36-120 Rumely phase 2

Ok its picture time!!! :thewave:

The first couple pictures were taken in early October and show some of the outside work

First I have is the smoke stack coming off
002_zps099bed18.jpg

Second picture is of Nick Olson driving the forklift taking one of the water tanks.

010_zps0069ce89.jpg

This picture shows the Rumely without the stack tanks most of the plumbing off and the smokebox door and ring removed

012_zps3b9f6dda.jpg

Louie came over with the payloader to take the canopy off

1016121723.jpg

Rumely topless and ready to come in to Jims Shop

1016121723a.jpg

Here is a shot of the right rear wheel being removed.

E9CE41F0-C916-4316-99CF-3841C3FE6C88-511-00000028DEBE0143.jpg

This picture shows the Mitchells torching the upper and lower cannon bearings and I'm starting to torch the engine from the boiler

IMAG0214.jpg

This one shows our president Mark taking a turn torching and Nick watching

IMAG0192.jpg

more pictures later

I'm not sure what Nick is working on but heres a view of the old boiler everythings is off except the steering shaft and if you look close you can see a freshly painted engine (GOOD JOB LOUIE!!!:thumb:)

021.jpg

Heres another view of the front end coming off

023.jpg

THANKS to Jim for letting the Rollag crew work on the Rumely in his shop for an entire week!!

I liked this picture it's new old Rumely boiler meeting old old Rumely boiler (kinda sad) wish we could have saved both boilers

024.jpg

Freshly painted engine on the new boiler

025.jpg

Here's some of Louies handy work freshly painted platform

027.jpg

just a note wait til louie puts the spray gun down before you tell him he missed a spot otherwise you will be painted :rof:

Starting to look more and more like a steam engine again :thewave:

031.jpg

Rear wheels going on and some of the plumbing installed

033.jpg

I guess I'll just keep posting pictures I know Nick has some too and I'm pretty sure there are some others out there too

No longer on rubber tires!!! :thewave: sort of looks alittle like the American Abell

037.jpg

Had to get a pic of Kelly M he seemed to hide when every the camera came out. Heres Kelly pulling the boiler cart out.
036.jpg

Wow that is fantastic progress! I am impressed with how far things have gotten with it. Wish I could be there to lend a hand, but it sure looks like things are under control with it.

Thanks for keeping us up to date Ned. I look forward to seeing it in person.

Darren

WOW.

Very impressed to see the progress. Are you able to visually see the faults in the old boiler now that it's all apart?

The smokebox on the new boiler looks shorter. Is it a different year boiler or did somebody modify it? Looks fantastic. Which engine is next on the list?

To answer your questions Tim yes the were some areas that needed to be address.

Jeff good eye :thumb: I was wondering if anyone would catch that. There is an addtion to the smoke box on the old boiler. When it showed up at Larson welding orginally there was no extension we don't know why but Elmer decided to add 6 to 8 inches. Maybe for draft maybe just for looks :Shrugs: there was some debate on if we should add it to the new boiler or go back to orginal. It was decided to leave it off

This is what 13 months of hard work and dedication by WMSTR volunteers looks like. These pictures were taken sunday the 24th. We are at about 90% complete at this point.:thumb: Tonite I saw the water tanks and coal bunkers are painted and ready for install.

055.jpg

053.jpg

057.jpg

Thanks to all involved in this project
Special Thanks to Jim for the use of his shop
Thanks to everyone else for their support this is what makes for a great organization :thewave:

Jeff - Good question..

If you go back to this post: HERE, you can see the two different pictures show different boilers. The first photo shows the short smokebox and the finished one shows the longer smokebox.... Anyone able to chime in on the differences? It's almost as if the boilers got swapped way back then, or they're two different engines..

Difference in the smokeboxes, yes. But did anyone notice the difference in size of the forklifts in post #2 and #11?? OH WAIT! That's the same forklift. There must be a difference in the size of the operators. :rof:
You guys have done a super job. I was hoping to help out this winter, but by the time I get to Fargo it will just be to admire your work. Thanks for the pictures & way to go. (apologies to Nick & Kelly---NOT!) -john

Back