Detroit 353 Diesel Blower

vnanosky

Mega Poster
Administrator
WMSTR Lifetime Member
We are in need of a blower for this engine.

3 cylinder

Model 5034 7001 Serial 3D 0107????

Please email me if you have or know of anybody that has one.

Thanks

vnanosky

Mega Poster
Administrator
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Detroit 353 Diesel Blower

For the "Pink Pagoda" rail tie machine.

Tim Moen

Intermediate Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member

Vern, I'm working on a good running 353 complete. It was in a forklift and the guy couldn't stand the noise! He put in a Perkins. Close to getting it donated but no promises yet. (you know what they say about "close") Tim.

M Kerkvliet

WMSTR Past President
Administrator
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Tim Moen;762 said:
Vern, I'm working on a good running 353 complete. It was in a forklift and the guy couldn't stand the noise!
I can't hardly imagine that Tim! Why would anyone not like the noise of a 2-stroke screaming away on a fork lift! :biglaugh:

Seems an odd place for a Detroit engine.

I drove an old Chevrolet Titan 90 for the first 5 years I drove for the company I work for. It had a 318 (8V71) Detroit in front of a 13 speed transmission. I don't think my hearing has ever recovered. There is some nostalgia every time I hear one though... Last fall I stood (a long way away) and watched an old Terex earth mover (remember the lime green) working on a lot near our Sioux Falls warehouse. It had a 671 on each end. The guy had hearing protection (no cab). It was kinda cool hearing those engines sync up and SCREAM, but I am sure glad I don't have to sit on top of one anymore!

Tim Moen

Intermediate Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Ok, We have an engine donated. But, Vern , looking at the flywheel side- is the blower,intake and governer on the right? I seem to remember this is the case. Or in other words -on the "pegoda"- flywheel is on the left standing at the rear? It seems that a running engine is worth just as much as a "core". So I have a running "core" that we can have for the complete non-running "core".. We have to put togther the engine. Get the sleeve back into the block, head back on, E.T.C. Let me know at the earliest possible!!! Tim!!

vnanosky

Mega Poster
Administrator
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Detroit 353 on "Pink Pagoda"

Tim Moen;1101 said:
Ok, We have an engine donated. But, Vern , looking at the flywheel side- is the blower,intake and governer on the right? I seem to remember this is the case. Or in other words -on the "pegoda"- flywheel is on the left standing at the rear? It seems that a running engine is worth just as much as a "core". So I have a running "core" that we can have for the complete non-running "core".. We have to put togther the engine. Get the sleeve back into the block, head back on, E.T.C. Let me know at the earliest possible!!! Tim!!
Yes standing at rear of the machine the flywheel is on the left. Standing at back (flywheel end) blower is on the right. Sorry it has been a few years and I can not remember the position of the governor. I will be out there tonight and I will check.:woohoo1:

:bannana: Thanks Tim:bannana:

Tim Moen

Intermediate Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Vern, Thanks. My memory was right. Going to swing by the hill tonight as well. My camper had a little wind "body work". So, talking to the experts, it needs this new stuff called blue-tarp? Ha! Maybe see you there! Tim

M Kerkvliet

WMSTR Past President
Administrator
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Tim Moen;1101 said:
Ok, We have an engine donated.
Vern said:
:bannana: Thanks Tim:bannana:
Cool! I am not sure the forum made this happen, but it certainly helped the process! This is the best result of our efforts to this point...:thumb: