2016 upgrades

Discussion in 'Larson Sawmill' started by cjmlarson, May 1, 2016.

1. cjmlarson

cjmlarson Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

The board approved a budget request for the mill so I could get the lumber stackers out of the elements. I got a good start on this the past weekend.
    IMG_20160430_162927256.jpg

I got the post in and then it was to get the retaining wall started.

IMG_20160501_131937390.jpg

The next step is to put the rafters up and then the tin. This is to get the lumber stackers out of the elements.

2. M Kerkvliet

M Kerkvliet WMSTR Past President Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

Looking great Clayton! Happy stackers, more production! :bannana:

3. Pete Mandt

Pete Mandt WMSTR President WMSTR Lifetime Member

Clayton,
    The WMSTR Board appreciates that it appears you are using good, straight lumber from somewhere other than your sawmill for this addition. We really did not want to spend money paying for an addition using any lumber that you put out.:aetsch:

Looks good!

Thanks,
    Pete

craig mattson and mrnewway like this.
  4. cjmlarson

I am not done yet.(just saying)

5. Ned

Ned Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Looks good Clayton!
    Just a couple questions for you what type of wood is that? which way is the grain going? did you use screws or nails? coated not coated? what length nails? how do they compare to modern nails? :rof:

6. M Kerkvliet

M Kerkvliet WMSTR Past President Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

I suppose that exhibit is too modern for wooden pegs, or square nails?

In that case... Torx drive all the way!

7. cjmlarson

You are so funny Ned :rolleyes:, I have started to use glue, there is no need for any tools that way.

mrnewway likes this.
  8. cjmlarson

Went out and got some more done so the crew I lined up would be able to get right at it. IMG_20160506_171115868 (1).jpg

Jane came out and helped me put four of the rafters up on Friday evening. It was so windy I almost called it quits, I wouldn't quit though cause I wanted to be ready for Saturday.

IMG_20160507_145238190.jpg
    We had the rafters up by mid morning and then moved on to the perlins, and some braces.

Forgot to show how things are at Earls Mill, you walk in and there the store has your order ready to pic up. Even though there was no one around.
    IMG_20160506_141621763.jpg

IMG_20160508_084521960_HDR.jpg
    It was too windy on Saturday afternoon with the few that could stay. So we quit early for the day and went home. Don't you know, when we got home the wind went down. So the roofing crew went out early on Sunday and put the tin on. That crew consisted of Jane and myself. We had it on by 10:00 AM.

IMG_20160508_111027291.jpg
    That's enough for this weekend. I took my bride to the DQ and we were home by noon.
    I forgot to mention the crew consisted of Brother Craig, Brian Hruby, Adam Meyer, SD Jon and Gayle, Jane and myself.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    jswithers, M Kerkvliet and mrnewway like this.
  9. Jerry Christiansen

Jerry Christiansen Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Hi Clayton,

That is a good looking roof! I am glad you had a good crew, that always makes the project go better.

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

10. Greg Thesing

Greg Thesing Junior Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Looks good. Wish we could get out there more than we do.

11. craig mattson

craig mattson Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Saw the addition this past weekend when I was out there. Looks good Clayton!