Amos Rixman

Discussion in 'Prony Brake' started by Brian K. Nelson, May 7, 2011.

1. Brian K. Nelson

Brian K. Nelson Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

2. 40avery

40avery Mega Poster Super Moderator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Amos was a real showman. I can remember sitting on the Avery and watching the people filter out of the trees and come down the hill as soon as he started to talk on the PA system. Very soon there was always a crowd around him as he explained what was going on at the prony brake.

He is missed.

3. Jerry Christiansen

Jerry Christiansen Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Brian,

Thank you for finding and posting this clip. What a pleasure to here Amos talking and explaining!

This thread get a 'two thumbs up' from me.

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

4. Brian K. Nelson

Brian K. Nelson Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

5. dachtera

dachtera Videographer/Web Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

We got a little more info on Amos this weekend actually, and some photos of the brake down there. I'm thinking Eileen will post those once we've got a full head of steam again.

6. Myrtle

Myrtle WMSTR Lifetime Members WMSTR Lifetime Member

Yes, I have some photos of their Prony brake. Amos also rebuilt tractors I guess. He redid one of Rick Mayberry's John Deere D's. I'm not sure if it was the motor or the whole tractor though. Next time I talk to Rick I will ask him. I will post photos hopefully later tonight.

7. Myrtle

Here are some photos of the Prony Brake in Pawnee OK.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. 40avery

Uh OOHHH! I see a budget request from the mienure crew for a roof on the way!!:hide:

9. Jim Todahl

Jim Todahl Junior Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

prony brake roof

did you look at how that roof was made; all used oil well pipe
    ; looks good

10. Myrtle

We should have gotten photos of their coal bunker, it was made out of used train track and some tin, Gary and Jeff would like build one like it at WMSTR...

11. 40avery

How much of Asher's track would they have to pull up to build it??:scratching:

12. Myrtle

Ha! There must be some old track laying around that we could use! It was a very nice bunker, it was slanted so the rain would run out (the floor was made out of the track), plus on the one end you could use a bobcat to get coal out of it, the other end you could back up the steam engines to and shovel on your coal without having to step down too far.