Ortner Roundhouse and Turntable Project Progress

Discussion in 'Ortner Railroad' started by dclong, May 25, 2015.

1. dclong

dclong Ortner Engineer Moderator WMSTR Lifetime Member

As many may already know, the Ortner Railroad was granted funding and approval to add a roundhouse and turntable, switching off of the existing track. The location is between the back of the log house and the pabst/soo building. We plan on 3 phases: excavation and concrete, building and then track and turntable work. This year we received funding for the excavation and concrete.

This holiday weekend we were able to make some progress on the project. Saturday Nick Olson and Kyle Weets dug a fantastic hole to bring the new roundhouse and turntable area down to grade. It was a long day, but went well-except for a small speed bump that will have to be fixed (sorry Tom, the soo people and the pabst people for the lack of power).

Many thanks to Kyle and Nick for the generous help and assistance with the digging! It turned out FANTASTIC!

Here are some photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On Sunday, Mike Henricks, Merlyn Meyers, Dan and I tackled our first try at forming for the foundation. We aren't finished as we got rained out today, but we'll be back next weekend to continue the progress.

Many thanks to Mike for his assistance and Merlyn for teaching us and being such a huge help with planning and forming!

Here are some pictures of that progress:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, I'd like to try to get a time lapse video of the whole process from start to finish. So here it is, so far. It's not perfect, but I think it sums up the progress pretty well.
    http://vid171.photobucket.com/albums/u304/dndlong/OrtnerProject - Excavation Phase.mp4

Stay tuned. I will try to keep this forum up to date on the progress. Thanks!

Nick Olson and M Kerkvliet like this.
  2. M Kerkvliet

M Kerkvliet WMSTR Past President Administrator WMSTR Lifetime Member

WAY cool Dawn!

You folks are off to a terrific start! I expected no less!

Pay close attention to Merlyn and you will have perfect results! One note... you have gotten him as close to anything concrete as you ever will :)....

Thanks you, thank you to Kyle Weets for bringing in the heavy equipment and the expertise to get this project to this stage! It helps to have the right person with the right machinery to make things move fast and have it done correctly!

Not the first "speed bump" ever "hit" on a WMSTR project! Unfortunately it's almost expected! Tom and I discussed and have a plan in place to fix it, and be able to take care of your eventual needs at the same time. As far as the Pabst crew... Some say they have been "in the dark" for some time now! :hide:

Question... What did you use for a camera? GoPro maybe? How often did you have the time lapse taken? I love the video! :congrats::congrats::congrats:

3. dclong

My first shot at a GoPro. I just bought the low end one so one option for time lapse... 1 shot every half second. As you can imagine it produced many many photos and filled up many cards. I created the video from one shot every minute by picking 1 shot every minute instead of using all 120. We are just stoked at the progress!

4. M Kerkvliet

That's great, and helps keep the project moving forward!

5. Jerry Christiansen

Jerry Christiansen Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Good work Ortner Crew! Thanks for the info on the process.

The fifth picture has an interesting optical illusion. When I first saw it I thought the bridge and track has sagged. A wide angle lens will do that.

Mark, what's the deal with this, " Some say they have been "in the dark" for some time now! :hide:" ?????
    We just have to remember what Clayton's father said, "Remember, if someone is picking on you they are probably leaving a nice person alone."

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

s.d. jon, Ray Wangler and mrnewway like this.
  6. M Kerkvliet

:Shrugs::)...:)...:)...

7. dclong

We did some more work with the forms today. It went really well. Peter and Pat Masley are back and they helped us get the rebar installed and looks pretty good. Phil has graciously agreed to help us on pour day with his cement race car. We have a few things to finish up Friday morning but should be ready for the pour on Friday the 19th. This picture probably doesn't look much different, but I wanted to keep up to date on the progress. Special shout out to Kerry and Howie Briss! I know they wanted to be there today!!

[​IMG]

M Kerkvliet likes this.
  8. dclong

9. pmasley

pmasley Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Keep the time elapse photos coming. Great way to see progress on the Roundhouse. Thanks Dawn.

10. M Kerkvliet

Lots of people moving really fast! Things are looking great!

Are you going to get the wall forms up soon? Walls before show time?