Federal Siren

m kerkvliet

WMSTR Past President
Administrator
WMSTR Lifetime Member
I thought there was a thread on these pages about the Federal Siren on the clock tower, but perhaps it is just a story in some past show book...

In any case, many have seen the yellow siren on the clock tower for many years. It was put up there the year it came down (in Harwood ND) but that is where the story ended for many years as I became involved in the board room and my time got used up in other areas for quite a few years.

Now, thanks to the help of the late Warren Oday, Vern Nanosky, Tom Hall, Kelly Muhl, Ryan Unterseher, Jon Roeder, Al Stolz, Jo Tamble, Craig Mattson and likely a few others, the project is 99.5% finished and it is operational!

I have permission from the BOD to sound a Noon and 6 PM whistle on Saturdays when I am there, (or someone else with access to the controls) for the next couple of weekends. I have done it a couple of times now and have had positive comments. No problem hearing it across the show grounds and probably a little further.

The whistle will be silent during the show so as not to startle our guests or any livestock there for the show (horsepower area).

If you happen to be there the next couple of Saturdays, enjoy the nostalgia!

Siren.jpg
This video was shot last summer. Don't get any crazy ideas about throwing that disconnect on the bottom of the tower... That has all changed! We had to make sure control was a little more secure than that! You now have to carry something like the "nuclear football" the president carries:cool:...! We don't need any false alarms! :tsk:

Hi Mark,

I have heard the siren, it sounds good. Are you letting it get up to full speed?

The siren reminds me of my childhood home. The siren blew at noon and six every day. The control was in my parents gas station. There was also a manual switch to blow the siren for fires. My parents phone number was the fire number for many years.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

We have let it reach it’s max before killing the power.

That very siren came from Harwood, about 150 yards from my house. For the first 4 or 5 years I lived here there was a noon whistle every day, and it was used for fires. Pagers took it’s place. Not sure why the noon whistle went away. It’s good to hear it again!

In any case, they were happy to donate it to WMSTR when I asked about it. Cass County Electric plucked it off the pole it sat on for me.

Back