353 birthday?

Discussion in 'Engine 353' started by Ned, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Ned

Ned Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

I was wondering if there was any plans to celebrate the 100th birthday of 353 this year?

karl stange, Lee and Seth Hanson like this.
  2. karl stange

karl stange Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

3. Darren Gunderson

Darren Gunderson 20 Minneapolis #8702 Crew WMSTR Lifetime Member

Good, I am glad that there is someone looking at that. There should be some kind of recognition of its centennial.

karl stange likes this.
  4. Sid Fossan

Sid Fossan WMSTR Lifetime Members WMSTR Lifetime Member

Maybe this could be #1 on the agenda for the spring meeting? Just a thought.

Spring meeting again in April? Or would March be better. Seemed to work pretty good last year. Sid

5. karl stange

Sid, Yes, I feel it should be discussed also.
    With all the snow... sometime in May might be more reasonable, since most spring meetings are held at the Mercantile on the grounds.
    I'm not really sure what will be decided for a date or where of the spring meeting.

6. Sid Fossan

Hi Karl.
    Last year we had the spring work meeting on April 6th at the Hawley Church where we have our annual meeting. This year I have been informed the Steam Up is on April 4th at Larson Welding. I know if we get to late in April it is more difficult to get everything scheduled. It isn't up to me, but I thought the meeting in Hawley, early in April was a good time and place.
    I imagine the board has already looked into it however, and will be letting us know.

Regardless I will be seeing you at the Spring Work Meeting. I am looking forward to getting started on the many projects that are available for our members to volunteer and contribute. Later, Sid

craig mattson likes this.
  7. Jerry Christiansen

Jerry Christiansen Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Hi everyone,

We are pretty well de-railing this thread about the 353 with talk about a spring meeting, so let's keep the de-rail going.

Sid, I think you are right. If we are going to have a spring meeting, it has to be before we can get on the grounds. Early April is a good time. It won't work well this year because of Steam Up and Easter. Late March could work.

Later,
    Jerry Chistiansen

8. Sid Fossan

Hi all.

Thanks Jerry. To get back onto the thread, my initial response was to have the 353's 100 year birthday discussed at the spring work meeting. I still believe that would be important. Late March sounds great, as most of April will be consumed by Steam up and Easter. If we get into late April, we loose a month.

Thank you again Ned for bringing up the 100th birthday. I do believe that it is worth our attention and is a cause for great celebration.

Sid

9. Ned

For what it's worth. If one is to look in the Steam Traction forum in my thread titled Original Steamer photos. The second page shows a picture of 353 working in the Duluth yard

crystalaakre likes this.
  10. Jerry Christiansen

Jerry Christiansen Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Hi all,

The thread Ned mentioned can be found here.

The picture of the 353 is on the second page.
    If you haven't looked at that thread for awhile, it is worth looking at again.

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

11. Ned

Thanks Jerry

12. Sid Fossan

Ned, great picture of the 353 in Duluth.

You are a wealth of information. Thanks for sharing. Those old photos sure bring back memories.

Sid

Ned likes this.
  13. karl stange

Hi guys,
    I have downloaded found photos of the 353 over the years. May as well put them here.

62612086_10205797600377323_7866596695591616512_o.jpg
    353 working photo.

59871_155510187804375_1368505_n.jpg

353 "sleeping" waiting for the members of WMSTR to come to the rescue. What a huge undertaking to bring it back to life. Stanley Ellingson was one of the main driving forces behind this along with many others to get the engine to the grounds and restored.

38536367_10212611811033782_8884347723898159104_o.jpg

Another photo of the 353 working.

Hope you enjoyed these of the 353.
    Bye for now, Karl

crystalaakre likes this.
  14. Sid Fossan

Great photos Karl.

She did look forlorn when she was sleeping didn't she. Much, much better now.

Sid

15. karl stange

Hi guys,
    Here are screenshots from fb conversation about the 353.

20200318_082630.jpg

20200318_082607.jpg

At the bottom of this "page" (below) is the most recent response on 3-17-2020.
    20200318_082545.jpg

Now you know what everyone is talking about the 353 on that other social media site. Ha ha ha.
    Just wanting everyone to keep everyone up to date and in the loop.
    Have a good day, guys. Karl.

16. Sid Fossan

Thanks Karl. You guys are coming up with great ideas. How about sweat shirts and tee shirts. I like a nice sweat shirt.
    What ever you guys decide, I will buy at least one. And please don't forget the XX and XXX sizes, just saying. :D
    Sid

17. Sid Fossan

Karl, "The true test of another man's intelligence is how much he agrees with you".
    Like so many smart men, we have really smart wives. Keep up the good work. Splendid research and excellent ideas all.
    Sid