1. Hello Guest! 2018 forms are now available in the Administration / Registration forum!

Last Chance this year

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by louie, Mar 5, 2018.

1. louie

louie Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

March is upon us that means the last circular pastry tasting event until this fall good thing because the donut bin started getting low and didn't want to have to use any of my seed stock we should be alright though also will be Last chance to get a beautiful 8x10 portrait of you and your favourite pastry while dazzling everyone with your vast knowledge of questionable information we have a few things to finish up hopefully if time can be found in between the beautiful sunshine lectures transmission for loader is done ready to go back together the hand holes for the merry go round boiler have been found they can .be out and boiler tested continue work on water truck change over make frame for water tank on trailer for new pressure washer and I saved the best for last Kelly of Casey Jo's catering fame will be cooking lunch again so if you find yourself with time on your ‚úč 's this Saturday stop by Larson Welding and lend a hand hope to see you there

mrnewway and Ray Wangler like this.
  2. Ray Wangler

Ray Wangler Intermediate Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

"if time can be found in between the beautiful sunshine lectures "!! Really? You must be getting extra sleep to come up with eloquence like that!! and of course, " dazzling everyone with your vast knowledge of questionable information"...................beautiful, just beautiful. Hoping to make it if the weather cooperates. I'm out of work, the trucks for the Ortner tender are done. Maybe Clayton will let me help him again? I wouldn't miss lunch.

mrnewway likes this.
  3. Jerry Christiansen

Jerry Christiansen Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Hi all,

The camera worked one more time and I got a few pictures of the last work weekend of this season. That means that next month is Steam Up!

The tender for the Ortner was finished last month. It was not back in the shop this month.

The boiler for the Merry Go Round was back in.
    IMG_4317.JPG
    It came in assembled as shown above. We had discussion last month if the new metal is called the smoke box or not.
    Here is a view from a slightly different angle. Some of the old metal can be seen in the picture below.

IMG_4318.JPG

Whatever the correct name is for the new metal, the crew took it back off.

IMG_4321.JPG
    Aidan is the young fellow shown, I believe he and his dad drove about 10 hours to get here.

IMG_4329.JPG
    We couldn't find the hand hole plates last month. I don't know who found the plate or where they were, but they got installed along with all the necessary plugs.

IMG_4334.JPG
    It is a good thing Aidan showed up. He is the only one with small enough hands to reach in and start the fusible plug.

IMG_4337.JPG
    After filling the boiler with water, it was warmed up to a bit above room temperature before it was pressure tested.

Apparently the test went well, Charlie is smiling as he helps drain and prep the boiler for out side storage.
    IMG_4342.JPG

More pictures to come,

Jerry Christiansen

4. Jerry Christiansen

Hi all,
    Wow, it has almost been a week since posted the last pictures.

The pay loader was back in the shop this weekend. Clayton posted pictures of the repairs to the transmission in post #12 in last month's thread. You can see it here: http://www.wmstrcommunityforum.com/threads/men-working.2761/

The crew got pretty dirty taking the loader apart. Before it came back in the shop it got a bath.
    Here it is ready for work.
    IMG_4320.JPG
    Notice how clean the work area is.

The transmission came in the door via the hoist.
    IMG_4322.JPG
    It is squeaky clean, too.

Here it the reason for all the work.
    IMG_4323.JPG
    This is the new spline that Jane, Louie and Clayton installed.

Here is look at the old one.
    IMG_4325.JPG
    This is a hard piece to take a picture of. Notice the rust, the splines are worn enough that it would not drive the hydraulic pump.

I didn't get back to this area quick enough. The transmission is in, and the engine is going in. IMG_4336.JPG

The air compressor on this loader always had a hard time keeping up. The original equipment compressor is on the left in the picture below. The compressor from the old Thirst Quencher (TQ) is on the right.
    IMG_4332.JPG
    Notice the difference in the pistons. Brackets were made so the old TQ compressor would fit on the pay loader.

Here Louie is installing the 'new' compressor.
    IMG_4340.JPG
    I am not sure how much fiddling he had to do so the hoses hooked up.

The radiator is back in place. Klinger is hooking up the wires.
    IMG_4343.JPG

I had to leave shortly after noon, to this is the last picture of this project I have. I don't know if the pay loader went out under it's own power or not. Hopefully, someone will add a comment or two about the progress.

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

M Kerkvliet and mrnewway like this.
  5. cjmlarson

cjmlarson Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

I left at 2:00 and it looked like it was going to need another partial day to finish, due to needing some fittings and such.

6. Jerry Christiansen

Hi all,

More pictures.
    The 'new' Thirst Quencher was back in.

IMG_4319.JPG

The hose reel from the old truck had some updating.
    IMG_4326.JPG
    Doxey did a bit of metal work to stiffen up the mount.

IMG_4338.JPG
    Here you can see the hose on the 'new' truck.

IMG_4331.JPG
    You can tell this picture was taken earlier in the day than the picture above. Before the reel was put in place, the brake air chambers were replace with some from the 'old' TQ. Those chambers were nearly new.
    Since I left a bit after dinner, I don't know how much more progress happened on the TQ. Hopefully someone will let us know.

In case anyone was wondering,
    IMG_4328.JPG
    doughnuts were present. Wimpy said they weren't any good and that he would eat them all so no one else would need to suffer.

This trailer was back in again.
    IMG_4327.JPG
    The plan is to get the tank mounted, then mount a hot water pressure washer on the trailer.

IMG_4335.JPG
    Merle has the cross members welded in place and is getting close to strapping the tank in place.

IMG_4339.JPG
    A flat piece of steel plate is being shaped to fit on the opposite end of the trailer. Before noon, this was welded in place. I believe this was done do extend the trailer for other the washer and other things that will go on this unit.

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen

M Kerkvliet likes this.
  7. JLWithers

JLWithers Junior Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

We know Aidan well in the Otto building. Very energetic young man. I'm sure he had a blast.

M Kerkvliet likes this.
  8. curtis rice

curtis rice WMSTR Lifetime Members WMSTR Lifetime Member

Thanks to everyone at the workday and the Otto bld for including Aidan in on the fun he had a great time helping. He's counting down the days to head back. Thanks

Curt

9. cjmlarson

cjmlarson Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Curt, Louie and I got the case loader running and moving this past Saturday. We had a few issues but all in all it did not go to bad, it moves forward and back and the hydraulics and newer style air compressor seems to work good. Wiring on this unit is a rats nest and I believe Bob C. and Louie have decided to just rewire it so it gets done correctly and will work.

Thanks to all that helped with this project so the show now has a working loader again.
    Clayton

10. Ned

Ned Mega Poster WMSTR Lifetime Member

Curt,
    Thanks again for coming and bring Aidan I'm not sure how we would have gotten the fusible plug in the merry-go-round boiler without him. It just goes to show that there's always help needed no matter how big the helper is!!!!

11. Jerry Christiansen

Clayton,

Thanks to you three for putting in the extra time on the loader. I am sure the larger capacity air compressor will be a good deal for that outfit.

Later,
    Jerry Christiansen