New Addition to the Show

Something tells me Jim is going to need to add on to Larson for this project! I'm looking forward to seeing this in person!

Picture Update

I got an email from Harvey with the names of the crew in Kentucky that dismantled the Osgood Shovel. I am reposting the picture with the names.

Thanks Harvey!

87F4B24A-D677-4EB8-9369-8CDBC168C11B.jpg

Left to Right: Harvey Pelley*#, Tim Millay, Cemex's Quarry Mgr and provider of the heavy equip. and operators, Bill Rudicill*#, Capt. David Lancaster*#, John Pelley*#, Jimmy-Joe Rudicill*#, Jake Pelley*#, Jim Rudicill*#, Scott Martin*#.

Missing from picture: Tom Neumann#, BJ Vaskie# and Chris (Spanky) Murray.

Photo by Susan Schuffet#, a teamster on the Main Street Trolley.

* Denotes regular players in WMSTR's Sand-Box
# Denotes WMSTR member

Thanks for doing it again, Clayton. A while back I watched a Russell project unfold in pictures on the forum, and then was anxious to see it on the grounds. A couple of years ago, I watched a new sawmill come to life in pictures on the forum, and then walked up to the sawmill at the Hill; watched a 22 HP return flue Mpls get rebuilt on the forum and was awed when Jeff Knutson let me operate it on the grounds. I can't wait to see this on the grounds. My job often has me at work when the donuts days are happening, much to my disappointment, but it sure is fun to look at the pictures.

Crowd Engine

I was not at this work weekend, but here are a few pictures of the guys taking apart the crowd engine. You will notice red & green paint. Red signifying left and green signifying right, just like navigation lights. This coming from the Kentucky boys, who spend alot of time working on the river.

Picture_1141-2.jpg

Here the Michell boys and SD Jon are disassembling the crowd engine.

Picture_1139-2.jpg

Picture_1140-2.jpg

This looks like Jace, Kade & Bob.

Continued

DSC08962-2.jpg

Here you'll see SD Jon learning the correct process of cleaning the crowd engine block from Rachel and Crystal. :rof:

DSC08960-2.jpg

Don Brennan is putting the crowd engine crankshaft in the lathe.

DSC08977-2.jpg

Here Don is measuring all the journals and seeing if there is any repairs that need to be made to the crankshaft. You will notice his measurements are written on each journal.

Boiler

When the boiler first showed up at Jim's, we needed to clean out the firebox and smokebox end because we needed a boiler inspection right away. The following picture shows me using the needle scaler in the smokebox end, getting all the rust off the rivets and out from around the bottom of the front flue sheet. When I was done with that, I had brought my power washer along, so I washed the outside of the boiler off and tried to wash out the inside of the firebox. When I was done with that, Jim, Wimpy, Louie and myself, set the boiler on a 2-wheeled trailer of Wimpy's. That way it would be easy to roll it in and out of the shop in the winter months.

DSC08816.jpg

Flue Removal

DSC08965-2.jpg

Here Pat is cutting the flues off at the smokebox end.

DSC08972-2.jpg

Ira is cutting the flues off at the firebox end.

DSC08981-2.jpg

Here's a neat shot of the fire wrench at work, looking from the inside of the boiler.

DSC08994-2.jpg

Here the flues have been removed and some of the rolled over ends. Just need to finish removing the rest of the rolled over ends.

Don't have time right now, but some pictures of the progress in Kentucky will be posted soon.

Quandary

So those of us who worked at the Larson sawmill last fall have the chance of being assigned to either one of your major projects Clayton?
FRED

cjmlarson;8679 said:
I was not at this work weekend, but here are a few pictures of the guys taking apart the crowd engine. You will notice red & green paint. Red signifying left and green signifying right, just like navigation lights. This coming from the Kentucky boys, who spend alot of time working on the river.

Picture_1141-2.jpg

Here the Michell boys and SD Jon are disassembling the crowd engine.

Picture_1139-2.jpg

Picture_1140-2.jpg

This looks like Jace, Kade & Bob.

That guy is too bald to be Kade. It must be Cody...

CM :imnotlistening:

My Question is what is Kelly Muhl doing on the floor in the last photo? Eating a donut and hiding? Maybe looking for a spot to take a nap? Tieing his boot? Any other ideas?

I believe he had dropped a piece of his donut on the floor. He was trying to beat the 5 second rule. I think he got it picked up in time. :rof: But his hands were filthy.

Kentucky Photos

There is work being done south of us, in a much warmer climate (it just isn't fair!). I received a couple photos from Harvey that I will share with you.

100_2788-2.jpg

If you remember from the previous pictures, during disassembly the boom had caught fire from using the fire wrench. This is what the center of the boom looks like with all the burnt wood dug out. They still have some wood to remove from the inside of the left and right sections.

100_2798-2.jpg

Here John is starting with some of the reconstruction of the boom. Harvey says work is going well, but like any project this size, there is alot of work to do.

I want all of you to know, this is not Clayton's thread. This is a WMSTR thread on the restoration of this shovel. So if you have any photos of this project, please feel free to post them with a description of what was being done.

I hope to see alot of you at our next work weekend. So far, this project has been progressing very well.

I'm sorry to say, but work has been very slow on the shovel, here in Kentucky. I know by you all, we haven't had much snow, but Kentucky boys aren't used to below 0 wind chill and 30+ inches of snow. I know. our blood is thin. Harvey

Crowd Engine

This past Saturday was a work weekend at Larson Welding and we had thawing temperatures and a very good turnout of people to work on all of the projects. The following pictures will show the great progress that has been made on the shovel's crowd engine. The Mitchel's have headed up this project since the start and have done a fine job of getting it done this winter. This weekend I saw the Mitchel's, along with S.D. Jon and Rachael B, putting the finishing touches on the engine.

100_3092-2.jpg

Here the connecting rods and eccentric rods are being connected to the crankshaft.

100_3101-2.jpg

More crankshaft assembly being done.

100_3100-2.jpg

Putting packing material in all the packing glands and making sure all moving parts have oil holes or grease fittings in them. This engine will have a better oiling/grease system than it did originally, when the Mitchels are done. This is due to the fact that they found a couple moving joints that never had lubricating fittings on them from original.

This engine, when completed, was hooked up to an air source and ran. Runs like a sewing machine. Great job crowd engine crew! :congrats:

Has a color been selected to paint the engine? I will recheck the boom and dipper stick this week to see if I can find an original paint color on them. A contrasting color might be a neat touch. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Harvey

pelleyh;8764 said:
I'm sorry to say, but work has been very slow on the shovel, here in Kentucky. I know by you all, we haven't had much snow, but Kentucky boys aren't used to below 0 wind chill and 30+ inches of snow. I know. our blood is thin. Harvey

Harvey,

You should talk to Louie and have him deliver donuts. Maybe that will get the crew to come out and work.

Later,
Jerry Christiansen

It was great to see that engine run again for the first time in 56 years! All involved deserve a great big pat on the back!

Boiler Flues

There has been extensive discussion on what was going to be done with reflueing this giant! This was due to the odd size of the flues and availability. After many phone calls and research it was decided to special order the original flues that will be 2 1/4 inch by 12 gauge. These special ordered flues have obviously increased the cost considerably of reflueing this boiler. We will also be putting in new ferrels in the rear tube sheet at that same time. The flues will take possibly two months to receive so this process will be delayed for awhile.

When we are done refurbishing this boiler, it should be good for many generations before it will need flues again.:thumb:

Boiler Tubes

Just got the word that the boiler tubes have been ordered!!!!!!!!

Wolverine Boiler Tubes helped WMSTR with getting this taken care of.
They were most helpfull and also gave us a discout on this purchase.
I was also told they were very pleasant to work with There has been many people working on this part of the rebuild portion of the shovel and it has been a very time consuming job.

Thanks to these people and to Wolverine Boiler Tubes for getting this taken care of.

PS I'am not mentioning any names because I will forget someone.

WMSTR wants to thank all involved for keeping this project moving forward.

Car body

I received word from Harvey that the last of the shovel was transported from Battletown back to Bill R's place. For those of you that are not sure what the car body is, it is the frame that the shovel sits on and that the axles and wheels get bolted to.

This is a very large piece and is overwidth and is very long and heavy. So I'm sure this was a challenge for them to move. Nothing is impossible for the Kentucky boys! :not_worthy: It is one more piece that is to be worked on by the Kentucky crew.

Back