Jane's New Brake AKA Blue Brake Two

Discussion in 'Prony Brake' started by Jerry Christiansen, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Jerry Christiansen

Jerry Christiansen Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

In December of 2008 Jim T. got snow bound in Casselton on a Friday evening. Jim, Peter K., Jane and I were debriefing the previous year’s Steam Shows. At previous meetings such as this we had discussed how to add additional cooling capacity on Jane’s Prony Brake AKA the Blue Brake. The brake wheel doesn’t have enough surface area to dissipate the heat when a large tractor is run for an extended period of time. One of the problems this lead to is that Jim missed some good Spark Shows. During the Spark Shows he was using a garden hose to spray water on the outside of the brake wheel and was watching sparks come off the brake instead of out of the steam engine.

At this meeting Jane and I were able to report that the cooling problem has been solved. A few days earlier we stopped at Larson Welding and there on the floor was a 36” diameter, 7’ wide belt pulley with rim about an inch thick. I tried to slip it in my pocket and sneak out with it, but Kenneth spotted me and didn’t let that happen. (That was the pulley that he and Jim acquired for Old Smoky.) After few conversations with Jim and my Financial Advisor, we were told that an identical wheel would be in our possession soon. The slightly larger diameter along with the wider face should provide enough cooling so that Jim can once again enjoy Spark Shows.

The Blue Brake was all ready in its Third Phase and now the details of Phase Four of the Blue Brake were being hammered out. Finally Jane asked, “How much of the Blue Brake will you be able to use?” The answer was, “The frame and the electronics.” Then she said, “It doesn’t sound like you have much left. Do you think you can sell the Blue Brake and just build a new one from scratch?” With all the confidence in the world I said, “Sure, we can sell the Blue Brake.” (More about that later) The discussion then changed from ‘rebuild’ to what will the next one look like.

Another friend, Don G. that does design and drafting with his computer, said he would help put something together. After a few discussions with Don and a couple trips to his house, we had plans for a new Brake. Don called up a steel supplier and a few days later all the pieces were ready to be picked up. Not only were all the pieces cut to length, all the angles were cut correctly! That certainly made assembly a lot easier.

The plan was to have the Brake ready for the 2009 Rollag show and maybe, if we got our act together, even for Steam School in June. Then, Peter died and a lot of plans got goofed up. Finally in June 2009 I got to work. Eric Mars drove out to Peter’s shop and we assembled the frame of Jane’s new Brake. After about a day of setting pieces together and welding, we had the frame complete. The Brake’s foot print is very similar to Jane’s first Brake. The new brake will fit in the back of a pickup or in Jane’s Red Trailer.

[​IMG]

The first picture is an indication why some projects take so long. Just about any time someone sees the overhead door of Peter’s shop open, they stop in to see what is going on. When one of Peter’s nephews showed up we had to stop, make some coffee and explain what we were up to. The next pictures show Eric and me setting up some pieces, Eric welding, and a nearly complete frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jim at Larson’s Welding made the shaft and machined the brake wheel. The machining included making the face of the wheel true, boring the hole in the center and cutting the key way. I drilled and tapped holes in the side of the brake wheel so that the large washers could be attached. The washers keep the brake blocks running true on the outside wheel and hold the cooling water on the inside of the wheel. After that, the brake wheel and shaft were set on a pallet next to the frame. That was about all that happened during the summer of 2009.

More to come,
    Jerry Christiansen

2. Lee

Lee Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Looks great. Jerry. Is that a rail dragster with a nailhead Buick in the last picture?

3. Ned

Ned Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

I had great time working with you on Janes brake can't wait to see the finished project :thumb:

Erik the ned

4. Jerry Christiansen

Lee,

You got it in one. I was wondering if anyone would notice the sling-shot dragster. Peter's son Tom is putting that togeter. Somewhere I have a short video clip of it running, the v8 with the short exhaust pipes is a very nice sound to us old hot-rodders.

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

5. Ned

Ned Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

I thought that I would add a few more nuggets of info if you look close in the second photo when Jerry and I are discussing the project at hand you can see the rear wheel of Frank Orr's 10 ton road roller which you can see completely assembled in other threads.
    And to the really trained eye the pulley/flywheel is a brand new cast Case flywheel I was almost beside myself when I heard what we were going to do to a Case part but Jerry kept telling me it would be ok :sad: it would be best for the brake if we shaved the crown off of it and drill a bunch of hole in the side for the big washers :eek: (I still have nightmares) but seriously I had a great time helping out can't wait for more pictures hint hint

Erik "ned" Mars :smilie_flagge13:

6. Jerry Christiansen

Hi Eric,

I got the hint about more pictures. A bit of progress has been made this winter. The tightening mechanism has been assembled and is welded in place.

[​IMG]

Now that the brake band is held in place, the torque arms can be put in place. Gerry P did some machining work on the torque arms for us, Thanks, Gerry.

The picture below shows the arms held in place with clamps ready to be welded on.

[​IMG]

The distance from the center of the axle to the center of the square tubing that will push down on the load cell needs to be 63 inches. The arms were clamped into place, adjusted to that length and spot welded. Now I need to get someone that can actually weld to come out and stick the pieces together.

A few brackets for cooling lines, the guide for the tubing that will push on the load cell, the speaker stand and some brackets for the landing gear need to be put in place. Then it all comes apart to be painted.

After painting and reassembly is complete, the electronics from the other Blue Brake will be cannibalized for this brake.

More to come.

Jerry Christiansen

ps: In case you are wondering, the stick through the spokes will be removed prior to operation. It is only there to hold the wheel in place during assembly. :)

7. Jerry Christiansen

The last post showed the torque arms in place with spot welds. Eric came out after work on 29th of April and did some more welding.

The picture below shows the guide for the pusher held in place with clamps. The pieces of steel on the horizontal tube, next to the pusher are the base for the load cell.

[​IMG]

Below is a shot from the opposite side after welding was done.

[​IMG]

If you look closely you can see the base for the load cell is welded in place. The battery will sit on the plate in the corner. The tall tubing with the screw sticking out is for the PA speakers. The angle irons welded on to the horizontal tube provide a place to mount the 'brain box' and the PA. The torque arms are welded together and the tabs on the brake band have been welded in place.

Below is a shot from the opposite side after welding was done.

[​IMG]
    The transport system (AKA Landing Gear) will attach to the pipe on the left. A matching pipe is welded on the bottom tube on the other side. The bracket on the right is where the chain that holds the Brake in place will be fastened

This shows the bracket for the cooling water to get into the Brake.

[​IMG]

The piping is not the final design; it is just to give an idea of how it will look. A small part of the brake tightening wheel can be seen on the right side of the picture.

The only welding left on the Brake is: three brackets that the sling will attach to and one more fitting for the Landing Gear. As soon as those pieces are welded on, the Brake comes apart and gets cleaned up for painting. After the painting done the Brake is reassembled, the electronics come off the old Brake, and we are in business.

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

8. Jerry Christiansen

Hi all,

Here we are, all most ready for another Steam Season (aka SUMMER!!). I looked at this thread and realized that I had not updated it in some time. You can check the dates of the posts yourself.

Some people may be thinking that the Blue Brake 2 got put on hold and hasn't been completed yet. Not true.

The Blue Brake 2 was not ready for Steam Up 2010 as hoped. It made it maiden trip to Rollag for Breakfast On the Farm 2010. Then we traveled to Wolford, ND for the show at the Hawk Museum. Then back to Rollag for Steam School. All that happened in June.

In July we took the Blue Brake 2 to the west coast. We attended the Great Oregon Steam Up in Brooks, OR.

In August the Brake was at the steam show in Itasca. Then back to Rollag for our show.

In September we took the Brake to New Rockford and finally to Edin's for their threshing day.

At the Wolford show my camera decided that the memory card I had been using was "unformatted" and I can't see any of the pictures I had taken. (If someone knows the magic words to get the pictures, let me know.) So after all these travels, I have two pictures of the Blue Brake 2.

This one was taken in Brooks, OR and doesn't show much of the Brake. The engine on the other end of the belt is the oldest engine I have tested.
    [​IMG]

The picture below was taken by Owen O. at the New Rockford show.

[​IMG]

The Brake works well and has been resting all winter. The next time out will be at Steam Up, April 9, 2011 at Larson Welding.

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

9. Mike Bennett

Mike Bennett Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Started digging through my pictures from last year and found a few I could add here. Jerry, I could try a few "magic words" on your memory card but something tells me you already tried those words.
    [​IMG]

Taken the night before Breakfast on the Farm. Next two are from the next day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. M Kerkvliet

M Kerkvliet WMSTR Past President Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Great pictures as usual Mike!

I got a lot of grief for having a belt touch the ground under load last year during the show! I know MY belt was tighter than this one... Let's see... who's engine is belted up in these pictures :Shrugs: :scratching: :rof:

11. dachtera

dachtera Videographer/Web Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Jerry,

Bring your card up to Steam Up if you haven't recovered the photos by then. I'll see if I can work any magic on it..

12. Mike Bennett

Mike Bennett Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

No doubt someone will claim that the engine in question has sooo much power, it was pulling the case closer! :rof:

13. Jerry Christiansen

Tim,

I used up all my magic words and had no success. I will bring the card to Steam Up. See you then!

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

14. Jerry Christiansen

Blue Brake Two goes green

Hi all,

As noted in the title, Blue Brake Two as gone green.

Before you John Deere and Oliver haters start complaining about ruining a perfectly good blue paint job; and before you John Deere and Oliver lovers start arguing over which color green the brake has been painted; please note I did NOT say anything about repainting the Brake!

Perhaps the picture below will explain.

[​IMG]

A solar panel has been added just below the speakers. Now we don't need to look for a battery charger to keep the 12 volt system ready to go.

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen