hardest pull being on the big old bearing.
The end of the shaft that has the splines on it will eventually be cut off.
View attachment 3202
I was able to acquire some 5 inch discharge pipe from LTP well drilling that they graciously donated to the show. Now I need to get started on making a floating suction bell so we will be sucking off the top few inches of the pond, this way we will not suck up any of the stuff at the bottom of the pond.
I will need to get the concrete base dug and poured that the pump will set on also.
I'm excited to try it I remember Jim talking about something like this or maybe it was this either way I'm on board!!
Any idea how much load it would put in the engine? Spark show over the water???

The Le-Roi is rated at 116 hp, and that is what ran this pump, so I think it will give a good load for most engines.

Forgive me if I missed it, but is there a nozzle so when belted we shoot for distance?

I have thought about this for years! Maybe even discussed with you Clayton... I cannot wait to see it work! Might need to figure out some low voltage lights to light up whatever you are going to do at the discharge!

Let me know if I can help with anything.

Back