Donut day 2011

louie

Mega Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
The first donut tasting / work weekend of 2011 will be held at Larson Welding on Saturday the the 8th of January. All donut tasters and fertilizer applicators are invited there are a few projects to work on also. The new water truck, Osgood boiler, crowd engine for Osgood shovel, Forklift to name a few. We should have a few people on hand who can demonstrate the fine art of holding a donut in one hand and working with the other hand some of them can even talk at the same time So if you would like to see how this is done Stop by and join us

Donuts

For the second time ever, I get will get to spend the day working as well, travel weather permitting! My strengths are coffee drinking, donut tasting and visiting. I have used (on occasion) a Crescent wrench as a hammer with great effectivness and thrown several at skunks with remarkable accuracy. If anyone can use these amazing skills on Saturday, speak up first and I'll be on your team!

Very much looking forward to it!

Ray

I'm very disappointed that I have a prior commitment on Sat. While I have used pliers, vise grips, and an occasional large screwdriver as a hammer, using a Crescent wrench would be a handy skill to learn ( I'm already really good at coffee drinking and visiting. ) Stay clear of anyone with a camera, Ray, whenever you try the donuts!

Louie,

I talked with Mr. Todahl earlier today(Friday) and he is planning on coming to the donut tasting tomorrow. He is having some difficulties communicating with his computer so he asked me to get some clarifications from you in regards to the manure spreading.

As you well remember at the 2009 annual meeting our idea of purchasing manure spreaders for the grounds was shot down. Because of that, we understand that mechanical manure spreaders will not be at Larson Welding on Saturday. While we are still upset about no mechanical spreaders, we won’t use that as a reason not to attend.

The big questions are: Do we need to bring our own manure to spread? Or, will some generous benefactor supply all the manure required and our presence is only needed to spread it?

Thanks,
Jerry Christiansen

Alright Jerry and Todd, enough out of you old scatologists.

I don't have any pictures, but what an incredibly fun time to spend the day on Rollag projects. Jim's hospitality is priceless, Jerry's a great cook, and 20 people get one heck of a lot of work done in a day!!! It was fun to be part of that. Thanks to everyone who helped.

Good steamin'

Ray

Jerry
I did not see your request unbtil after saturday it was my understanding that the manure was for dust control I checked with a supplier and was told that it was to cold on saturday to get a even applcation of the product unless we stored it inside over night and that would spoil the taste of the gourmet donuts :rof::rof:

donuttasting12-13-2010001-1.jpg

All b s aside Saturday was great a lot of work got done and a lot of fertilzer was applied this is a shot of the osgood boiler and water truck

donuttasting12-13-2010006-1.jpg

The only picture of a donut taster I was able to get Jim was explaining the fine art of eating a donut and talking at the same time did not get a shot of anyone eating talking and working at the same time but I have seen this done more than once

donuttasting12-13-2010010.jpg

The flues out of the osgood boiler all 98 of them I did not get any more pictures taken But it was a good day a lot of work to bring projects closer to to done The noon meal was consisted of scalloped potatoes and meatballs was delicous cooked by Jerry Many thanks for that and also to everyone who helped and to Jim and Lynette for the use of their shop

I did take some pictures, including a very special donut taster, but I will have to wait until I get home and have a few minutes to get them posted to this thread. Keep watching it!

In the mean time... somebody asked me what the heck Ray was talking about here...

Ray Wangler said:
Alright Jerry and Todd, enough out of you old scatologists.

The internet is indeed a wonderful tool! I was able to look up the definition in just a few seconds, and it seems Ray chose his words carefully! It fits!

sca·tol·o·gy (sk-tl-j, sk-)
n. pl. sca·tol·o·gies
1. The study of fecal excrement, as in medicine, paleontology, or biology.
a. An obsession with excrement or excretory functions.
b. The psychiatric study of such an obsession.
3. Obscene language or literature, especially that dealing pruriently or humorously with excrement and excretory functions.
scato·logi·cal (sktl-j-kl), scato·logic (-k) adj.
sca·tolo·gist n.

I didn't get pictures of everyone and every project of the day, but I did get a good representation of what was going on.

First, work on he crowd engine for the big Osgood / Marion shovel continued. Work is also being done on the boiler. I will be sending more of these photos to Clayton and Jane for use in their thread on the rebuild, but it is only fair to include a couple here for the groups that were working on them.

In the first couple, Don B. works on measuring and machining the crankshaft for the crowd engine.

DSC08960.jpg

You can see some of the measurements Don took written on the journals.

DSC08977.jpg

Bob, Kade and Jace Mitchell were working on assembly of the crowd engine.

DSC08987.jpg

Pat Hill worked on cutting the flues loose on the smoke box end of the big shovel's boiler.

DSC08965.jpg

Ira Hill did the same on the firebox end.

DSC08972.jpg

I like this shot looking through the front of the boilers flue sheet. Ira is cutting another flue loose on the firebox end.

DSC08982.jpg

Elsewhere in he shop...

Ray Wangler and Jeff Knutson were working on a governor. I think this one was from the Roen 110 Case.

DSC08978.jpg

Bob Jostad and Jim Stewart were working disassembling the old "Dustbuster" water truck. Many of the parts are going on the new truck.

DSC08984.jpg

Katy Kerkvliet worked on gutting the cab of the old water truck. Gary M said it all had to come out to make it lighter in preparation for moving the cab over to the new chassis!

DSC08973.jpg

Crystal Aakre and Rachel Baked were busy washing up parts when I caught up with them. I didn't ask them what they were working on... What were you washing up Crystal?

DSC08975.jpg

And the HMAIC (Head Manure Applicator In Charge) Jim Todahl plying his trade... explaining how he helped save the day during some pre-show activity last summer! Jim did actually get a lot of work done elsewhere during the day, and even gave me a ride home at the end of the day!

DSC08989.jpg

Out in the "lean to" there work was progressing on the Pedersen 40 Avery. Our head chef Jerry Mandt, who also is making a lot of the gearing for the engine looks on.

DSC08996.jpg

The "Holy Grail" of Donut Day Pictures!

I saved the best for last!!!

It has taken years of careful planning and preparation. Many attempts have been made, but none yielded the desired results.... Until now!

↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓
↓↓↓↓

Here it is!

DSC08958.jpg

In case you didn't catch it...

LouieDonut.jpg

NO further explanation is needed! Even Wimpy knows the significance of this moment!

January 8th 2011... A date that will be marked in history!​

So why is the old cab going on the new chassis for the water truck?

Back