16HP Russell Restoration - Assembly

M Kerkvliet;5899 said:
Did you ever figure out what to do with the linkage to keep the friction off of the release bearing when you are under way?

Yes Mark we know what caused the failure but will not know exactly the proper fix until we get everything put back together.Then we will have everything with good clearances and will be able to rework the adjusting links to get it to over center better.it looks like they have been broke and possibly not been repaired correctly,meaning their dimensions are not exact.

Machining Babbitt

Following pictures show machining the clutch hub babbitt to fit the crankshaft.

100_2267-2.jpg

Here I'm in the process of centering the clutch hub in the lathe chuck. I had to use Jim's big lathe, since this hub was an 1/8" too big in diameter, to make the swing in the smaller lathe. The jaws in this chuck only went down to 8 inches, and the hub was 7 3/4". So you'll see the metal spacers I had to put inbetween the jaws and the hub.

100_2272-2.jpg

Here's the boring bar with the cutting bit that I used. This bearing bore was 10" deep.

100_2268-2.jpg

Just a picture showing the start of machining.

100_2270-2.jpg

Here's the boring bar buried all the way in to the end of the babbitt bearing. When I was done, I cut oiling grooves into the bearing. The grooves are where the oil travels in the bearing to lubricate it on the crankshaft.

Back