Baker Depot Roofing Project

A great job done by a great crew of "young" people! It took a determined group to deal with the height, heat, and dirt! The project was done in the true WMSTR spirit where everyone pitched in and made the project a complete success from start to cleanup. Sunday afternoon, I commented, if you drove by and didn't look up you would not have known anything had taken place!
THANKS, "young" people.
Merlyn

Greetings all,

I wanted to thank everyone who contributed to making the Baker depot project a huge success this weekend!

We battled heat, sun, a stiff breeze [Friday] and a whole bunch of old shingles and shakes, not to mention a few thousand nails, steep pitch (Boyd had a tool to measure the pitch, and it was about 33 degrees, WOW)

We had a number of people pitch in, between the crew on or near the roof, the crew on the ground cleaning up, or gophering for things, the ladies preparing and serving food, and the few that stopped by to look things over for a few minutes this was a LARGE undertaking by an account and couldn't have gotten done in the time it did without all of you.

We had the West side completed by about 11:30, just in time for lunch. There was a brief concern of rain Saturday afternoon, but we rolled the dice to push thru and get as much as we could. It turned out that the rain held off, and we papered and laid a few rows on the East side to get a jump on Sunday.

There was a crew back up at 6am Sunday morning to wrap up the task, and shortly after 8am, we were completing the last bit of ridge cap!

Cleaning up was a chore, but there we plenty on hand. It was hard to tell the mess we had by the time we were completed.

Again, this was a team effort, and we all pulled together to make it happen. Without the help and knowledge that pitched in, it would have been a much different story.

I understand that Boyd and Shirley will be working to prepare the building for paint in the very near future. By showtime, this should be an excellent attraction to see as you enter the East gate!

Here are a few photos I had taken when I didn't have my hands full:

Perry rethinking his offer of help. He helped out on Friday when I was trying to get a head start. (Future note, tear off is much better with 6 people than 2)
IMG_20130712_145318_804copy.jpg

Getting the West side papered and shingled mid morning:
IMG_20130713_085637_414copy.jpg

Tearing down on the East side, Perry tries to catch the not so elusive shinglefish:
IMG_20130713_130556_335copy.jpg

Getting the East side started at the end of Saturday:
IMG_20130713_173222_564copy.jpg

Josh taking a nap about 7:30 Sunday morning, but note he's ready to jump to action with nailer in hand:
IMG_20130714_075730_689copy.jpg

More photos to come....

Not much to add that has not already been said here by others.

Shingling is never an easy project at WMSTR, and it is not easy to get volunteers for a project of this scope.

Take a look at this picture...

IMG_20130713_130556_335copy.jpg

When you look at the mess at the those guys feet, a layer of dusty cedar shakes under 2 more layers of asphalt, and then the tar paper that was mixed in along with thousands and thousands of tiny nails to be pulled, and then add in the 90˚ heat and high humidity and a very steep roof!

Sound like a good way to spend a nice summer weekend to you?

Actually, it was. Everyone had a good time, and we had a few new members come and help out! There was plenty of BS to go around, an abundance of good natured ribbing each other, and some very good socializing at the end of the day!

Everyone from roofers, carpenters, cooks, clean up crew, equipment operators, and even a few cheer leaders made the job a fun one. Now we are about a coat of paint away from having this once ignored depot, in serious need of repair before it rotted where it sat... back in its former condition and in a new highly visible spot on the grounds!

On behalf of the WMSTR Board of Directors, a HUGE thank you to ALL involved in this latest chapter!

You're right Mark.. Not sure how I neglected the total disaster we had to work with for tear off. Had we not had the shakes to deal with, it would have been a far less tedious task. The shakes came off in splinters fort he most part, and then the nails. Yes, the nails. We also kept Merlyn busy cutting new boards to replace some old rotted/broken boards, as well as new trim to replace the old crown molding that was starting to rot away in many places.

It was great to see help from many areas of the show, and varied experience and skills help too, really shows the teamwork of our organization.

Big project, big crew, big result and BIG THANKS again!

Back