Darrel Dey

Craig Mattson

Vice President, Mega Poster
Administrator
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Monday Darrel went in for a heart valve replacement and they have ran into some complications. He has been sedated and on dialysis most of the week. He will be going into surgery again tomorrow to try and resolve the issues.

Please keep Darrel in your thoughts and Prayers!

Things are progressing slowly however in the right direction. His nurse has had him out of bed in a chair a couple times today. Muscle wise he is very weak which is very normal. They are giving his nutrition to him through his nose at this point because they don't want him to aspirate which means his throat is weak from the vent tube yet. His nurse feels he is doing very well and his vitals are stable.

Craig, thanks for the update! Darrel has been my good friend for many years and I'm praying for his speedy recovery.

In my childhood, replacing a heart valve was a new and exciting possibility. In my parents' childhood, an ailing heart valve was difficult to diagnose, and nearly impossible to treat. To the noble souls that have brought us such beneficial advances in medical science in our day, as our forebears brought us advances in mechanical and agricultural sciences in times past, I raise my glass.

To Darrel, may the slow start to your recovery not delay you from the finish; may your years stretch long, and your enjoyment of them be multiplied sevenfold among those graced by your presence.

And to the author and creator of this marvelous if fallen universe in which we live; may your will be done, and your Name be exalted among the nations.

Sounds like Darrel had a good day yesterday. He is out of the ICU and in a regular room. They took the feeding tube out yesterday and he is eating on his own now. Lots of pudding and ground food for now though. He is able to stand without help now but still has a little ways to go on walking alone. They aren't sure yet when he will be transferred to the Frazee Care Center but it could be sooner than they originally anticipated if things keep going well!

Had a conversation with Darrell the other day and some may not have heard of the set back that occurred after Craig's note on the 11th. Thursday the 12th (I'm fairly sure that was the day) his heart quit for 8-1/2 minutes. His recovery has been very slow, but is actually making progress. He can lift a pound with his left hand, and walk about 100 feet with a walker. Keep him in your prayers, he plans to make ice cream on kids day........hopefully that happens!

Wow... serious stuff Ray. Thanks for the information. Will continue to keep him in prayer, and look forward to some homemade ice cream!

Back