Leo Huston

40avery

Mega Poster
Super Moderator
WMSTR Lifetime Member
It did not take me long to realize who the top operators on the 353 were. The ones that really had some things that I wanted to learn. One team that operated pretty much without flaw was Leo Huston and his son in law Gene Swanz. Gene had learned from Leo and could fire the engine as easily as wearing his gloves. As I spent time in the cab with them I picked up on a lot. They did not communicate much because each knew exactly how the other was operating and knew just by how the engine was performing how each other was doing. (I did not have an appreciation of this until I fired a couple of rounds for Leo.)

I learned from Leo in a totally different way than from others of the experienced engineer ranks.

When I first learned to start the engine from a cold boiler I was taught to get the electric blower started and get the fire roaring and then get the steam blower going as soon as possible. This system worked but it could create some real problems if you were not very careful.

One morning I was invited to join Leo in a start up. I arrived at 5:00 AM to Leo already with a stack of wood in the cab and ready to start putting it into the firebox. I asked about the blower and was told that it would probably not be necessary to do anything with that.

All of Leo’s efforts that morning were deliberate and all very purposeful. As the wood fire grew Leo would do a little of the oiling and then come back to the cab and sit and talk. Wow, the stories I heard of the days of real steam railroading. I wish I could have recorded them because I do not remember 10% of them now. I do remember a few of the most notable ones.

As the wood fire caught Leo kept feeding it with the giant cobs of wood a few at a time and then do a little more of the checks and lubes. Then he drew my attention to the fact that we were starting to make steam. “ See she’s singing to you now”, Leo said, “time to start giving her a little coal.” No electric blower, no steam blower, and in the end he had the engine ready to run at or near the time it would have been going if we had. Now however the fire was totally under control and ready for the first run.

Some time later I got to fire for Leo. I was SO nervous! I fired a round and then asked Leo to look over the fire for me and let me know how I was doing. His reply, “well I don’t have to look. I can see the pressure and I can see your water gauge – you’re doing fine.” I just about fell over but then it hit me that that is what I had seen Gene and Leo doing on that earlier ride.

Later that show, I was riding the caboose from the Hickson up to the locomotive building on Main Street. I was sitting on the front platform and I was watching the coupler knuckles. They floated apart and they floated together. They never banged together – EVER. When we came to a stop they stretched out and stayed that way. I told myself that this is how I wanted to learn to operate.

I asked Leo about it and he said, “ well that’s train handling and if you come up in the cab tomorrow I will try and show you a little about it.” That he did and that is how I started to operate.

To me Leo’s best statement about our show was at the end of our first show video “Steamers”?

Leo said, “ It preserves heritage. A people who do not know who their ancestors are, how they lived and that - certainly have no real ties to their country.
They don’t know where they come from and they don’t know where they are going”

I would say that Leo is a Gentleman engineer with more knowledge of steam and steam train operations than just about anyone else I have met. I am so blessed to have been mentored by him.

Thank you Leo!

I've heard a lot of Leo stories over the last 5 years, but some of this I have not heard yet. Great post Rick, and keep the stories coming as you recall them!

Great memories! That is what it is about!!! Thanks Rick for sharing with all of us.

Leo

Rick,
I only had the privelage to work with Leo on one occasion, but one that I'll always remember. Much like Otis , Leo was a great teacher with a lot of tricks.
We ran an extra shift on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon due to the crowd size. I got to run with Leo. Leo ran a round and then got up, and I was to run my round.
Talk about nervous! Running the engine in front of the master. Leo, always smooth as glass either starting or stopping and like you said never letting the train catch up with him or jerking it. I was sure that I'd stop about 15 feet short or let the train catch me at the eat shack. I was very fortunate neither happpened!
As I got up after my round Leo complimented me on my train handeling skills. I don't think he'll ever realize how much his comment meant. Like you I about fell over. Small comments from such a fine engineer meant a great deal to me.
I wish I had more chances to run with gentelmen like Leo and Otis, not that I wasn't paying attention before, but I'm sure I'd ask all more questions than they would ever want to hear.
P. S.
Remember Otis' cheater stick?
Ken Ronsberg

You bet I do remember the stick. Shaped hastily in the shape of a .308 cartridge. It should still be used.:)

Chater

I've meant to reply to this for some time but kept forgetting, that happens alot.
We do have a cheater stick hanging on a string on the engine brake stand. Since Tennesee started working on the brakes we don't need it much aymore, but sometimes the independant will still creep up on younow and then.
Our new version still never works as well as Otis' version. You mentioned hastily fashioned, many cheaters have been whittled since and none have worked as well as the hastily fahioned version that Otis kept in the top pocket of his bibs. Just one more thing that tells you about the older guys understanding of these engines
Ken

Back