Camping at WMSTR

pmasley

Intermediate Poster
WMSTR Lifetime Member
I have several questions about camping at WMSTR during the show. In past years, I have camped in the Valley without services and I don't know if there is a Mayor for that area. Last year, with the overhaul of the campground permits, I put in a request for an "official" campground site. I have not heard anything back on my request, so I'm assuming I still don't have an assigned site. Do I still need to fill out the "Request for Renewal of Workers Campground Permit" form if I don't have an assigned spot and do I need to pay the $25.00 fee and enclose it with my worker registration slips? On the form it lists campgrounds I have never heard of e.g. Four Day Club. Where are all the campgrounds, what do they have for services in terms of the hours put in and how do I update my application for a campground spot?
Thanks for the help. I'm sure there are many members with these same questions. Peter & Pat Masley

I think I know where you are camped Peter, though I am not familiar with that name. I thought the sites down there were assigned. I cannot remember who the mayor is down there, but I know there is one.

I don't know the status of any other assigned sites, as the individual campground mayors take care of this. If you did fill something out, which campground was it for?

As far as the $25... everyone needs to pay that this year, when you register. The services available don't come into play... everyone owes the same.

Some of this may not seem fair, but unfortunately we cannot provide electricity and water for every site. Campgrounds have been going into spaces where never planned to be, and the cost of getting electricity and water to these areas is prohibitive. Maybe if we have a couple of good years, and get caught up a bit, we can eventually make some improvements to these areas.

Location and Questions

Hi Mark, Thanks for the quick reply. I camp in the valley down the hill from the OK Corral area. Often there is an area down there which is taped off and that may be "assigned", but the rest of the area is filled with people like me who camp down there but have never been assigned a spot. We camp down there because that's where we were told to camp when we didn't have an assigned spot and registered to work many years ago. I know of others who camp in the Visitor's area. I think for all these "unassigned" people, like me, will find the campground permit confusing because it doesn't seem to fit us. We can't check off a campground or have a mayor sign off. That's one of the reason's I raised the question. The conclusion that many of us had come to is that we only needed to apply for a campground if we wanted a spot in an "official" campground or wanted to try for services. Otherwise, we just kept camping where we had been for years. Perhaps this wasn't correct but nobody ever came by and told us this was wrong or what we should do. I think many of these people will think I don't have an assigned spot so it doesn't apply or I only camp in a tent, so it doesn't apply to me.
Camping, while working, at other times of the year is never a problem. Last year, with the campground reorganization, I thought I'd put in a request and I think I filled it out for Parsnips Corner (Which is pretty close to where I camp now) but I assume it's full as I have not heard anything. My questions still remain, for myself and others - How/what form to you submit to request a campsite? Do you need to resubmit annually to keep your request current? How do you know where some of these campgrounds are (eg.Four Day Club), who the mayors are and how to get a hold of them. Trying to see them on the grounds is often difficult with everyone's primary concern of working in their respective areas. No one spends that much time at their trailer.
Thanks for the help. Peter

The adminnistration of the show needs to do a better job of getting camping spot assigned. There are so many cmagrounds, and mayors going different directions, that we (the board) defer to the mayors on who is on the waiting list, and who is next in line.

At the last meeting, we approved one new site for a member in the Water Wheel camp, and approved moves in two other campgrounds. All were brought to us by the mayors of the individual campgrounds.

Your best bet to get a camp site is to talk to the mayor of the individual campground you are interested in, and get on his or her list. Remind them from time to time that you are still looking.

I will try to get a complete list of the mayors and make it available via PM to those interested soon.

Mayors

When you post the list of Mayors, please also post phone numbers and/or email addresses. There should also be instructions and/or a form on the WMSTR Members only site. The current procedure works well if you grew up in WMSTR or have relatives or friends who can walk you through it, but it doesn't encourage new members to participate if they can't find information on what to do. It just makes it seem like you have to know someone.
Perhaps you could update the grounds map pdf that's on the WMSTR site with the location of all the campgrounds. That would also help.
Thanks for the help Mark. This forum is a big step forward in getting and sharing information.

Peter Masley

Good news for some of you!

There was a mistake in the newsletter. At our board meeting on Friday night it came up that the $25 charge for ALL campers was incorrect. While this was talked about at the general membership meeting last fall, and at several meetings over the winter and spring, we could find no reference to such a decision in any meeting minutes. The only official decision was for the $25 charge for campers left on the ground over 30 days.

The Board of Directors sincerely apologizes for this mix up. There will be a postcard sent out to correct the information. In the mean time, please spread the word that you will only be charged $25 if your camper is on the grounds over 30 days.

Thanks!

I have a camping sight in steam hollow and was wondering if I could leave a camper there year round or in the back corner out of the way i think I meet the requirements I don't know how to get a hold of the camp ground mayor or others to ask for approval my phone number is 605 941-0501

Thank you for the information I clicked on that to look it up it comes up as an error and says I do not have permission to view this page

That page is in the "Members Only" section of the Forum. Anyone, member of WMSTR or not, can be a member of the Forum. Members of WMSTR can contact a moderator and ask them to verify their membership to get permission to see the "Members Only" section. Send a PM to vnanosky.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

I looked you up and set you up with your shiny new "WMSTR Lifetime Member" badge Mark. You will now be able to see the "Members Only" forum and get to the contact information you need.

I may be mistaken... Jerry would know more, but I THINK that campground was originally set up to be a campground that gets vacated every year so it doesn't end up looking like all the other campgrounds on the show grounds, like an RV junkyard! :hide: That may have changed though. Best to talk to Knute.

I looked you up and set you up with your shiny new "WMSTR Lifetime Member" badge Mark. You will now be able to see the "Members Only" forum and get to the contact information you need.

I may be mistaken... Jerry would know more, but I THINK that campground was originally set up to be a campground that gets vacated every year so it doesn't end up looking like all the other campgrounds on the show grounds, like an RV junkyard! :hide: That may have changed though. Best to talk to Knute.
I believe you are correct Mark that all callers leave at the end of the season.

Back